Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Winter Weeds in Grass!

Default Winter Weeds in Grass!

Hi Guys,

was wondering what I should use or what is the best to treat lawns for winter grass/weeds?

Have not done it before so flying blind at the moment, have seen a yates product in Bunnings but not sure???

To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Default Re: Winter Weeds in Grass!

If you are talking about Winter Grass, there is Winter Grass Killer which I think is 'Endathol'. Winter Grass can be hard to get rid of. Put a little bit of wetting agent in it ( I think it tells you not to) but it needs it. It only seems to knock about 30% of it out each application when I use it. Also hit it before it seeds to reduce the amount next year.
    If you are talking about other weeds, then the general broadleaf weedkillers will take care of clover, bindii etc.

Very Helpful Member

if the grass has gone dormant ie couch/buffalo you may be able to get away with using glypho but i would suggest testing in a small area first
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian
    if the grass has gone dormant ie couch/buffalo you may be able to get away with using glypho but i would suggest testing in a small area first
    Any amount of glyphosate on buffalo (anytime of the year) will give your customers something to whinge about.

Have you tried diluted Roundup on buffalo turf? Mmm. I didn't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    If you are talking about Winter Grass, there is Winter Grass Killer which I think is 'Endathol'. Winter Grass can be hard to get rid of. Put a little bit of wetting agent in it ( I think it tells you not to) but it needs it. It only seems to knock about 30% of it out each application when I use it. Also hit it before it seeds to reduce the amount next year.
    If you are talking about other weeds, then the general broadleaf weedkillers will take care of clover, bindii etc.
    You want to repeat the spraying of the actual Wintergrass weeds (say a couple of times) with Endothal.

I am not familiar with all the retail brands of herbicides because we purchase all our materials (from Globe Australia) in bulk commercial quantities. As I was saying, we are not familiar with the retail brands, but I think Winter Grass Killer has a completely different active ingredient, not Endothal (which is a Chemspray brand).

Very Helpful Member

yates have one that's supposed to be safe on buffalo winter grass killer
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by lawngreen
    Any amount of glyphosate on buffalo (anytime of the year) will give your customers something to whinge about.

Have you tried diluted Roundup on buffalo turf? Mmm. I didn't think so.
    I have, it kills it dead.
    Diluted glyphosate does work on dormant couch. Would not use it on any other grasses.
    I use a product called POA Pro still have to give it two doses to get rid of all the winter grass. I have tried a lot of different products over the years, every one that I have used has taken at least 2 doses to kill Winter grass

yates have one that's supposed to be safe on buffalo winter grass killer
    Will everyone just forget Yates, give the guys at Globe Australia a call.

Globe's Turf consultants (sales reps) know their products. I dont think you will get much help from Yates.

You get technical help from Globe plus the price you pay for Globe products is wholesale effectively.

i like yates used them since adam was a boy good stuff

Will everyone just forget Yates, give the guys at Globe Australia a call.

Globe's Turf consultants (sales reps) know their products. I dont think you will get much help from Yates.

You get technical help from Globe plus the price you pay for Globe products is wholesale effectively.
    yes you do get some advice....but as for price Bunnings and Big W won easily when buying 500ml or less. I do buy my glypho in bulk from Globe, I just don't specialize in enough of the turf jobs to warrant buying 20 litres of the other stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat
    yes you do get some advice....but as for price Bunnings and Big W won easily when buying 500ml or less. I do buy my glypho in bulk from Globe, I just don't specialize in enough of the turf jobs to warrant buying 20 litres of the other stuff.
    If you asked all your customers if they would like a Lawn Weed & Feed at Spring (like now), I am sure you would get a stack of them willing to part with a couple of hundred dollars for a Greener, Weed Free Lawn!

Very Helpful Member

If you asked all your customers if they would like a Lawn Weed & Feed at Spring (like now), I am sure you would get a stack of them willing to part with a couple of hundred dollars for a Greener, Weed Free Lawn!
    but if i kill all the weeds what will i mow in summer

but if i kill all the weeds what will i mow in summer

Think outside the square!

Re-turf, pave, concrete, napalm, whatever! Just think outside the square!