Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Your choice of brushcutter?

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: Your choice of brushcutter?

Quote Originally Posted by fekkinell
    Hey all. I'm new to all this and just got my pack in the mail.

Just a quick question about brushcutters/whipper snippers... What's the difference between a straight shaft and a bent shaft (apart from the obvious)?

Does one have benefits over the other?

Cheers.
    the straight shaft has better reach for getting under shrubs and decking also the bent shaft are generally domestic not commercial and won't last
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by fekkinell
    Hey all. I'm new to all this and just got my pack in the mail.

Just a quick question about brushcutters/whipper snippers... What's the difference between a straight shaft and a bent shaft (apart from the obvious)?

Does one have benefits over the other?

Cheers.
    Bent shafts are a little more easy to monovre and generally are standard on cheaper brands or the lower end of the market (Check out Bunnings next time you are there).Straight shafts are more effiecient with more powerful machines and tend not to loose torque under extreme conditions.Its a more higher performance way to get the power through to the head.
    Its a little like water..The more twists and turns will slow the velocity of the flow. The biggest issue with straight shafts I have found is "Balance" when using the machine,this tends to vary a lot between the manufactures.. One of the main reasons after I have had a few brands (apart from the power) I chose Husky is because of this reason.. if you have an opportunity ,Try diffrent machines to what may suit you best ..You will be surprised at the diffrent ways you will hold the machine especially after a long hot day and this is when the balance becomes an issue not just the power or performance of the machine.

use a stihl fs 85 with standard loop handle = find its excellent starts realy easy and seems to have a lot of go in it.
    cheers geoff

Mainly use a Stilh 92-94 ? next model up from the 85 anyway (4 mix)

Does the job i guess,,Shindys and Kawas much better IMO,got the Stilh cause its cheaper.

Does everybody fit the Shindawa speed heads on there Stilhs / i never have and the auto feed stilh heads give me the "rude word"

From what I have read here there is no "one" good thing. Lots raves about lots of machines. All is good though. Means there is a lot of good machines out there
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Very Helpful Member

i use the kazz bump feed on my shindy
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

I use a Shindi bump head on my Honda and a Non genuine alloy head on the Sthil.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS
    I use a Shindi bump head on my Honda and a Non genuine alloy head on the Sthil.
    Agree with Bluey there are many good machines out there especially at the top end of the market and its up to the individual as there are many factors which inflence our personal purchase..When i started out I had the luxury of using mant diffrent brands which gave me a good indication of what suits my needs best.
    I tend to use alloy heads especially for commercial purposes ..I just have had no longevity out of bump heads..My machines dont stop all day is summer and mabey I am a little hard on the Husky but it delivers the goods ,never lets me down and the alloy head tends to be the best for mwa..

I use the head with the wingnut on my machines. $40 or so. You just pull it out and turn it as long as you want and it clicks back into place. The spring allows it to come out without undoing the wingnut. It takes about 3 seconds to make the cord longer. I have tried various bumpheads and hate them all. I hate the alloy heads as they waste too much and also take much longer to change than the wingnut type head I use.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    I use the head with the wingnut on my machines. $40 or so. You just pull it out and turn it as long as you want and it clicks back into place. The spring allows it to come out without undoing the wingnut. It takes about 3 seconds to make the cord longer. I have tried various bumpheads and hate them all. I hate the alloy heads as they waste too much and also take much longer to change than the wingnut type head I use.
    I dont use bump heads either .. like you I have destroyed every one..The alloy head is fine providing I use a good quality cord (which I buy in bulk $130.00 at mates rates)..Im sure we have all used and tried diffrent types of cord but I use 3mm internal core cord.This stuff can throw a rock the size of a match box 25mtrs at full throttle and break windows so I also wear a full face blast shield.Neverthe less it has got me once or twice.The cord I did use is no-longer available and this new one I have dosent seem to last as well but I have a whole roll of it so im stuck with it for a least one more summer.

the shindy bump feed is sensastional , have been using nothing but..they have a system that you can reload in 20 secs flat...when the cord runs out you place the cord through the eyelet and within secs ready to go....the latest version is somewhat smaller than the previous bulky one...very sinple and easy to use...if the head becomes worn you can replace the top section for under 20 bucks , after two years i still have the originals....unless you are hammer head and bash the thing on the concrete it will last

my choice of wippers are shindaiwa and kawasaki
    they are easy on maintenance and reliable .

I'm using an alloy head on a Kawa,still not 100% sold,had 3.3mm on it to start with which would damn near throw a boulder, but bought Stihl branded 3mm (instead of 3.3)when I ran out and its garbage. Stuck with a thumping great spool of the stuff! Will prob'ly save it for a rainy day & go back to the 3.3.
    Interested to see so many using the Shindy bump feed, might investigate.

I use shindy, Kaaz and a cheap chinese motor on a kaaz stick which has gone for almost 2 yrs -18mnths of that as the main one with no probs except it "zaps" me when it gets wet!
    I still use the old red kaaz bump feed heads, find them reliable and cheap got 6 of the bump inserts for $12 - 5 yrs ago. The receipt had the correct price but when i checked my c/card only $12 was debited
    Still have 2-3 heads left - I suppose it all depends on how you use them to how long they last!
    I find 2.4mm dual core lasts me ok here in Melbourne, you gotta remember its only the last little bit thats meant to do the cutting boys!

Quote Originally Posted by geoff
    the shindy bump feed is sensastional , have been using nothing but..they have a system that you can reload in 20 secs flat...when the cord runs out you place the cord through the eyelet and within secs ready to go....the latest version is somewhat smaller than the previous bulky one...very sinple and easy to use...if the head becomes worn you can replace the top section for under 20 bucks , after two years i still have the originals....unless you are hammer head and bash the thing on the concrete it will last
    x2, & Blackbear, change the insulating cap on the sparkplug .
    Cheers Dean.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast