Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mower Dilema

Default Mower Dilema

Hi all,
    I'm new to this lawn mowing game and have only started 3 weeks ago(part time) at the moment but have already found that I need a better mower than my trusty 19 yr old Rover 2 stroke!
    I started checking out mowers on the net and have come across this site, and thank god I did. Its great to be able to get advice and ideas from people who do it for a living and don't have there finger in the pie(so to speak) when it comes to recommending equipment.
    Anyhow, I need a new mower. General purpose, not sure whether i need self propelled, but thought the obvious was a Honda 216 or 217, but after reading some threads on here I just don't know.
    Most of the places i've been doing haven't been mowed for over 6 months and the grass has been 18" high and regular rain and drizzle lately has made matters worse. I'm concerned about the honda in wet conditions, does the non selfpropelled ones have the same issues with wet grass?
    Which honda motor is the better of the 2 available? I'm interested in the Bushranger but the only person who can get them here doesnt' have one in stock so I would be buying sight unseen. What about a Masport? Many like the Rover 560 pro, the only thing i don't like about it is the catcher is smaller than others. So, am i right in thinking that something with a 21 or 22" cut, push only would be right for me or am i gonna wear out real quick pushing a big mower. sorry for such a big rant guys but i really have confused myself with too much information. Any help would be muchly appreciated

Default Re: Mower Dilema

Ring Dean on 1800501662 he will give the real guff about it all . I.L.M.C.O.A http://www.indmowing.com.au/html/contact_us.htm

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Hi Gil I have the 6hp 21'' push Bushranger and have had no problems with it .The true beauty of this machine is it's wet grass pickup in which i can vouch for,the Bushranger is also a lighter mower than the others I have (ARIENS SP 6,75HP monster of mowers and extremely heavy)Bushranger also have a SP model as well ,hope this is helpfull .I tried the Rover SP (DEMO) and was very impressed ,its very fast and cut well GOOD LUCK and WELCOME

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

I think my next mower will be the Bushranger, the Honda 216 gives me the ships just about every day, i must say though its pretty reliable though and starts nearly first time every time,,just can't cut grass

I bought a Bushy 530SP early this year. No complaints,3 speed & plenty of guts.Its heavy though, not one for lifting on/off the back of a ute. Wish they'd make a mulch plug!

If you are fair dinkum about mowing lawns for a living you should buy the best gear you can afford. If you only want to buy one mower get a honda 216. If you want to buy something else go for it but in 6 months you will be at the mower shop buying the honda.Picking up wet grass is not that big of an issue if you get the revs adjusted up and use all high lift blades.Yes the honda has some issues but overall its the best allrounder for mulching and catching. There is no perfect mower but if the guys who make them listened to the guys who use them I'm sure they would be a lot better then what we can buy today.

Talking Re: Mower Dilema

Quote Originally Posted by Sandgroper
    I think my next mower will be the Bushranger, the Honda 216 gives me the ships just about every day, i must say though its pretty reliable though and starts nearly first time every time,,just can't cut grass
    Hey groper, there is a little lever thing on the right side near back wheel, move it a few notches as needed and then you find when its low enough it actually cuts grass

Very Helpful Member

the motor on the 196/216 is the more heavy duty but also the heavier [dry weights HRU196 34.9kg / HRU197 31.8kg / HRU216 43.3 / HRU217 35.0kg ]note the 216 is self propelled the 217 is push but basically identical minus the drive gears and the engine type
    also note which ever one you get the engine will probably outlast everything else
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Thanks guys,
    went and had a look at the honda range this morning, confused myself even more!
    The new 216 is a pretty impressive looking mower, but I can see where you guys are coming from when you talk about the chute clogging in wet grass, its fairly restricted. The 217 uses the same chassis so chute size is still the same.
    Got home and saw Deans reply so gave him a call and had a good chat about it and pretty sure now i've decided on a 196D. A bit smaller and lighter and probably more suited to my needs. Maybe later I'll go for the 216 as the business grows.
    Thanks all for the help,appreciate it.
    Gil

If you need info on snorkels,worth a read !
    Personally, they give the motor a lot more longevity in dusty enviroments.

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/sh...hlight=snorkel

Very Helpful Member

and you get your money back in saving on airfilters
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

what are those snorkal kits worth ? i usually clean all my filters on a friday and my 196 gets dirty as this time of year not so bad when its raining but the oiled foam element stops the dirt from touching the paper element and i just clean and reoil the foam element paper one still looks brand new 6 months old now i think just wondering if its worth it

when i 1st started mowing, nearly all contractors had the rover with suzuki 2 stroke engine. Then the hondas became popular. Now i start seeing a trend towards the bushranger mower. is it because of the wet grass catching capabilities? be interesting to see who comes out on top in the coming years. The honda drives me crazy trying to pickup wet grass.

I use the Rover 560 pro with the B&S Inteck 65 motor, can't fault it for mowing wet or thick grass, catcher is a bit small. I also bought the Rover 510 with a B&S Inteck 55 motor, same thing wet or thick grass it just eats it. Just have to empty the catcher a bit more often than the Honda. The Rover is also faster across the ground, when you use full throttle and pull the bale lever all the way in.
    We have a Honda at work and we had a race last week to see which mower can mow the fastest. The Rover won by a fair way, only had to empty the catcher once, Honda also had to empty once. Rover had nearly a full catcher at the finish but Honda was only 1/2 full. We did this over 200m2 area each.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast