Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Jim's Mowing Franchisees want to cut and run

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Default Re: Jim's Mowing Franchisees want to cut and run

Quote Originally Posted by AJD Mowing View Post
    My daughter works at a child care center and I do all the gardens/lawns I am surprized I dont need one..

About a month ago I was asked to go in and show all the kids the mowers and things, how everything works then they all stood back and watched me mow the lawn. I went there last Sat and they have 6 toy mowers there so maybe some budding mower men in the making
    I think the laws must be relaxed in NSW....

I do 2 childcare centres and i've never been asked to get a check done. My wife does canteen at the school every 2 weeks and doesn't need one... the kids have a walkathon next wednesday and the principle asked my wife today if she can help with a check point (again, no working with children background check).

I also do a property where they have forster children... Doc's is there usually every 2 or 3 visit that i'm there and i've never been asked for a background check.

I've heard about people needing a check... maybe we do in NSW also?

Anyway, I try to do the childcare centres afterhours as it is easier and quicker to do... no one in my way!

Simmo.
    New website coming soon...

www.mowinglawns.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Paul, Can you show me exactly where is says that? I cant see it anywhere, only if working with children. Can you point it out to me please?
    This section mentions 'groundskeepers' Mick but it's unclear whether it means volunteers or paid contractors.

There is a distinction I believe between those working directly around children and those working on an after hours basis. I'll see if I can find out a better answer so we all know for sure.

http://www.ccypcg.qld.gov.au/bluecar...ndparents.html

As a Teacher's Aide years ago I needed one but I can't say for sure as a contractor for grounds maintenance.

Very Helpful Member

i had to get one for working with elderly/disabled when payment is made through a care organisations
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    This section mentions 'groundskeepers' Mick but it's unclear whether it means volunteers or paid contractors.

There is a distinction I believe between those working directly around children and those working on an after hours basis. I'll see if I can find out a better answer so we all know for sure.

http://www.ccypcg.qld.gov.au/bluecar...ndparents.html

As a Teacher's Aide years ago I needed one but I can't say for sure as a contractor for grounds maintenance.
    I went over that site when I was having a go at the high school a few months ago and couldnt find anything saying I needed a Blue Card. I'd assume when they say "grounds keepers" etc, they are talking about Janitors, staff that work there all week. Not contractors like ourselves. But Im only saying that because I couldnt find anything to say otherwise.

Personally, I dont think you need one if your just going in to mow the lawns etc.

I quoted on a school, and even though i was going to do it after hours I needed a WWC check. The reasoning being that there are still kids doing activities after hours.

Looked at a council tender which included childcare centres, and you needed one for them.

My sons school wants one if we drive the kids on excursions, even though the regulation says its not included if your child is present

Senior Member Lawn Mowing Professionals's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS View Post
    I have to have a Working With Children check to be a parent helper on any school excursion, help in the canteen or classroom.
    I also have to have it for being the basketball team manager - where I communicate with the parents, not the kids
    I also have to have it for being on the netball committee. The only contact I have with the kids is exactly the same as every other parent on a Saturday morning watching their kids play.

What happens if you're as dodgy as anything but have never been caught? No amount of police check is going to show what you've never been caught at. But those are the rules.
    I just spoke to my better half... and i have been advised she would need to get a working with children check if she goes on an excusion or working in the classroom (i.e helping out with reading etc)... she said the school pay's for it if it is required. Definately doen't need it for canteen.

I think NSW is probably well behind the 8 ball... It makes me wonder why the school is paying for it?

Did you have to pay Joanne... or did the school pay?

Simmo.
    New website coming soon...

www.mowinglawns.com.au

its free to get thru scouts - my understanding is that certain organisations dont have to pay for it at all, its prolly only if a business gets one directly by themselves that you have to pay the $72.50

wouldnt surprise me if its free thru schools too.

cheers

Very Helpful Member

you legally have to have them in Vic this was brought in i think about 5-6 years ago funny thing was i had on through 1 organisation that paid for it but then i couldn't get or use a copy of this for another organisation that wouldn't pay for it so had to pay myself in the end anyway but then had my own and sent copies with any paper work i had to submit to people
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    you legally have to have them in Vic this was brought in i think about 5-6 years ago funny thing was i had on through 1 organisation that paid for it but then i couldn't get or use a copy of this for another organisation that wouldn't pay for it so had to pay myself in the end anyway but then had my own and sent copies with any paper work i had to submit to people
    The regs in Victoria for WWC cost

What is the difference between an ‘Employee’ WWC Check card and a ‘Volunteer’ card?

The Check is the same for employees and volunteers but there is no fee for a ‘Volunteer’ application or replacement card.

If you have a Volunteer card and start doing paid ‘child-related work’, you must apply for an ‘Employee’ card as penalties apply.

Very Helpful Member

one makes money for the Government the other doesn't

Quote Originally Posted by Lawn Mowing Professionals View Post
    Did you have to pay Joanne... or did the school pay?
    There is no charge in Vic for WWC's if you need it for volunteer things like school helpers (def need it for canteen in Vic), junior sport, scouts etc. If you need it for professional reasons I think the charge is $70 initially with a lesser charge to renew (not sure how much or how often renewal is required)
    ~ Joanne ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS View Post
    There is no charge in Vic for WWC's if you need it for volunteer things like school helpers (def need it for canteen in Vic), junior sport, scouts etc. If you need it for professional reasons I think the charge is $70 initially with a lesser charge to renew (not sure how much or how often renewal is required)
    Got mine not long ago its, $100.20 and good for 5 years

Very Helpful Member

i think it's 3 years
    ok looks like i'm wrong

For anyone interested, Jo hall interviews Jim penman 5pm ...3mp.

Pretty boring s$%t.
    Cheers Fred.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 LastLast