Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: How much to charge lawnmowing

Hybrid View

Default How much to charge lawnmowing

We are new to the lawn mowing business and would like some help on charging. Say for instance the normal 1/4acre house block also if they want rubbich removed or weeding. We are in the Southern Tablelands of NSW. Any help appreciated.

Default Re: How much to charge

Hi and welcome moa man....There was a previous thread here 'Lawn mowing rates' recently but it looks like it has been censored and a lot of info has been deleted.
    It will be interesting once again to see what all guys are charging out there. There has been huge increases in tipping fees recently...along with insurance..fuel... running costs etc etc.....so we all have to increase our prices.
    I reckon the average suburban block...regular mow....grass not too long is now around $40.....rubbish removal...depending on if it green waste or hard waste...and the size of your trailer....you'll probably need to charge more for hard rubbish than u do for green waste...but around $140 a load.....weeding etc...i reckon you should be charging anywhere between 40 - 60 per hour....but Ive seen it suggested here that some are charging 80-85 per hour.
    When we all started out we all made mistakes by underquoting jibs and Im sure you'll do the same.....but you'll only do it once and you'll learn by your mistake......good luck in the business mate....you'll love it eventually......It certainly beats sittin behind a desk waiting for a heart attack to happen.
    Cheers

I would suggest you don't tell anybody your hourly rate, just give them a price for the whole job, you might stuff up a little on some jobs but you will get the hang of it pretty fast,,cheers

When you say $50 an hour for weeding it sounds a lot,,but when you say $200 to do all the weeding,,some how it sounds better.

I think some people compare in they minds what they get say $25 an hour at work and you are asking double.

Thankyou. Really appreciate your helpful tips. Yea I agree the total amount is better than hourly. Thanks

it was ashame that admin cut the mowing rate thread because it some good stuff on rates..in Melbourne some areas are getting 35 to 40 bucks for a standard lawn but the hourly rate is not often quoted rather than a fixed price is used...when you work out that fixed price for the customer some contractors vary considerable..seems to range from 25 per hour ( too cheap ) to 80 bucks an hour ( nice to get )...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandgroper
    I would suggest you don't tell anybody your hourly rate, just give them a price for the whole job, you might stuff up a little on some jobs but you will get the hang of it pretty fast,,cheers

When you say $50 an hour for weeding it sounds a lot,,but when you say $200 to do all the weeding,,some how it sounds better.

I think some people compare in they minds what they get say $25 an hour at work and you are asking double.
    I agree with you Sandgroper about not giving away your rate especially with one off or clean-up work but how do you get around it when the customer wants you there on a regular basis.

This happens to me all the time they say how much would it cost me to maintain the gardens on a monthly basis, you then give them the price say $120 ,there next question is how much time would you spend there on average for that price. What do you say at this point?

If you dont give them a time frame for your $120 they would try to have you working there all morning.

I'm talking more domestic customers here commercial usually don't care how long you take as long as its tidy and fits there budget.

Whats the trick to not letting them find out your rate?

Scooby...totally agree where you are coming from...but best to just say that is what you think the job is worth...
    A lot of people question what the hourly rate is but I find if you throw it back on them and say that the washing machine man or the plumber charges $80 to walk in the door....or the motor mechanic charges $80 an hour to lay under their car...they then un derstand that the cost of labour that you charge isnt sooooo bad afterall.....Just something that Ive used in the past..and has always done the trick
    Cheers
    Mark...

Thanks Elitemow, I totally agree and didnt think of it this way. GREAT help and will be using this system. All our replies have been good, glad we joined this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve

This happens to me all the time they say how much would it cost me to maintain the gardens on a monthly basis, you then give them the price say $120 ,there next question is how much time would you spend there on average for that price. What do you say at this point?

If you dont give them a time frame for your $120 they would try to have you working there all morning.
    Just tell them it varies from month to month and also includes things like tip fees and chemicals as required. Just make sure your original quote allows for those sorts of things. If you have any staff you can tell them it varies depending on how many stuff you have also. If they keep persisting, I would brush them! I hate hourly rates as you cant compare the speed people work at, the equipment they have purchased- a guy who has spent money on a pole hedger will trim a large hedge much faster than a guy with a small hedger and ladder. Why she he earn less and be out of pocket for the machinery? Tell the client that.

Set price is the way to go if you want to make money.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve
    I agree with you Sandgroper about not giving away your rate especially with one off or clean-up work but how do you get around it when the customer wants you there on a regular basis.
    I try and avoid regular gardening at all costs, the better money is with the causal cleanup jobs, i have a couple of regulars i tell them its $60 a service,,easy work once you have done the main cleanup,pull a few weeds,trimming etc

Regular garden jobs take up your schedule where you could have higher rate doing lawnmowing jobs.

Thats just me though,,some gardeners have full schedules and good rates,,not so much overheads either, mind you i hate gardening also

I aim for 40 to 50 an hr for yard cleanups weeding etc. I dont like to give hourly rate but if I'm really unsure of what to quote a particular job I give a rate of $50/hr. Most times the jobs not as bad as I first thought and come to pay time I tell em' I'll give ya a discount and charge $40/hr. On mongrel jobs its stays at 50. Have only had a coupla wingers about the price but you've gotta remember your buisness charges out at that rate.......After expenses, tax etc you pocket whats left.
    Cheers, Jason.

If your lawns and garden's have lost their Mojo...
    Call Mowjo Man

Thankyou, your information has been real helpful. Really do appreciate it and will lwt you know how we get on. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moa man
    We are new to the lawn mowing business and would like some help on charging. Say for instance the normal 1/4acre house block also if they want rubbich removed or weeding. We are in the Southern Tablelands of NSW. Any help appreciated.
    What you should do moa man is get some quotes on your own property, or rope in your relo's or friends to do the same that way you'll know from first hand experiance what the prices are. Get a franchise and a couple of indies to give quotes that way you will have a good idea of whats happening.