Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: David's bookkeeping corner.

Default Re: David's bookkeeping corner.

David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

A few have asked me about whether the $20/MO QBO Plus offer can be taken by those already on QBO.
    Until the end of this month, YES !

I would become the subscriber of the datafile, and resell to you at the discounted rate (billed annually).
    The rate will never increase as long as it is thru me.
    If you ever wanted to take over or transfer subscription late, then that's okay too.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass View Post
    A few have asked me about whether the $20/MO QBO Plus offer can be taken by those already on QBO.
    Until the end of this month, YES !
    I have just two left.

I can also pass on a new with using Xero - 25% off any Xero business edition for first 12 months. (new subscriptions only).
    This offer available only until xmas eve.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Default Migrate from old QuickBooks (Reckon) to Xero for free

The following is from Jet Convert - a service that takes data files from various other software and bring the historical transactions into Xero.
    Just before end of tax year - a great time to migrate if you were thinking about it.

Act now to avoid losing valuable data

Under the Xero sponsored conversion service we provide current (2016) plus previous (2015) financial year of transactional history. At the moment you can potentially receive history dating back as far as 1 July 2014 for a July-June financial year.

After 1 July 2016 the financial years roll over and current (2017) plus previous (2016) financial year of transactional history will then start at 1 July 2015. You effectively lose the first year of history once we move into the new financial year.
    Also now is a perfect time to move your clients. You can avoid the EOFY rush and receive all the efficiencies associated with Xero ready for year end. Read more.

So don't lose that 12 months of data, convert now and maximise the amount of information your client will receive.
    We Reckon it's time to move to Xero

Great news, due to the popularity of the new Reckon service we have extended the pilot for a few more months.

Sponsored by Xero so that they are free to you they include:

• Full transactional history for the current and previous financial year
    • Reckon Chart of Accounts
    • Contacts
    • Items (accounting data)
    • Payroll set-up.

Check out our blog post to learn more about our Reckon conversion service offering, or go straight to our website to upload a file to us now.

As always we recommend you review our FAQs for versions we can convert and recommendations on preparing the file.
    Let's chat

For really quick questions we now have chat available via our website 9am - 5pm (AEST), Monday to Friday. So if you don't have time to phone simply hop onto our website and pop your query into chat on the bottom left of the screen.

As always you can also call us on 1800 770 035 or emailsupport@jetconvert.com.au for information. We welcome all questions about our MYOB, Reckon, BankLink and bank statement conversion services.

Yours,

Wendy Elms and the Jet Convert Team
    jetconvert.com.au
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Default Simpler BAS

Simpler BAS

Goods and services tax (GST) reporting on the business activity statement (BAS) is getting easier for small business.
    This is due to a change to GST reporting called Simpler BAS – a partnership between the ATO, software developers, tax professionals and small business associations.
    With Simpler BAS, from 1 July 2017 small businesses will have less GST information to report on their BAS. The only GST information required will be:

• G1 Total sales
    • 1A GST on sales
    • 1B GST on purchases

The following GST information will no longer be required:

• G2 Export sales
    • G3 GST-free sales
    • G10 Capital purchases
    • G11 Non-capital purchases

If your annual GST turnover is less than $10 million, you will be transitioned to Simpler BAS reporting from 1 July 2017.
    Simpler BAS will not affect how other taxes are reported (eg PAYG income tax instalments or PAYG tax withheld), or how often you submit your BAS.
    You still need to keep records, such as invoices, as proof of any claims you make in your BAS and income tax return lodgements.
    Subject to eligibility, small businesses registering from 19 January 2017 have the option to use Simpler BAS immediately.

https://www.ato.gov.au/Business/Busi...)/Simpler-BAS/
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

CHECK: HAVE YOU BEEN SLIPPED A COUNTERFEIT BANKNOTE?

https://youtu.be/O_weOwnK2TQ

http://trfm.com.au/articles/fake-fifties/

Fast thinking by the staff at Traralgon Hungry Jacks helped stop an attempt at passing a counterfeit $50 note.
    Police allege a man offered a fake note and suspicious staff refused to accept it.
    Following the incident, police executed a search warrant and a 26 year old man was arrested and questioned at Traralgon Police Station, and was then released pending summons.

If you come across a banknote that you suspect is counterfeit:
    Handle the suspect banknote as little as possible and store it in an envelope.
    Note any relevant information, such as how it came into your possession.
    Report the matter immediately to State or Federal police.
    You are well within your rights to refuse to accept a banknote if you have concerns about it.
    Under no circumstances should you take actions that may jeopardise your safety or that of others.
    How to check if your $50 note is a counterfeit or not:
    Is it plastic? Australian banknotes are printed on plastic and have a distinct feel. ...
    Look for the Coat of Arms. If you hold the banknote to the light, you should see the Australian Coat of Arms.
    Look for the star. ...
    Check the clear window. ...
    Feel the dark printing. ...
    Check the print quality. ...
    Look for the microprinting.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Default Re: Simpler BAS

Smoke and mirrors:

. We (like most small business) don't have export sales so G2 is irrelevant.
    . You still have to record G1 and G3 sales (If you have G3 sales)
    . You still have to record G11 and G14 purchases.

The only difference is that you don't have to complete the worksheet on the BAS, but you still have to work out GST from GST Free and to do this you need some sort of worksheet.

Their just puffing their chest out about how their making it easier for small business with out actually doing anything.

Just as a matter of interest I'm still using MYOB V12 which is about 16 years old, despite what MYOB said it's working fine on Windows 10. It cost me about $250 16 years ago and I've spent nothing since.

If you go to online software, your going to get slugged monthly fees, they might seem reasonable at the start but once they get you in the fees go up, like everyone else they are out to make money, so don't get taken in with all the hype their primary focus is to make money.

Also the last thing you want is accounting programs on your smart phone, mow lawns during the day time and do your accounts at night, at home, on your computer.

Default Re: Simpler BAS

Quote Originally Posted by mgammon View Post
    Smoke and mirrors:

. We (like most small business) don't have export sales so G2 is irrelevant.
    . You still have to record G1 and G3 sales (If you have G3 sales)
    . You still have to record G11 and G14 purchases.
    Nope..
    The only GST information required will be:
    G1 Total sales
    1A GST on sales - NOT separate G3
    1B GST on purchases - NOT separate G11 and G14

Reporting the following is no longer required:

G2 Export sales
    G3 GST-free sales
    G10 Capital purchases
    G11 Non-capital purchases

You CAN, however, continue to report as you always have if you choose to, but the change is what you are REQUIRED to report.
    I can't see any compelling reason to do more than you are required.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Just as a matter of interest I'm still using MYOB V12 which is about 16 years old, despite what MYOB said it's working fine on Windows 10.
    It cost me about $250 16 years ago and I've spent nothing since.
    MYOB won't guarantee that this continues to be the case - and it may eventually fail. That said, I know an auto electrician that continues his accounts on an old, pre-GST accounting program on a DOS based PC - he just adds a service item "GST" which auto-calculates at 10% of the subtotal of all preceding items.
    No Windows or program upgrades or updates for 30 years...

If you go to online software, your going to get slugged monthly fees, they might seem reasonable at the start but once they get you in the fees go up, like everyone else they are out to make money, so don't get taken in with all the hype their primary focus is to make money.

Also the last thing you want is accounting programs on your smart phone, mow lawns during the day time and do your accounts at night, at home, on your computer.
    YOU are in it to make money too - is that unreasonable or unethical? Do you begrudge a reasonable fee for a provided service?
    That said, I would like to see subscription rates reduced - but consider - just how much time should an accounting program save you to pay for itself?
    If it saves you 30 minutes a month, then surely it is worth $30-$40 already.

Again - it is fortunate your MYOB still works on Windows 10 - there are no guarantees this will continue. It 'may' not install on a fresh Win 10 system and 'might' require you follow a similar upgrade path to the one taken to date. You will know when you rebuild/replace your PC.

Re: Cloud - Updates associated with payroll (PAYG, super,etc...) electronic payments and addition of other useful features, along with backups and security are taken care of for you, also provision of support. I like being able to check my client's accounts, issue or reissue invoices/statements and record receipts in real time. I also like attaching electronic images of significant transactions to the transaction. This not only satisfies ATO requirement for record keeping (no need to keep the paper copies) but makes find them a breeze in the event of a warranty or insurance claim (or ATO request to substantiate)

Many have been able to extend the useful life of their desktop MYOB (and old desktop QuickBooks) by purchasing tax-tables from a third party such as -
    https://www.fghtables.com/MYOB/index.php

There is real value in being able to issue an invoice immediately on completion of the job. You are more likely to remember all the details of the service also get paid faster, and less likely to forget to raise the invoice. I personally like being able to focus on the next job rather than remember or track earlier jobs for entering later.
    Horses for courses.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Ooooh.... I managed to get a hold of a batch of discounted QBO Plus files and wanted to make them available to the Indi guys.

Same deal as a couple of years ago - the full QBO Plus edition at $20/Mo for life - but will need to be paid annually.

Your Reckon Hosted or desktop, MYOB, or Xero history can be migrated into QBO at no cost (first year or two - additional years at small cost)

Some of you missed out last time, and I didnt expect to have access to this again.

If this holds some appeal, now is the time to speak up !
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Hoping this might be useful/interesting...

ATO Top ten questions.....

ATO_Top_Questions_at_Tax_Time_-1.jpg
    ATO_Top_Questions_at_Tax_Time_-2.jpg
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Decided it's time to try something completely different.
    Vanguard Bookkeeping is no more. I'm happy to keep sharing re: bookkeeping and answer questions if you have them.
    I've now turned to...

Business cards.JPG

David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Very Helpful Member

You do realise that I'll now have to call you Tina
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

nice change, well done

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast