Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Bring back from the dead??

LawnBarber

Default Bring back from the dead??

I have a "friend" who experimented on there own lawn (small area) with some Feed & Weed. They may have got a little excited and over used the product. The lawn now looks very ill. It is not growing at all like the surrounding area. Any chance of bringing it back?

Murray

Default Re: Bring back from the dead??

Weednfeed shouldn't be used on some lawn varieties, and never on a stressed lawn. With the heat/wind/drought we've been experiencing, likely your lawn is indeed stressed already.

If you've been watering your lawn and you used granular weednfeed, everytime the lawn gets wet you 'reactivate' the product - possibly once you have learned to calm the stormy seas and walk on water, then you might have the credentials to resurrect this lawn!

Since effected area is 'small', perhaps a vac may assist removing some excess!

Dilution of fish emulsion is usually useful in helping prevent/reduce shock in a wide variety of plants. It might be worth a try on your lawn.

Let us know how you get on...
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Murray

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass
    ... possibly once you have learned to calm the stormy seas and walk on water, then you might have the credentials to resurrect this lawn!...

Let us know how you get on...

...and, if it works, how much per litre?

Quote Originally Posted by Murray
    ...and, if it works, how much per litre?
    Cost will be the same whether it works or not!

Sea water - free! But I recommend you avoid, he he

Fish emulsion - maybe $5 or $10, but a little goes a long way. Just a 'splash' in a bucket of fresh water. You can use this on your lawn/plants at any time. Its a pretty mild tonic.

Alternately, Seasol would probably be a better option.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

I would make a mixture of both seasol and fish emulsion, if it doesn't recover the surrounding grass runners should spread over the affected area in time.

Very Helpful Member

lawnbarbara did the "fiend" use granular[powder]or liquid and what variety of grass is it
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Very Helpful Member

good for anything not just poisoned ones
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Very Helpful Member

i posted at 10:41 in response to murry but it shows 9:41 big time diff between southern and eastern subs of melb. lol

Murray

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass
    ...You can use this on your lawn/plants at any time. Its a pretty mild tonic.
    Sorry, but, are you saying that this solution could reduce the heat shock we have had here or just poisoned stuff?

My Pumpkin plant is eager for a response!

Seasol (and fish emulsion) is amazing at helping prevent/reduce shock and to reduce stress whether that be from transplanting, heavy pruning, heat, disease - and I am gussing is also worth a try with stress from chemical overuse.

This stuff will help any plant be more resilient - but will not guarantee survival from everything. Really, you should reduce the chemical levels on this 'hot spot' if you can. If granular was used, vacuum some of it up.

If area affected is indeed small, consider digging hotspot out and replacing with fresh soil. Healthy runners should cover over.
    Last edited by glassngrass; 10-02-2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: typo
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Spot on couldn't have said it better myself!
    Feed little and often is my motto, keep the plants strong and not stressed in the first place and you have won half the battle. Seasol is amazing stuff used regularly.