Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Uniforms

Default Re: Uniforms

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    Don't let your parents, wife & kids watch you die of cancer, wear long pants, long sleeve shirts, hats and sun screen.

full pants and long sleeve shirts everyday, they are a basic requirement.

any hazard/risk assessment on out door activities would look at the sun and the risk of skin cancer. having a work uniform of short sleeves and short could see you sued for negligence if your workers get skin cancer. remember James Hardie, we all know the risk of skin cancer protect your workers.

Im sure even Dean's Work Health and Safety Management plan would require all workers to wear full cover uniforms, hats and sunscreen on you face neck and hands
    Absolutely correct. Some sites we have gone to won't allow us to work unless we follow that!!

I'm thinking of moving away from the Fluro shirts too.
    I get mistaken for a council worker all the time.
    Is it a law that we must wear high vis?
    I can't find anything on the net , work cover sites etc.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    Fluro is to be worn to be seen in this profession as a safety precaution like other trades.It's when something goes wrong you'd wish you were more safety conscious that's when it comes back to bite you.
    But it doesn't have to be a top,a hat or fluro socks when wearing shorts can be worn instead.
    During winter i wear lime green fluro gaiters or if i need to i slip on a $10 fluro vest.

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Fluro is to be worn to be seen in this profession as a safety precaution like other trades.It's when something goes wrong you'd wish you were more safety conscious that's when it comes back to bite you.
    But it doesn't have to be a top,a hat or fluro socks when wearing shorts can be worn instead.
    During winter i wear lime green fluro gaiters or if i need to i slip on a $10 fluro vest.
    Very true. I look at it as I have done my best to make myself visible. I am working on and beside roads each and every day of the week. If I get hit at least I want to be able to say I was visible. The hazard is your working on or near roads. A part of your hazard mitigation strategy is fluro shirts or vest. Dont wear it at your own peril but you cant go back in the event of an accident
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

And a lot of commercial premises won't let you in without it. Worthwhile if you have any commercial sites
    I dont break things ...I just use them beyond their operational limitations
    www.mowandgogardening.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    You can avoid that by walking faster

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    You can avoid that by walking faster
    And dont lean on the shovel

I just got my new uniforms. Been wearing the Hi-vis polo shirts for years, but changed to Hard Yakka lightweight khaki cotton shirts & pants this time.
    I still have a few new hi-vis shirts to wear if I spend extended time near the road, but otherwise I'll just put on a vest for the few minutes on the nature strip.

Hated the small single pockets on the polo shirts. I've smashed 2 phones in the last 6 months from them falling out.

Back in the franchise days we were supplied with the lightweight cotton shirts long sleeve,the problem with them on hot days the shirt likes to stick to the body which wasn't the nicest feeling on those 30+deg days or with humidity.
    The Hi-vis polo shirts with micro mesh doesn't do that and is cooler to wear,but unfortunately as the hot day wears on the smellier they are not like the cotton shirts
    As for the phone i too had it in the top pocket with the same problem falling out,now i keep it in the pants pocket.I can hear it ring with blue tooth headset

That's right BJ, but my last lot of polo shirts wasn't too good, probably because they were the cheapest I could buy.

They had hi-vis micro mesh on the back, chest & tops of the sleeves which worked well. But then they had a big panel of denser poly over the gut & from elbows to the cuffs & this would collect all of the sweat & wouldn't dry so quickly. Before long that would soak the front of my trousers and not give a good look.

After experimenting over a few years i ended up with polo shirt a few sizes larger with short sleeves and to stop any more skin cancers i wear chill sleeves (arm coolers) which helps cool you down on those hotter days.
    http://www.coolhats.com.au/pg_chill_sleeves.php
    Or this polo top
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Helpful Member

I also ordered some polos 2 sizes to big, I'm just hoping I can get them back that way by this summer almost skin tight at the moment
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567