175 dived by 4=$43= sweet....
    Might not pay off your Hedger big Kev.

Default Re: Hedge Trimming Questions

Quote Originally Posted by 63impala
    175 dived by 4=$43= sweet....

is that taking cuttings away?

Quote Originally Posted by administrator

A couple of experts on Hedge Trimming ON THIS FORUM would love to hear your views on how to quote formulas safety aspects etc .
    There has already been some good info from some of the members here, so I'll just add a few tips.

As mentioned, grab one of the Gorilla platforms from Bunnings for about $90 for the stronger and bigger version. They come in so handy and save your shoulders a lot of pain for hedges above waist height. Just jump on the platform and hold the pole hedger at a much more comfortable height around your waist rather than chest height or above. If you are trimming really tall hedges often, buy two ladders that are the same and a thick plank of hardwood about 5 metres long. It can be a pita but it makes things much easier. Never use the ladders on soft surfaces such as grass. Concrete or paving only. Don't risk hurting yourself for a client. They will just find someone else to tend to their garden, but your life could be turned upside down for you and your family.

Before you start hedging, find the lowest spot(s) on the hedge and use them as your guide. Look at the highest spots and judge how much you can cut off before you get into old wood, and find a medium between the low spot and high spot. Cut the high stuff to the lowest point while keeping the hedge green, and only lightly tip prune low spots to encourage the hedge to thicken up and eventually catch up in height. Different rules apply for really overgrown hedges. Butcher them in Spring to get back into shape faster.

Try to encourage clients to keep hedges maintained regularly before you have to cut off excessive growth. Once you have a hedge nice and flat on top and straight sides, it is much easier to trim it regularly rather than once a year. Try to explain that cost wise it will only be little more expensive as it will take much less time and will be a lot easier to clean up which also results in much less clippings to take away- cheaper tip fees. They get to have a tidy garden year round for just a little more coin.

If you can trim a hedge regularly you can normally see where the previous cut was, so once it is straight and flat, its just a matter of running over the new growth, which depending on the hedge, may be a different shade of green or in the case of things like Photinias, the growth will be a fading red.

Do a little research on the hedge you are cutting. Learn when they flower so you don't trim it at the wrong time of year such as Azaleas flower in Spring, so don't trim in Winter. Sasanqua Camellias flower in Autumn, so don't trim until they have finished flowering in late Autumn. Things like that will show your client you know what you are doing and increase their confidence in you.

Also when quoting, take into account things like the hedge you are trimming. Does it have thorns that will be a nightmare such as Duranta, or does it have very thick hard wood like Photinia that can scratch the **** out of you if you have to lean into it or cut off old wood? Fine leaf hedges like Buxus and Diosma always take a lot longer to trim than something like a Murraya. You have to pass the machine over the leaves many more times on the finer leaf plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B
    Waffle on Dean, I too am getting a bit more hedging work lately and knowledge is key!

Is cutting back too far and leaving brown patches the biggest killer? What else should be avoided?
    Ok Andy, I,ll waffle a little more tomorrow night, too tired now after watching the mighty landrover kick some butt on top gear .
    Pity my typing skills arent up to my hedging or I,d rattle it off now .
    Cheers Dean.

Thanks for that Stripes, got me surfing the net for knowledge on the ones you mentioned.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamandeves
    Ok Andy, I,ll waffle a little more tomorrow night, too tired now after watching the mighty landrover kick some butt on top gear .
    Pity my typing skills arent up to my hedging or I,d rattle it off now .
    Cheers Dean.
    The land rover did well, I was disppointed in how the Toyota performed.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny
    The land rover did well, I was disppointed in how the Toyota performed.
    Ha ha, but like Hammond said it was a rare landcruiser because nothing worked on it.

There just toys to me... I have a shed full of Dewalt cordless and only tent to use the drill and the impact driver all the rest is still shiny and new....
    Love the cordlees angle grinder just cool...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B
    Might not pay off your Hedger big Kev.

Just a little more waffle .
    Take into account when quoting,
    The style of hedge, flat square/rectangular hedges r far easier/quicker to cut than other shaped hedges.
    Round hedges/ topiary take considerably longer because far less of the blade surface is in contact with the plant (unless u have a curved blade ).
    Individual plants in a row take far longer & r far more difficult than a solid hedge of comparable size due to the total surface area.
    Fine hedges (usually conifers, generally refered to as cypress) take longer than more open less traditional hedges as more detailed work is required.
    Removal of rubbish must also be considered, both access to clean up & distance to cart to your vehicle.

Look at the hedge from where the customer will often view the hedge & place an emphasis on that. The top leading edge will always be judged.
    With the top when trimming, not reducing, you can generally lower it with several stepped sweeps & the clippings will filter through the hedge thus virtually eliminating that part of the clean up.
    We use ladders & planks that are quite heavy & a pita to move around but this adds greatly to their stability on non paved areas . Trestles may also be used but sometimes their width makes them prohibitive. On really high hedges we hire cherry pickers as required.
    Pole hedgecutters r the only way unless your in a confined area.
    Using a multitool ,u can take the chainsaw head off the longer pole it comes with & attach your hedger 4 a longer reach. U can even add further extensions until it gets rediculous .
    In conclusion, always remember its alot less painfull to fall through a hedge than out of one, if u get my drift
    Cheers Dean.

This is how I do high ones
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye
    This is how I do high ones
    Nice but hiring the cherry picker would not be fisable in townsville flat out getting money as is.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Quote Originally Posted by Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
    Nice but hiring the cherry picker would not be fisable in townsville flat out getting money as is.
    well u can always to the way I do it

Where do you buy articulated ladders?

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Very Helpful Member

don't worry about the ladder where can i hire the asian acrobats
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast