Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: echo pb blower probs

Question echo pb blower probs

I think this is another question for greasemonkey.
    I have 2 old pb2155 blowers and recently just got an old carby to make 2 complete units. Both carbies now have new kits.
    The working unit now needs rings so I took carby off that to put on the other unit which has "spark", cleaned fuel intake filter, exhaust port cleaned, but it still wont start or even look like starting. Put the existing carby back on previous and it starts no problems.
    Any idea what to do with this one that just wont start??

Default Re: echo pb blower probs

Does it have compression. If so try taking plug out and pouring fuel into plug and replace, trying starting, you should get it to fire and maybe run. I have an old Tanaka blower that I had put into storage for about 12 months, I had to do this twice before I could get it to run. I tried priming it via the bulb but it took fuel in the plug to get it going. Now starts every time with a prime and choke and 3 pulls.
    If it still wont start it may need more work than you can carry out to fix it.

Sounds like fuel probs. Have you checked the fuel lines are not kinked or split? Your machine should only require fuel, spark & compression to go, you could try a squirt of Aerostart or similar down the plughole, in the carby or in the exhaust port.
    Good luck!
    Cheers Dean.

If it has spark and compression, I always start with a new plug. You can have spark at the end of the HT lead, but if the plug isn't sparking you can be pulling your hair out for a simple job.

Does the carby prime?

If it has good spark and primes but still won't fire, check the mixture screw adjustment.
    (Screw them both all the way in and then back 1 and a quarter to one and a half turns).

You said the exhaust port was clear...did you check the muffler isn't blocked. Check the spark arrestor gauze isn't carboned up or that the wasps haven't made a nest in there :P

If you've done all of this, invest in a can of aerostart...remove the air filter and give it a quick spray. If the machine fires and stops then you know you have fuel issues. Considering the carby worked on the old machine my guess would be that the fuel filter needs replacing...(sometimes cleaning isn't enough).

Just double check that the carbys are both the same...sometimes manufactuers will run different carbys on machines with the same model number...

I had an FS55 stihl the other day and ordered a carby for it...the one they sent out was completely different and the little hole for the pulse didn't line up to pump the diaphragms.

Let me know how you go.

Thumbs up Re: echo pb blower probs

Thought i had it covered because i normally remove the spark arrestor but eventually after taking it apart it was totally blocked with carbon- probably 7 years worth Cleaned it and assembled and primed and 3 pulls on the starter and it fired up
    Here is another vote for "greasemonkey's corner"
    Thanks mate i really appreciate your time!
    john

a little bit of persistence paid off

Awesome! Good to hear it was something simple!

Black bear, next time you pull the muffler, start her up & give her a run, its just like riding a harley.......................well almost!
    Grease monkey, what should I use to clean out the exhaust port?
    I generally use anything I can stick in the hole(said the actress to the vicar ) trying not to score the bore. Is there a correct tool?
    Cheers Dean.

As far as I'm aware there isn't a special tool...I wish there was! You have to be careful you don't break any big bits of carbon off and have them fall into the cylinder...otherwise you can score the bore. I normally use a small sharpened screwdriver and then give the cylinder a good blow out with compressed air...normally remove the plug and blow the air in there and normally get a heap of carbon come out the exhaust. I have never had a carbon score from doing this. I guess the best way would be to remove the cylinder from the machine altogether...but that can be a lot of time.

The main things to do to avoid carbon build up is make sure you use a good quality oil (Shindaiwa, Stihl etc) rather than a 100% mineral based like the servo brands, and you don't put too much oil in.
    Make sure the fuel is fresh because if you leave it sit around...the fuel will evaporate but the oil won't...making the oil/fuel ratio lean towards more oil :P
    Avoid half revving two strokes. They are designed to be run flat out. Don't be afraid to rev them. If they don't rev flat out they don't burn the fuel properly (hence the carbon deposits). If you have to half rev the machines at times...it's always a good idea to give them a good blast for half a minute or so to help clear out some of the crap. (You can see it...a big cloud of smoke will puff out after you've been half revving for a while, when you actually do give it a good blast)