Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laws For Spraying...

Ebony

Default Laws For Spraying...

Lawns For Spraying/Applying pesticides

VICTORIA

The law states that a person who carries a business using herbicides, insecticides or fungicide is exempt from needing a commercial operators license (section 30 of the Agricultural and Veterinary Chemicals (control of Use) Act 1992)) provided all the chemical use is done in residential gardens and the person using the chemical has completed a recognised training course in farm chemical use (see below for details on course).

Further Information: Department of Natural Recourses and Environment: Chemical Standards Branch Ph: (03) 9210 9361, Fax: (03) 9210 9298 Or website: http://www.nre.vic.gov.au/farming/chemstds/intro.htm

The Farm Chemical Users Course is around 16 hours in length and is usually held over 2 – 3 days depending on the institute and area. The price of this course varies from around $100 to $150, once again depending on area and provider.

Further details can be obtained by ChemCert Australia (Vic) Inc. on Ph: (03) 5622 2055, Fax: (03) 5622 2199 or email: chemcertvic@sympac.com.au

Click here to view a list of providers who are accredited to conduct the Farm Chemical users course.

Ebony

WESTERN AUSTRALIA

The law states that all persons who apply herbicides or pesticides for fee or reward to be licensed. To put it simply two licenses are needed, a commercial pesticide firm licence and a pesticide operator license. The current fee for these licences is: Commercial Pesticide Firm Licence: $270 and Pesticide Operator Licence: $135.

Further details available HERE

Ebony

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Under current laws in South Australia a licence is needed to spray pesticides, however under the current law there is an exemption. Contractors usually have to apply for exemption but after considerably lengthy phone conversations with Robert Taylor, of department of Human Services they are looking into having the law changed to excluding commercial applicators of low toxicity herbicides such as glyphosate from hand held equipment from the licensing provisions, as is the case in some other States.

The following is an extract from an email to ourselves from Robert Taylor:

“Notwithstanding the current licensing provisions regarding exemptions, DHS has no intention of taking regulatory action against such users, as these people are not included amongst the group of commercial users over whom the Regulations were intended to provide controls.

As for those members who wish to provide a weed control service on a larger scale, they should be advised to contact the Pest Control Unit to obtain the necessary details, as it is probable that they will be required to complete the relevant TAFE course and be appropriately licensed.”

Ebony

NEW SOUTH WALES

After speaking to Work cover in length we were informed that there is no licensing law effecting people spraying herbicides. The controlled substances act applies to the use of Pesticides and not herbicides. So no licence is needed to spray herbicides.

For further details on licensing please phone Work cover on: Ph: (02) 9370 5036

What does the New Law Say (Relating to Records)

· If you use pesticides (herbicides, fungicides, insecticides etc.) on your produce or farm, or in your business or occupation, then you must make a record of your pesticide use.

· The record needs to contain information about: who applied the pesticide; what was applied; when, how and where it was applied; what it was applied to, how much was applied, and if the pesticide was applied outdoors by spray equipment, an estimate of wind speed and direction.

· The record must be made within 24 hours of use and kept for three years.

· EPA officers may check these records at any resonable time and penalties may apply if the records have not been kept in accordance with the new law.

Exemptions

Businesses (such as landscape gardeners and shop keepers), public authorities, landlords and green keepers that use small quantities of household pesticides and apply them by hand or hand-held equipment, may not need to record such uses.

If you use pesticides as part of your business or occupation as specified above you are not required to keep a record for jobs where you do all of the following things:

· You only use pesticides that are available to everyone for home or garden use, and

· You use the pesticide in small quantities, that is: you use the pesticides outdoors in quantities of no more than 5 litres/5 kilograms of concentrated product or 20 litres/20 kilograms of the ready-to-use product. You use the pesticide indoors in quantities no more than 1 litre/1 kilogram of concentrated product or 5 litres/ 5 kilograms of the ready-to-use product and

· You apply the pesticide by hand or by using hand held equipment only.

Please note that even in circumstances where you do not need to keep records, you are still responsible for the correct and careful use of that product at all times. If it is found that you have misused a pesticide you may be penalised for doing so.

For further details visit: www.epa.nsw.gov.au/pesticides/ or phone (02) 9995 5000.

Ebony

QUEENSLAND

I did all the research, got all the information. Then it went missing. I know from memory that it depends on which Zone you are in, which will effect whether a license is required etc. I had maps and all

I will try and find the info, if not I will look into it again

The above information can be found at www.indmowing.com.au

Tonyr

Yeah Ebony, it is just a 1 dayer and done through the DPI.

Just buy the 3 books study, book in and sit for a day testing.
    All basic stuff, a lot not even revelant to most mowing contractors but more for commercial rural contractors, but rules is rules....

But I guess if you are new to chemicals and application it would be a must and be interesting, I had my farm ag safe one 1st, a 1 dayer too, very similar. Couldn't get some chems. without it.

But I think if the govn. wants to licence contractors from applying chems. then to be fair the general residential unlicenced market shouldn't be allowed, like driving a car, licence says you can, no licence says ya can't, applying chemicals e.g softer herbacides and fungacides is pretty straight forward, to be fair it shouldn't require a licence because it is not policable, a licence should be required for the product of more serious nature that regular folk shouldn't be using anyway, imo.

pbm

What certificate do I need for spraying at a school in Victoria?

Default Re: Laws For Spraying...

Remember these laws can change

Anybody that has info on Queensland laws please lay a post
    Thanks

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Still unsure about the laws regarding the application of round up .
    Ive heard and seen some regs state the following concerning not having to have a licence if .....
    Applied on residential gardens only
    Using mannual process ie a pressure sprayer not exceeding 10 litres
    I know there were posts earlier but that was in 2004 , I belive some laws have changed since....????

The way I understand it.......

You need a licence if you are spraying using an electrically or mechanicaly driven pump on any property other than your own.

You don't need a licence if you are spraying using a manually driven pressure sprayer (i.e a napsac)

However if you hold a licence the most important piece of the act weather using an electric/mechanical or manual sprayer is you must keep a spray diary and record every time you spray.
    Cheers, Jason.

If your lawns and garden's have lost their Mojo...
    Call Mowjo Man

Last edited by administrator; 10-06-2009 at 02:07 PM.

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Quote Originally Posted by administrator
    thanks admin . i am still confused , i have read several articles on the net and the primary industry site and for what I have gleaned is that houshold garden products dont come under the envelope for licensing....round up is a houshold garden product available to the public so i am still not sure whether a licence is still required....pesticides seems clear cut that a licence is required ...herbicides used by the general public ..not sure.....Appears to be too many rulkes from different govt authorities...if anyone has been fined for using round up by mechanical means for reward please step forward

Quote Originally Posted by administrator
    This is for pestercides you need to look up herbicdes.
    Regards nev

Now this is bureaucracy gone mad. We need licences but the average Joe can spray as much as he likes. What a load of shyte. And just who is going to police this. The nasty "Herbicide Police" Give me a break. What is this country coming to.

As an ex enforcement officer I can tell you this is mainly why I quit the game. We are far to over regulated and common sense has gone out the window. We should spray the hairy armpitted, placard waving, lesbian/poofter legislation making idiots first.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

go bluey u tell em mate.... but I still need to see it in black and white , what are the rules for round up for contractors????i believe its on the household product thus not subject to licence...but i dont have the facts

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast