Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: What to do?

Senior Member The Local Gardener's Avatar

Default What to do?

Twice this week, I have had customers ringing back cancelling jobs.

Should I make them aware if they cancell after booking, they will incur a charge or should I forgett about it and move in..

One of them said, my uncle will come and do it and the other said, the neighbour will do it. I felt like telling them to fk off and don't waste peoples time.....

Is it the recession, is it the fact that the cowboys in our industry will do it for milk money? Seriously..... It truly annoyed me. I spent half an hour, talking sh1t with one of them after I had converted the quote. Unfortunately for me, it was a partricular ethnicity who I promised my self I would never go and quote again.

Don't mind me fellow indies, I am sure we have all stories to tell.

Default Re: What to do?

I think we have to go with the flow - if a client cancels because they have family/friend/neighbour offer to do it for nothing, you can understand them taking up the offer. If we haven't done any work, we can't charge anything out...same goes for jobs we spend time doing a quote on, but don't get.
    It is tough times for a lot of people and we had a regular customer recently decide to get her son to take over the mowing work, using the mower they have had in their back shed to save some $$$ - it should be good character development for him, I reckon.
    When we lose a job, we offer to be there as a back-up, should the new arrangement not work out. That way you don't close the door completely, and it keeps the "goodwill" aspect of the business relationship alive.
    Ciao for now ~ Christine
    senior partner ~ Townsville Lawn Care
    http://townsvillelawncare.webs.com

A customer is either a regular OR an ad-hoc, not a bit of both. I have a policy regarding cancelled jobs - three strikes and your out!
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

we have that too regular is regular and is quoted at a price if they cancel often they then become casual so casual means higher price

Senior Member The Local Gardener's Avatar

She even offered to pay up front. I said to her no.. You will pay me for when the job is done. I am an honest and reliable person. Them the breaks and that's the way some people want to roll.

Don't worry too much about them. It happens to us all from time to time. Like others have said here treat your good customers well and the not so good ones pay more.

I had one on a regular for yonks at 2 weekly interval. Just over a month ago canceled due to rain and said let it wait for the next two weeks. No probs that's what I did but because the grass was higher and it took me longer to cut I charged him extra. He didn't say a thing and paid no worries and has again asked to be done on a month rotation. Doesn't worry me as I am making more from him that way. I reckon he will wise up soon enough and go back to a two week rotation.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."