Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: sharon says

sharon

Default sharon says

Hi guys my hat goes off to all who work in heat. Down here in vic it is just starting to get hot and it is hard work working in heat. I just got i job think this one i under quoted but i am learning.Thanks for all your support. I say you guys all deserve a pat on the back and a nice cold liquid refreshment. To the ones who have been doing this for awhile well done and to the ones just starting out keep going and stay cool. sharon

mick

Your right Sharon. The heat can make things pretty miserable but for me at least, its the humidity that really screws me up. I dont know how I'd go if I lived further up the coast like where Rod is in Townsville. It gets bad enough here on the Qld/NSW border.

While I was landscaping back in the day, I used to soak my T shirt, it catches any little breeze and really helps keep you cool. This was on work sites so the look didnt matter but if your going to be on a job for any lenght of time and know one will see, give it a go. (I just thought about what I was writing and I'd like to see both you and Eb in a wet T shirt comp! ) hehe

Yep, nothing like the taste of a nice cold beer after a hot day in the sun.

Stay cool! hehe

joff

Hey Mick

What part of the East Coast (QLD/NSW Boarder) do you work?

I agree it can be hot in this area, last week we had 3 days of + 30 I think last Thursday was 37.

Have been using a product called "Chillout" which you wrap around your neck. It is manufactured by Queensland Thermal Health Systems, in New Farm. Have more info if interested. Picked 3 up at the Eumundi Markets for $8 a few weeks ago, and they work just dandy.

More rain here again today, although I have been out working until now. In all we have had about 5" since Sunday in Lismore, but Ballina has had up to 9".

The only member I am aware of in this area is Alex in Bangalow. He has been very quite lately, must be away on holidays or working in the rain.

Regards

Joff

sharon

Default skiing

Wasn't Alex going skiing with hid dad? Wet T Shirt would i get more work? Sharon

mick

Joff, I'm on the Gold Coast and work on the southern end hinterland. We've only had a few showers since the 5" we received the other day. My lawns are starting to green up already so I expect to get more work next week when it heats up a bit. Have a few on for tomorrow which will be good and I'll ring around my old customers next Monday and see how there traveling.

These days I use a ride on mostly so the heat isnt as much of problem, except while trimming etc. Then jump into the ute with air con on full! aaaaaah

Dont know what Alex is up to?

Sharon, bring it on! hehe

Pinetree

Default Sharon says

wait until summer kick,s in it,s only spring at the moment

mick

Spent an hour on the trimmer today! Not Fun! Was hot and my legs look like they have a rash!

Rod

Default Hot in Townsville

It is mainly the humidity up here than gets you rarely gets above 34c in summer. It has been around the 30c mark for a month now with 18-20c nights.

Not too bad up here (at the moment) it is when the humidity goes above 80% you feel it, soaked with perspiration from 6-6.

January to late March will test you. I can drink 10 liters of water a day and give nothing back.

When the rains start in late December the humidity goes up. I take my hat off to the "Bushy Tails" up here in Townsville. I have met a couple of Great "chaps" at the tip that are well into their 60's and still cutting grass. These are the guys I look up to for determination and strength.

Barry

My run here is a bonus on hot days, most of it is along the coast and there is km’s of great beach you can drive on. So on the real hot ones between mows I just drop down onto the beach park by the water and have a quick swim, even better after a messy job as nice and clean afterwards ready for the next job. Some days it can be great for the optic nerve as well.