Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Laws For Spraying...

Default Re: Laws For Spraying...

Quote Originally Posted by haireyscarie
    you cant use any thing bigger then 15 ltr
    so only hand pumps and 15 ltr backpacks
    so you are better off getting the ticket so you can spray the big jobs with the 50,100,200,ltr sprayers
    Yes, I agree with you, but as I said, if you purchase the same products as the homeowners do, then you are OK to apply those (Homeowner registered herbicides) products with a small hand-held sprayer or with a large truck with a 50,000 litre tank / spray unit.

Link for other states as well as vic

http://www.indmowing.com.au/html/laws_for_spraying.htm

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Quote Originally Posted by administrator
    Yes about 95 percent of lawnies /gardeneners and landscapers are breaking the law when spraying roundup or any other chemical for a fee .
    The excemption still requires you to do a course and i wonder if thats a course to read the label on the roundup label on the bottle.
    Surely doesnt make any sense at all.

We will be having further chats to the authorities on this matter to see if we can find a solution .

Again I will say....who is going to police this. Can you see an inspector coming down the street knocking of lawnies for spraying roundup on a clients property. Better still can you see a case such as this getting up in front of a Magistrate.

If one came up to me I would say it was fertiliser. How the hell is he going to prove different.

I can see the need for a cert if you are using huge amounts that could cause a problem but we don't use anywhere near that. What gets me about this is that supposedly as a lawnie we need a cert but Joe Average could fill his swimming pool with roundup without one.

It is poorly thought out legislation ( if it even exists in all states) and definitely not one that is likely to be policed in the near future. So until they start handing out tickets to lawnies for being roundup bandits I am going without any certificate.

We are seeing a raft of legislation being brought out by rosy eyed legislators who have got bugger all knowledge of the real world. About time they got out of their cosy cocaine fueled brain fogs and learned what happens in the real world.

Bet they haven't asked the poor sod who one day may have to really enforce this crap if he had any ideas on it. Better still bet they haven't asked the lawnies for input either.

Man do I hate legislators.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    Again I will say....who is going to police this. Can you see an inspector coming down the street knocking of lawnies for spraying roundup on a clients property. Better still can you see a case such as this getting up in front of a Magistrate.

If one came up to me I would say it was fertiliser. How the hell is he going to prove different.

I can see the need for a cert if you are using huge amounts that could cause a problem but we don't use anywhere near that. What gets me about this is that supposedly as a lawnie we need a cert but Joe Average could fill his swimming pool with roundup without one.

It is poorly thought out legislation ( if it even exists in all states) and definitely not one that is likely to be policed in the near future. So until they start handing out tickets to lawnies for being roundup bandits I am going without any certificate.

We are seeing a raft of legislation being brought out by rosy eyed legislators who have got bugger all knowledge of the real world. About time they got out of their cosy cocaine fueled brain fogs and learned what happens in the real world.

Bet they haven't asked the poor sod who one day may have to really enforce this crap if he had any ideas on it. Better still bet they haven't asked the lawnies for input either.

Man do I hate legislators.
    I must admit to being more than a little bit gobsmacked by the above post! Let's take a step backwards & think this thing out! Bluey, you are of course quite correct in your assertion that there are no "Glypho Police" out there trawling the streets of suburbia looking for contractors spraying "Round UP" without a licence. But there are customers, neighbors, and nosey people EVERYWHERE!

I have a very good friend (I'm off out to tea with him tomorrow as it happens!) who, a number of years ago, sprayed a yard that you can probably see from your front door! No complaints on that occasion from anyone. Then, 3 weeks later he went back & spot sprayed the weeds that were still alive (as ALL good contractors would have!) & whilst he was doing so, the neighbor poked her beak over the fence & demanded to know what he was spraying. Why? says he! "Because my daughter is convulsing" says she! In reality there is probably very little chance that her daughter was convulsing because he was spraying glypho, but after very much stress, court appearances & insurance companies not wanting to know later, he had to refinance his house to settle her claim against him. This guy is qualified to spray & has an exception to do so. What do you think they would have done to you in those circumstances? I'd say it would be "watch your fingers, CLUNK as the cell door closed behind you!

Despite many, many years of Monsanto etc telling everyone that Glyphosate is harmless to mammals (i.e HUMANS! ) It has now come out that Glypho does indeed react within the human body. One of the really bad things that occurs is that Glypho becomes a carcinogen when it comes into contact with human saliva. Just pause & think about that for a second or 2! And that's just one of the bad things that are now being discovered about this product. The medium that is used in many of the cheaper brands of Glypho is also carcinogenic. To the best of my knowledge, all of the glypho produced in the world is made in China.

Just my 2 cents

Quote Originally Posted by kakegc
    In reality there is probably very little chance that her daughter was convulsing because he was spraying glypho, but after very much stress, court appearances & insurance companies not wanting to know later, he had to refinance his house to settle her claim against him. This guy is qualified to spray & has an exception to do so.
    Hi Kakegc

So what benefit did he get for being qualified. What evidence did she bring to court that made him settle the case with her. Why didn't he keep going. From what I see it is a case of damned if you do or damned if you don't. She had to prove it was his spraying that was causing her daugther's illness. I take it he had PL insurance and they dropped him is that correct. Why.

My point on this is we can get hung up in the red tape of having to have this license or this one or another one. If we do we would do nothing else but sit courses.

If a product is freely allowed to be used by the general public in any quantity then why the hell do we have to have license. If the legislators turn around and say this product needs a license full stop then ok I would get one.

Your mate got a bad run but his being licensed didn't really help from the sounds of things. There's no way anyone is going to the slammer for this even if they could prove the girl's convulsing was caused by the operator spraying round up.As you said she was probably trying it on and the convulsing (even it it occurred) could have been caused by any number of things such as the neighbour spraying roundup.

What would being licensed do to protect you in this event if it was fair dinkum. Are you required to door knock every home surrounding the property to find out if any resident of that property might be allergic to roundup. How do you warn people of the fact. What do you do if they are.

Think about this. We could end up bogged down in so many regulations that we would give up using the product. Maybe that is what the legislators want but if that is the case take it off the shelf.

It may be true it is a carinogen but there are stacks more chemicals in use in the household that are too. In a lot of cases actually being licensed to do something can work against you in a law suit.

We mow lawns and use roundup to kill unwanted weeds. Joe Average does the same thing. The only difference is we do more and make our living from it and are better at it. Does that mean we have to have a license?

I am not being demeaning but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to do this job. You have to have lots of good skills which most of us learn on the job the hard way. Are we now saying we need a license to be a lawnie. Is that the next step. If it is then count me out. I like this job because it is not overly or inappropriately regulated. Lets not make it that way.
    Cheers

Bluey

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Bluey Just a tip for South Australians Dean had the legislation changed in SA You can spray round up without a licence the health department ammended the law a few years ago after Indy asked the health department the right questions there is a post on it somewhere also the email FROM THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT saying no one will be fined for spraying round up as a business service in SA .

Thanks for that and my thanks to Dean for doing so. Makes perfectly good sense to me. So we are safe over here but what about the rest.
    Cheers

Bluey

The campaign is still going on in other states but Dean is very optimistic that the other states will follow except for WA seems that the health department likes the 2 licence rule yes 2 licences are required even to spray round up at` a cost to the contractor per year of 650.00 Bazzaar lol
    ya think

Yes it should be the same across all states. No licence to spray glyphso.
    I chose to have a licence as I need to spray out broadleaf weeder, Spearhead, Poa Check and other chemicals, these I use on private lawns but mostly on commercial site; workshops, golf courses and bowling greens. I have to fill out 3 sheets, one site assement sheet, two chemical application and three chemcial storage log. I have to keep these for 3 years. Normally I know when I am going to spray all chemicals except for roundup, If I spray roundup on a job I still write up a log into my diary and then transfer it to the offical documents when I get home. I also carry signs stating that I am applying, Pesticides, Herbicides or Fungicides and I place them on the street at driveway and front gate. This is a requirement for applying the chemicals if you have a licence. It is meant to save you from loosing your house. I have been told by golf courses Insurance company that if I do all this then the Insurance company will pay out the liablity claim and will even fight the claim as you have done everything required of you under NSW Legistration. I wonder?
    I hope I never find out but I will continue to dot my I's and cross my T's when it comes to applying chemicals, even roundup until the laws change.

Quote Originally Posted by administrator
    Bluey Just a tip for South Australians Dean had the legislation changed in SA You can spray round up without a licence the health department ammended the law a few years ago after Indy asked the health department the right questions there is a post on it somewhere also the email FROM THE HEALTH DEPARTMENT saying no one will be fined for spraying round up as a business service in SA .

"Dean had the legislation changed in SA" GIVE ME A BREAK!!!! You have NEVER had to have a licence to spray less than 15 litres of glypho at a job in SA, FACT. You do however HAVE TO HAVE A LICENCE to spray commercial quantities of Glyho in SA, FACT!

The law was NEVER amended because of anything Ind mowing did or didn't do, but the health Dept have clarified the rules after TAFE at Urbrae made inquiries (prompted mostly by franchisees who were students on the Cert 4 in Turf Grass Management Courses)

The law on this is quite clear; It is an offence to receive monetary gain of favor for spraying chemicals without a licence"!

I strongly suggest that anyone entering this industry LEARN THE FACTS about what they are doing by attending some type of Hort course at TAFE. Whilst I despise the franchise system, I am the first to admit that franchises are light years in front of most Indies in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey

I am not being demeaning but you don't have to be a rocket scientist to do this job. You have to have lots of good skills which most of us learn on the job the hard way. Are we now saying we need a license to be a lawnie. Is that the next step. If it is then count me out. I like this job because it is not overly or inappropriately regulated. Lets not make it that way.
    Having read your other posts, it is quite clear that you are very, very experienced at web advertising & similar matters. But, sorry, you are coming across as a complete novice as a professional gardener mate!

Having read your other posts, it is quite clear that you are very, very experienced at web advertising & similar matters. But, sorry, you are coming across as a complete novice as a professional gardener mate!
    Are we "gardeners" who also do lawns for a living or "lawn mowing contractors" who do some gaedening for a living?????
    I know what i do and am quite happy but some others do different and are quite happy also.
    Its back to the "horses for courses" and respecting each others opinions and reasons for doing what they are doing.

Just to help

SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Under current laws in South Australia a licence is needed to spray pesticides, however under the current law there is an exemption. Contractors usually have to apply for exemption but after considerably lengthy phone conversations with Robert Taylor, of department of Human Services they are looking into having the law changed to excluding commercial applicators of low toxicity herbicides such as glyphosate from hand held equipment from the licensing provisions, as is the case in some other States.

The following is an extract from an email to ourselves from Robert Taylor:

“Notwithstanding the current licensing provisions regarding exemptions, DHS has no intention of taking regulatory action against such users, as these people are not included amongst the group of commercial users over whom the Regulations were intended to provide controls.

As for those members who wish to provide a weed control service on a larger scale, they should be advised to contact the Pest Control Unit to obtain the
    necessary details, as it is probable that they will be required to complete the relevant TAFE course and be appropriately licensed.”

Think this was around 2002

Also around early 80s the laws came in because the franchise pest control businesses campaigned for it which wasnt a bad idea .
    Last edited by administrator; 21-06-2009 at 08:00 PM.

Well Kakegc I am sorry to see you take this stance. Whilst I might not do things like you and not agree with your way of thinking on this subject it does not make me unprofessional. Far from it. I am at a loss why you you think my position of not wanting this industry over regulated with stupid regulations would make me so.

Your example with your friend showed to me that there is bugger all to be gained from having a license anyway. He still ended up paying out to the plantiff though I still don't know why he choose to to do so and not fight it as I think he would have won it just from what you have told us.

I am now a bit confused with the whole issue because in your post recently you stated that we have never had to have a license to spray more than 15 litres of roundup (which I never do at any one time) but we do if we spray commercial quantities (exactly what is a commercial quantity). Then Admin tells us we don't have to have a license as he has had this confirmed by the relevant authority here in SA. Yet you then go on to say that if we spray for commercial gain we need a license. So what is the truth?

You say the law is quite clear on it. What legislation is it we are talking about that covers it. Point me in the right direction and I will have a look at it and see exactly what it says. Not only that I will undertake to clarify officially with the relevant authority just exactly what is their stance is on this issue and post back here the results so everyone can be clear on it too.

Oh and just a tip. Before you imply that anyone is unprofessional or doesn't know what they are doing it might pay to find out the FACTS first before you make a post of this nature. You don't know me or my background or training.

I think you could have approached this in a far better way than having a shot at me personally. But having said that it doesn't really worry me how you think about me so lets get on with finding out the real truth behind the law on spraying roundup in SA.
    Cheers

Bluey

Kakegc!! Got everything in the wifes name so that shouldnt effect me
    Is that a professional enough approach

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast