Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried the Bushranger brushcutter

Default Has anyone tried the Bushranger brushcutter

Hi All

was wondering if any of you have tried the range of brushcutters/trimmers from the Bushranger mob?
    To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Default Re: Has anyone tried the Bushranger brushcutter

Hey,

I have sold a couple of the small bent shaft ones and never had a problem. They are a Mariyama (sp?) engine that's made in Japan, and distributed in Aus by PLP (Shindaiwa, Zenoah, Everide etc).

They are a nice sounding engine and seem to be pretty tough. Also well covered with a 5 year domestic warranty. I haven't had anything to do with the bigger ones, but I own a bushranger mower myself and judging by that and the smaller machines, they seem to be great.

Very Helpful Member

i think it's maruyama
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Hi Ian

Great link, thanks
    To be wronged is nothing unless you continue to remember it.

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Here is the link to PLP website for the bushranger gear...

http://www.poweruplawncare.com.au/bu.../products.html

Anyone got any new info on these brushies? Thinking about going this route myself, more power, less weight and cheaper than the equivalent other brands (Stihl, Shindy)

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

I'm picking one up this week. The 30cc machine straight shaft. They have a 2 year commercial warranty. The more I look at the bushranger gear the more I want to try the gear out. If the brushy works out well then the hedge trimmer will be next.

Will be sure to give some feedback once I have tried it out on a few jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    I'm picking one up this week. The 30cc machine straight shaft. They have a 2 year commercial warranty. The more I look at the bushranger gear the more I want to try the gear out. If the brushy works out well then the hedge trimmer will be next.

Will be sure to give some feedback once I have tried it out on a few jobs.
    The local dealer has a demo unit I can try out for a few days, so will do that I think, but thought I would try and see if anyone has any feedback here first. (The 30cc model)

I have the mower with the Kawa on it .. a good unit however I have heaps of trouble getting parts for it, the local i bought off stopped selling them, now have started again but the new ones dont hav ethe kawa .. they have b&s on them so i still cant get parts for the kawa. PLP seem to chop and change their suppliers or manufactures quite a bit which makes it hard to get what you need.
    If you cant get the parts you need to keep it running then its basically a throw away piece of machinery IMHO.

Very Helpful Member

if your after parts for the kawa engine try a proscape dealer or lee archer and sons are the distributor of proscape the have the kawa engine also look at some of the american suppliers
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

I have the Bushranger Hedge Trimmer, it was recommended by my local repair guy who services almost exclusively for contractors.

I have found it to be the best I have ever used, reliable and top quality would certainly recommend it to anyone.

Well, got a demo model to use at present. Pluses: It runs strong, but then having 1.2kw of power it should. Nice engine noise too, better than other gear. Very well weighted - I am using a shindy multi tool as my main snipper at present, and at .8kw and 22.5cc, along with being around 5kg not 5.3 like the bushranger, the bushranger felt lighter. Also got an 800ml fuel tank, so shouldn't run out as fast as the shindy stuff at 550ml.
    However, the minuses. Hard to start. Need more than twice the force to pull the cord to get going. It was smooth pulling, but very tight would be the best way to describe it. Still took a few goes to get it running each time too (at each job, if switched off then back on it started first pull). Not sure if this is something that can be adjusted? Next issue, and again, hopefully it is something fixable, was a heap of vibration. This was due to uneven cord lengths. The bigger picture there was the cutter on the guard didn't cut the cord at all. So as soon as one side was slightly shorter than the other, massive vibration again. They are using the shindy speed feed head but their own guard, maybe that is the issue. Again, if this is something fixable I would be happy.
    All in all, 2 issues stopping me going ahead at present - both of which may be fixable, if so, it seem a good unit. One thing that really pisses me off with the shindy is the way the tank sits, it rolls over every time I sit it on the ground, and fuel leaks out of it into the air intake, causing issues. Something that has happened since day one of ownership I might add, along with other issues like taking 20 pulls to get going first job of the day, again since brand new. The bushranger has a shallower tank, and so doesn't roll.

What is the go with Kawasaki gear at present? The local dealer stopped stocking it saying the factory were not supporting the gear properly. Can't find others in the area stocking them.

I find the same thing with my Shindaiwa snippers they want to tip over, fuel cap down all the time. Apart from that they are the best you can get IMO. I abused and caned the arse out of my 2 stroke for 3 years and I couldn't kill it. I retired it, gave it to my mate and it is still going strong. I would buy another split shaft unit without even thinking twice.

How many times do you pump the primer bulb? I gave mine 5 pumps and it would go 1st or 2nd pull every time, never let me down ever. I have the C4 split shaft now, it's ok but I prefer the 2 stroke because the C4 can be a pain to start.

Its a shame Bushranger chop and change the suppliers. I used my Bushy hedge trimmer again yesterday. Its sat for 2 mths or so, had same fuel in it and it started on second pull. I really wasnt expecting that!
    As well as the hedging, I ended up trimming some low hanging or weeping branches from a fig tree (that have been pizzing me off for mths). Some were 15mm+ and it chewed right through them. I wouldnt do that very often though.
    Anyway, Im pretty happy with it but I hope I can get parts for it when or if needed! Even the owner of the prop came over and checked it out. He was very impressed by it, and how quickly it got everything done! (I really HATE cleaning up after hedging! I used a tarp but it was windy. I'd hate to do a full on prestige prop. ID FAIL BADLY!)

All that said, with Bushy changing suppliers etc, I wouldnt get a piece of machinery I used every day. I would look at other major brands first even if it costs a little more.

I was a Kawi fan. I have 2 trimmers (one with a blade) a 48cc brush cutter and and BP blower and I would of recommend them to anyone. But with the changes theyve made to the carb for the US EPA. I now have my doubts if I would go with Kawi. Im spewing about it really! The trimmers power to weight was unbeatable and NEVER breaks down (touch wood) ! Maybe once they have the kinks worked out they will be great again???? Heres hoping!

After using the Tanaka BP brushcutter/trimmer heaps, I think I will look into Tanaka for other stuff before all else, from now on. Next bit of equipment I need is a BP blower and the Tanaka 7800 or what ever it is rates very well all things considered.

I guess what Im saying is that I wouldnt go with Bushranger for your used everyday equipment. You need to buy something that parts are readily available without you having to chase shyt up. Thats ridiculous IMO!

Check out Tanaka TBC270. 27cc 4.9kg and a trigger like on the Kawi. I think it would be my next trimmer! http://www.lawnpower.com.au/brushcut_tanaka.php

re kawa - I would imagine all manufacturers will change their carburretion to suit US standards sooner or later, due to the huge market. I'm hoping the old carbs will fit the new models.

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast