Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lawnmowing business a healthy way to live

Default Lawnmowing business a healthy way to live

I found this on here .

Hi guys...

This might help a bit....For a few days over summer I wore a heart rate monitor to guage how many calories I used mowing lawns.

It worked out an an average of approx. 350 - 400 calories for an average lawn which took around half an hour. That was going at a good pace and using a PUSH mower!! (not one of them self propelled jobs)....Half of the energy used (i.e. 50% of say 400 cals was burnt from fat) So if you do an average of say ten jobs a day you would burn in the vicinity of 5000 calories....

Given that most adult males consume about 2500 cals per day from food (not including beer...there's probably another 10,000 cals there with me anyway) you would expect lawn mowing would be the perfect way to lose weight and get fit...

Love to know how Lawn mowing has changed your health since you started .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Default Re: Lawnmowing business a healthy way to live

Being an at home Dad, and having part time business has allowed me to get physically fit again and because it's like learning a new art I figure it's great for the brain too.

Quote Originally Posted by administrator
    I found this on here .

Hi guys...

This might help a bit....For a few days over summer I wore a heart rate monitor to guage how many calories I used mowing lawns.

It worked out an an average of approx. 350 - 400 calories for an average lawn which took around half an hour. That was going at a good pace and using a PUSH mower!! (not one of them self propelled jobs)....Half of the energy used (i.e. 50% of say 400 cals was burnt from fat) So if you do an average of say ten jobs a day you would burn in the vicinity of 5000 calories....

Given that most adult males consume about 2500 cals per day from food (not including beer...there's probably another 10,000 cals there with me anyway) you would expect lawn mowing would be the perfect way to lose weight and get fit...

Now that you have stopped mowing, how much weight have you put on?? Come on, tell the truth now!

Most of my friends in Canberra have office jobs, and I have had a couple of them say to me that I am lucky that i have a physical job because alot of people in Canberra have to go to the gym after work just to stay fit.

Iv'e noticed that I am starting to get a fair bit of hedging work lately and the first few sent me home with really sore shoulders. Had a bloke approach me yesterday to ask about some hedging, and when I told him that it was $60 p/h for hedging he almost fell backward. I asked him to hold the pole hedge trimmer that I was using and after about 1 min he gave it back to me and asked for my details for his sons yards.
    mobilemulching.com
    The key to a self sustaining, organic garden.

Can't say i hsave lost any weight lawnmowing, mind you i use self propelled machines (i put 5 kilos on over winter)

Very Helpful Member

500 calories per lawn damn that means i've got to stop eating so much and i should loose weight
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

I'm 5' 11" and 73kg

Since I started in this business I have lost my gut, down to the last notch on my belt and starting to look like I race in the tour de france.

My wife reckons if I dont start eating more I'm going to waste away.

I'm one of those people that have trouble putting on weight.

Ps One thing I like, I"m 39 years old and I haven't had stomach muscles like this since I was a teen

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing
    I'm 5' 11" and 73kg

Since I started in this business I have lost my gut, down to the last notch on my belt and starting to look like I race in the tour de france.

My wife reckons if I dont start eating more I'm going to waste away.

I'm one of those people that have trouble putting on weight.

Ps One thing I like, I"m 39 years old and I haven't had stomach muscles like this since I was a teen
    I hate people like you!

On this issue of obesity, how do make yourself look thin? Stand next to a fat guy!

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

[QUOTE=lawngreen]I hate people like you!

Trust me your not the only one. I've learnt not to make that comment in a room full of women.

It's not just physical health, but mental health that can benefit from the business we're in. Activity produces endorphins which is a feel-good thing, and I know I enjoy getting out-and-about and doing things (c.f. the relative boredom of this year's quiet winter months, when I was more prone to eat and put on extra kgs, which is not healthy for me, I know).
    Ah well, time for me to get up from my comfy chair and do some paid exercise - a mega-hour session cleaning up a feral property down to road so it can go on the market (Will be a good one for before -> after photos ) Yeah for real estate agent referrals!
    Ciao for now ~ Christine
    senior partner ~ Townsville Lawn Care
    http://townsvillelawncare.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sandgroper
    Can't say i hsave lost any weight lawnmowing, mind you i use self propelled machines (i put 5 kilos on over winter)
    x2

I always put on weight over Winter as I have a huge appetite which stays with me over Winter, but I don't burn off what I'm eating. I normally eat really healthy for a month or so in Spring and burn off a bit of my gut, but not so this year! There is still time though.

Coke is my biggest enemy.

Delis are my down fall,,always one some where as i go past,,easy to pull over and get a quick drink,chocololate,,pie etc

I think we call them Milk Bars in Victoria .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by administrator
    I found this on here .

Hi guys...

After 8 years of doing security where i ate mainly junk food, drank lots of free alchole and and hardly ever moved i put on quite a bit of a gut and since mowing it is slowly going away. maybe if i gave up drinking it would go away but then what sort of life would that be.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

mowing may have health benefits but i wonder what effect the lawnmower, brushcutter etc... emissions have on me in the long term??

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast