Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: unpaid payment .. www.prushka.com.au

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Default unpaid payment .. www.prushka.com.au

How long do you guys recomend to wait from doing job to chasing up unpaid payment. I realise that people are often not home when i mow there lawn and i say to them i will leave invoice with bank details payments are due in seven days. ive got some 3 weeks late now last time i got cranky and had some 6 weeks old and i sent an email saying i was raising prices if accounts where not up todate and had all accounts paid with in 2 days. What do you guys think should i ring people that are 2 weeks old. some ill be there to mow there lawn again next week.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Default Re: unpaid payment

It's probably good to "train" your customers to pay by the due date if you can. You could give them a verbal reminder after 10 days if 7 days is your stipulated term (a few days grace never hurt anyone, and it might honestly be in transit).
    It's when they start accumulating unpaid accounts that you really need to jump up and down. (I've sent out some follow-up letters today, trying to get some of our really slow payers caught up...not my favourite task, but needs to be now and then.)
    Ciao for now ~ Christine
    senior partner ~ Townsville Lawn Care
    http://townsvillelawncare.webs.com

Keep on top of it, dont let things get out of hand, but on the other hand dont be totally ruthless. You,ll get a feeling 4 who,s genuine & who,s not.
    Cheers Dean.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

I ring customers if their over due by 5 days. They wouldn't like it if I didn't turn up to do the job when I felt like it

David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Funny, Iv'e never had a problem with customers paying late or not paying by an agreed date (I can be flexible if they let me know what's going on). I always sneak that one line "I know where you live" in a joking sort of way into a conversation.
    mobilemulching.com
    The key to a self sustaining, organic garden.

Well, l got my first non payer, Its now a week over due, she stop answering my phone calls and theres no answer at the door.

Quote Originally Posted by TassieXJ
    Well, l got my first non payer, Its now a week over due, she stop answering my phone calls and theres no answer at the door.
    Could be any one of a number of genuine reasons.

Send a formal overdue notice asking for a reason for non-payment, and stating in payment not made by xx-xx-xx, then you will send to debt collector.

I use Prushka's (no recovery, no cost), but there are others.
    I always stipulate in terms that accounts forwarded to a debt collector will have commissions and fees added to the claim.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Agree with everything that has been said so far. Stay on top of them but give them a chance. I send an overdue reminder then follow up with final notice.

The majority of my invoices are sent via email. I always ensure that a read receipt is switched on as well. If you are getting no where try talking to them face to face but if the still are avoiding you then follow DavidB's advice.

If you have a customer who continually is late and causes issues my best advice is to ditch them as soon as you can. They are simply not worth the hassle and extra time and you will quickly find others to replace them. I vet my new customers a whole lot better now than I used to. If I get a feeling they are a little bit shonky I ask for payment up front. If they have not paid for the last job don't do the next one until they do
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

[QUOTE=Bluey]Agree with everything that has been said so far. Stay on top of them but give them a chance. I send an overdue reminder then follow up with final notice.

The majority of my invoices are sent via email. I always ensure that a read receipt is switched on as well. If you are getting no where try talking to them face to face but if the still are avoiding you then follow DavidB's advice.

ALSO AGREE
    But - I have customers whom have been slow payers for 15 + years.
    These are friendly clients , good priced lawns, and I am always paid in the end.(Usually rich too).
    They do not seem to understand that in our trade we rely on continual, prompt payments.$60 -$100 might mean nothing to them but to us it means heaps.
    Wasting time with repeated invoices mailed/delivered/posted is a waste of time. Phone calls asking for payment is worse (stressful)
    I also vet my customers now more thoroughly than in the past but there always be some slow payers.
    I used to get agro and threaten to kick down the door if not answered , but now just get the payment and dump the bad payers. (should be a list in each state).
    I have also tried putting a late payment penalty.(Does not work).
    My customers at the moment are all excellent payers and life is
    good
    I have trained them well

As another alternative, add $5 or $10 to each invoice and offer this back as a prompt payment discount if paid within 7 days.

Yes, you'll get those who pay a week late (minus the discount), however this is still likely an improvement on your existing arrangement.

I make sure to include penalties in account terms - accounts forwarded to a collection agency will have fees and commissions added to the claim. If it comes to using a debt collector (don't be afraid to!) then the cost won't be yours! There are many who charge commissions only on amounts recovered.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

i had one late body corp payer. was about to ditch them but got a last minute call she had been in hospital for a couple weeks & because she handled the accounts no one opened my late overdue invoices.

He yall know if you put lawn clippings around trees and any were there are plants it sux all the nitronchin out just a tip for you novise gardners....But in away it could work to your advantage Mr gardner my tree and plants are dying Miss it looks like you are laking nitigin I can fix that for a small fee Hay presto more on going work lol lol

To many bruskies Iam rambling.......................Dont get the Cartoon fusion with lime They are trying to coppy miller with lime Nothing can stop a thurst like a icy cold miller genuem draft they say the water that goes in to miller beer comes from the flowwing springs of Afganistan they say the smooth flavor comes from Taliban fighters pissing in the strem so thats how you get the smooth taste I sure like it thanks you terry taliban you are doing something wright....

Quote Originally Posted by TassieXJ
    it gives me the sh&t$ when they go into hiding over a payment. they know you are looking for them. once paid they think you are their best friends again & try to make you jump through hoops for them. fat chance.

cheers
    rbm

Page 1 of 12 123456789101112 LastLast