Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mowing/Gardening rate

Default Re: Mowing/Gardening rate

Quote Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
    I charge $35p/h for gardening pruning hedging, got knocked back cos someone can do it for $25p/h. Em I too expensive?
    You dont need,....or want to win every quote. DONT try and compete with beer money bobs. Get your marketing right to get a healthy stream of work to quote, and name your price, .....whatever your market will handle. THe right price to charge is what your market aggrees to pay. Here in Melb, it would be double what you ask,
    I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather.....not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car!!!

If the customer is say they can get a gardener for $25ph it's more likely a retired guy getting pocket money.

I work on a $1.00 per minute cutting grass $60 ph if i have enough work just cutting grass to survive why would i want to take on gardening work say for $45ph.Doesn't seems smart business practice.

If the customer is say they can get a gardener for $25ph it's more likely a retired guy getting pocket money.

I work on a $1.00 per minute cutting grass $60 ph if i have enough work just cutting grass to survive why would i want to take on gardening work say for $45ph.Doesn't seem like smart business practice.

Quote Originally Posted by joeymoey View Post
    Hey guys just wondering what everyone's current rate is?

Am I too cheap?

Minimum charge for any job is $40, whether it's a five minute mow, adjusting a door in ten minutes etc.
    Gardening/Hand Mowing/ Hedging etc I charge $50 per hour
    Boom spraying I charge around $70
    If there is excessive waste I charge $130 per trailer load (I get 2-3 cubic in my trailer)
    For ride on mowing with my John Deere Z925A I charge around $90 - I mow my neighbour's nature strip in all of 3 minutes compared to 20 minutes previously.

Obviously big contracting jobs/sunday jobs/crappy jobs/ etc this increases.

There's a crowd that gets me to do work for them who charge 30% margin and we've never lost a quote.
    So that essentially means a big job of $530 would be $680
    I'm here scratching my head trying to work out, why people whinge at $50 per hour, yet at $65 they'll gladly pay????

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, maybe get a few more answers in the "inner sanctum"

I think the rate is variable depends on the degree of the jobs complexity, weather e.g. hot or rain, days e.g. weekend or public holiday, how many people involved to complete the jobs.

Would you still charge $50-$60/hr on easter or other public holidays?

Quote Originally Posted by jal2007 View Post

Would you still charge $50-$60/hr on easter or other public holidays?
    No because After 6 years I don't work Sundays or public holidays

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    I say great send him to my place, my garden needs some work

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens View Post
    No because After 6 years I don't work Sundays or public holidays
    Yep that's Family & Hobby day for me
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Probably around $45/hr. But where i've given a quote, it normally calculates to around $60/hr. Add on $110/trailer load pro rata. As previously mentioned, a lot of variables come into play. Right down to how i feel at the time.

I rarely work weekends or public holidays as i find i get stale if it's all about the work. But hey, that's just me. Some guys want to work 6-7 days a week.

$50 -$60 per hr no matter what. Gardening or lawn mowing
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

I live in a cheap little pocket surrounded by more expensive suburbs.. I have hardly any local work because people think its too dear. $40 minimum for anything, and I tell em on the phone. $50/ hr for mowing, maybe $70 for any job where I have to use a ladder. People think they know how to mow a lawn, but they realise there is some expertise and equipment involved in pruning and hedging.

I'm getting better at selling the deal.. explaining about green waste, insurance, the need for a second operator etc.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    $50 -$60 per hr no matter what. Gardening or lawn mowing
    When working out an hourly rate for your business it is important to factor in your business overheads. A mowing business working on $45 p/h with minimal traveling to each job and only using a push mower may still be more profitable than the larger business working on $60 or more but have franchise fees, an expensive ride on and large trailer etc...I'm not saying $45 p/h is a good price but what is more important is the amount of profit made at the end of the week for the amount of effort and overheads involved.

as i said...rate is variable

I never quote an hourly rate, as there is no way to compare equipment, skill etc. Being cheap doesn't necessarily win the job, nor do you want to work for people who just want to screw down the cheapest price. Customers who ask about hourly rate tend to be those looking for a cheap price. They read gumtree/ service seeking and think they can get a gardener for $25-35 ph. Before you even get to overheads, cost what it would cost you to employ someone full time. That would be close to $40 before business overheads and then you have to make a profit to make it worth while.

When i was doing gardening the customers weren't interested what the hourly rate is,they wanted to know how much will the whole job cost them.

Customers telling me how the contractor charging a hourly rate during the job take 5 phone calls some lasted a few mins and some were over 10mins then take a hour lunch break and seem to be on a go slow attitude while being charged.

So this is why a overall given price is required these days.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast