Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Hedge Trimming Questions

Default Hedge Trimming Questions

Hi everyone,

Last night I was watching some hedge trimming clips on youtube to hopefully pick up some tips on shaping etc. One clip was a promo for Tanaka and they had a scoop type accessory attached to their hedge trimmer so that as the blades were trimming, all the cuttings were being forced into the scoop by the natural sweepng movement of the machine and then tipped onto the ground by the operator.

Great idea and would save a bit of time in cleaning cuttings off the tops of box hedges!! Has anyone used one of these?

Also being new to the industry I was wondering what everyone finds to be quickest and most efficient method of cleaning up the mess after a hedging job?

I guess if all the clippings fall onto the grass or concrete you can rake or sweep them up but what do you do if its over a garden bed or an area covered with pebbles or worse still an area with that really fine bark mulch where you cant even use a garden vac to pick up the clippings without sucking up all the mulch?????
    Last edited by administrator; 13-05-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Default Re: Hedge Trimming Questions

you can try and lay a big tarp or plastic sheet on the ground around the hedge your trimming then when finished just drag it out with clippings on it .
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by geoff1969
    you can try and lay a big tarp or plastic sheet on the ground around the hedge your trimming then when finished just drag it out with clippings on it .
    cheers
    Geoffs on the money a tarp is the way to go on properties that you cant get away with just using the blower.

I use a large tarp as it has eyelets in it, so I can either peg it down, tie it to a shrub, then I can roll it up and tie the ends to carry or drag it to be emptied. I always find that if I just lay out the tarp a wind will come from nowhere and blow part of it away, spreading cuttings just where you don't want them.

Thanks for the tips. I've only done a few hedges so far and all nice and easy bearing a good result. Does any one have tips for cutting round ball like hedges etc now that I've mastered the straight edges.

How do you tackle them?
    Last edited by administrator; 13-05-2013 at 10:33 PM.

Go TO thread link below then go to page 11-12 Hairyscarie tells u how to cut a round ball

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/sh...highlight=hoop

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

thanks boss

Now I'm worried if I borrow my daughters hulla hoop she'll want to borrow the hedger. Can't wait to try one, (the round ball hedge that is.)

My dad tought me this when I was a young dude Get a 20 cent peace a stand back and hold the coin to your eye and lock at the ball and you will no what will have to go it works. Everyone has 20cents.I dont have to use it any more. I would like to say Iam pritty good with topiary.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B
    Thanks for the tips. I've only done a few hedges so far and all nice and easy bearing a good result. Does any one have tips for cutting round ball like hedges etc now that I've mastered the straight edges.

How do you tackle them?

Thumbs up Re: Hedge Trimming Questions

Thanks for that, I'm adding a hulla hoop and a 20c piece to the gear tomorrow. (Wonder if my daughter will lend me the 20c too )

Some really nice hedging work by Hairyscarie in that thread, I'm impressed.

Is hedging work normally done on an hourly rate or is a quote submitted on a per hedge basis?

As a newbie having never done serious hedging before I'd be totally guessing if I had to do a quote so what would be a fair rate to start off with for this type of work?

Just use your normal hourly rate and add 10% for equipment depreciation. It is better to quote the job tho.
    I usually over quote and if the people have been good to me I give them a discount. Its not so much the actual hedging that takes time as the clean up. If you think it is going to take you half hour to do the hedge add 3/4 hour for cleanup, 1 hour for hedge add 1.5 hours for clean up. I write down when I start and finish hedging and also cleanup time. It helps give me a better idea for the next time and for other jobs.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cap
    Hi everyone,

Last night I was watching some hedge trimming clips on youtube to hopefully pick up some tips on shaping etc. One clip was a promo for Tanaka and they had a scoop type accessory attached to their hedge trimmer so that as the blades were trimming, all the cuttings were being forced into the scoop by the natural sweepng movement of the machine and then tipped onto the ground by the operator.

Great idea and would save a bit of time in cleaning cuttings off the tops of box hedges!! Has anyone used one of these?

Also being new to the industry I was wondering what everyone finds to be quickest and most efficient method of cleaning up the mess after a hedging job?

I guess if all the clippings fall onto the grass or concrete you can rake or sweep them up but what do you do if its over a garden bed or an area covered with pebbles or worse still an area with that really fine bark mulch where you cant even use a garden vac to pick up the clippings without sucking up all the mulch?????
    if your also doing a mow hedge first then mow as the mower will help with the clean up

One little trick that I have been using for a while is to sweep the hedge trimmer over the top of large hedges many times so the cuttings are small enough to fall through the plant onto the ground. Saves having to rake the cuttings off the top but you will need to give he hedge a bit of a shake once your on the ground to dislodge any clippings that are stuck through out the plant.

Wink Re: Hedge Trimming Questions

Vid on Hedge trimming .

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/vide...631909,00.html

A couple of experts on Hedge Trimming ON THIS FORUM would love to hear your views on how to quote formulas safety aspects etc .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast