Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Work Pics! Show off ya good/bad!

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Default Re: Work Pics! Show off ya good/bad!

Dropped around to have a look at getting some shots with plants and grass in today but they have let it go and the lawn is just small clumps here and there.I dont think its had any water all summer

That's a shame. They spend good money to get a nice front garden and let it go like that. Still you have the photos of what it is like. You should drop them a note and see if they need some more help. Maybe the will get you to actually lay turf this time.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Personaly I would of put in different grass and different plants. From memory they didn't have a water tank or recycled water.

Good point though Bluey. Would be good if they got me to do the rest of there front yard. Would replace most of their plants with grevilleas and protea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    Nice work Andy. I bet the dogs love those freshly mowed lawns. I know as soon as I mow my own my girl claims it with a fresh steamer
    Yeah usually just after your finished nice blob of brown on a green lawn. Dogs are funny, my boy dog sometimes will go and eat the grass as soon as I start up the brushy and get a few long bits before it's all gone. He looks at me worried while he does it.

A few of my lawns from Friday including the one I turfed in Spring.

Maybe I should clean the lense of the camera next time I want to take some pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images

How good! Why do they call you Stripes? LOL....
    Life's a garden, dig it! Life's a garden, dig it!

haha. Thanks mate.

They are all nice and green at the moment so they come up magic.

absolutely awesome stripes, do you find spring the best time to lay new turf.

Quote Originally Posted by Bgs
    absolutely awesome stripes, do you find spring the best time to lay new turf.
    Thanks mate.
    I think early Spring or early Autumn is the best time. Early Spring the grass has a chance to establish before the real heat comes, and early Autumn it has time to establish before Winter comes without the extreme heat. This year is a bit of an exception though. We are still having lots of mid 30's temps at the moment in Sydney.

The advantage of early Spring is, you can give the lawn a topdress a few weeks after it has taken root to get it nice and flat, whereas Autumn you have to wait until Spring to topdress.

Very nice Stripes. Down here in Melbourne spring isnt a good time for new turf unless you have monster water tanks. I've had to tell a few customers I wont do cool season grasses unless they have recycled water. Warm season grass is the only way to go nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    A few of my lawns from Friday including the one I turfed in Spring.

Maybe I should clean the lense of the camera next time I want to take some pics!

What grass type are they? I assume they are mowed with a reel?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCoast Walker
    What grass type are they? I assume they are mowed with a reel?
    All are Santa Ana couch, and yes I use the cylinder mower on them. All are cut weekly as well, but even that is not often enough most of the time! I have to whipper snip the flower/seed heads first a lot of the time, otherwise they just roll over and miss the blades.

Fit a rear roller on your on your rotary mower and give your customers stripes dont know how you would do it but wouldnt say it would be that hard .
    ride ons are alot easier to fit rear rollers .

HONDA HRH-536-QX PETROL REAR-ROLLER ROTARY LAWN MOWER (SELF-PROPELLED)

England

With its large 53cm width-of-cut, powerful 5.5hp four-stroke engine and power-drive, the Honda HR-536-QX is ideal for both large-scale home use and commercial applications. Its heavy-duty rear-roller will produce a pronounced 'Wimbledon'-style striped finish, and provides stability when mowing along lawn edges.

Price: £1,439.00 (Including VAT at 17.5%)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by administrator; 28-03-2010 at 11:41 AM.

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    All are Santa Ana couch, and yes I use the cylinder mower on them. All are cut weekly as well, but even that is not often enough most of the time! I have to whipper snip the flower/seed heads first a lot of the time, otherwise they just roll over and miss the blades.
    Very nice job there Stripes you just cant compare a rotary mowers cut to that of a cylinder mower. Keep up the great work.

Cylinder mowers just arent popular down here anymore which is a shame when you see it look as good as that. I would say only a small % of customers would pay the extra money for it which is probably the reason very few of us down here use them.

If i'm not being to nosey which brand do you use and roughly how much are they worth?

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve

If i'm not being to nosey which brand do you use and roughly how much are they worth?
    I found an old 20 inch Scott Bonner that had been rebuilt. Basically had new everything including engine and blades. It cost me $1400 and has cost me about another $800 in servicing/sharpening since I bought it about a year ago. I hit a rock which damaged the bottom blade just after it was sharpened so that stung me a bit. Its still very worthwhile to do it as I charge about an extra $20 or so per lawn and they are all weekly. 10 cylinder mowing clients x around 30 cuts per year = an extra 6k for having it. The jobs don't really take any longer to do either.

It is hard to find a good cylinder mower though. The Masport and Victa are made in China. Last time I was at the mower shop the guy showed me a brochure he got from a rep from another company that make them. I can't think of their name now but will ask next time I go- which will hopefully be next week. I think they were an Aussie company. There are also the MEY and Alroh from WA but very expensive and hard to find in the eastern states.

Page 25 of 125 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192021222324252627282930313233343536373839404142434445464748495051525354555657585960616263646566676869707172737475767778798081828384858687888990919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125 LastLast