Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Topdress or Roll

Brad

Question Topdress or Roll

A builder, whom I just mowed for wants me to roll the new turf. Its been down about 4-6 weeks and I went and looked at it today and the ground was really firm under foot and bumpy(uneven) even after rain.
    Would it make much difference rolling it or would he be better of topdressing it.

TIA

Brad

craig

I wouldn't waste my time rolling but it's a bit early to be topdressing.Is it his private home or a spec home.If he's in a hurry to put it on the market I'd only very litely topdress & pump her full of ck88 to push some growth through.Whatever you do be carefull at 6wks it might pass the tug test but that doesn't mean the roots are developed fully & your risking smothering it.Talk to Mark Paisley he's the greenkeeper & has got a better idea than most of us. Craig

jason121

Default jason121

if the lawn is as you say at this time of the year you will be suprised how heavy you can go.Im on the gold coast and am a greenkeeper in my own business.I have just put down a new turf lawn at my place(velvetine) and am already mowing every second day. With proper preparation you will be suprised.Enjoy

mick

Quote Originally Posted by jason121
    if the lawn is as you say at this time of the year you will be suprised how heavy you can go.Im on the gold coast and am a greenkeeper in my own business.I have just put down a new turf lawn at my place(velvetine) and am already mowing every second day. With proper preparation you will be suprised.Enjoy
    Where on the Goldy are you Jason? I'm in Currumbin! Had a good drop this week hey. Finally!

on edit! Sorry mate! You had the problem with the Pandanus didnt you. How'd they go anyway?

Lawnman

ive been a turfy for 10 yrs,its never too late or early to top-dress.
    id top-dress it and level it out with a dummy rake,or a level board as this will put the sand in the low spots and take sand from the high spots,and then fertilise with a good turf starter fert like scotts.and water the hell out of it.

Moe

"water the hell out of it"

I'm convinced that water is nine tenths of the equation when it comes to having a good lawn, and thats getting more and more difficult to supply to a thirsty lawn these days .

Brad

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will put it to the builder and see if he wants me to topdress.

DAMN HOT HERE TODAY

Regards
    Brad

Lawnman

Quote Originally Posted by Moe
    "water the hell out of it"

I'm convinced that water is nine tenths of the equation when it comes to having a good lawn, and thats getting more and more difficult to supply to a thirsty lawn these days .
    true true were lucky where we live 9 out of 10 homes are on bores so water is no problem thank god and every-one has reticulation so no moving that dreaded sprinkler.its good for business here atleast theres always pleanty of work as lawns go MAD in summer sun & water go good together.