Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Anything useful from EBAY?

Default Re: Anything useful from EBAY?

Quote Originally Posted by redbackmowing
    i saw a link from the ebay site to crazy sales site selling raiden 3.05mtr 33cc chainsaw pruner for $199. has anyone purchased one of these. any good for the price???
    link here chainsaw pruner
    Got one about 2 years ago, also paid for itself 1st day. Done a lot of heavy work.Stripped the gears around a year ago but they replaced them (free I think).I keep thinking of getting a good pole-saw but this thing keeps going - with regular TLC/maintenance!Ok, I have never been shown how to use one or qoute a chainsaw job.

"Can anyone show me a step by step procedure on chainsaws and qouting on jobs as I have seen a few jobs I had to knock back because I didn't have the right gear and know-how on pricing."

Go and do the TAFE chainsaw cert. course. I day in the classroom, one day of practical. Chainsaws are scary beasts (like 9" angle grinders) for the uninitiated.

Never ever cut anything with the tip of the blade. Never ever get complacent with the saw. It is your worst enemy. Never forget this.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Id use any size chainsaw b4 a 9" angle grinder. If u put on a masonary blade & cut through conc the kick can be huge .
    At least a chainsaw has a chain brake.
    Cheers Dean.

Very Helpful Member

i remember seeing a guy pruning an overgrown photinia hedge using a circular saw cut it down from about 10 feet to 4 feet high it looks good now but i nearly had a panic attack just watching him
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian
    i remember seeing a guy pruning an overgrown photinia hedge using a circular saw cut it down from about 10 feet to 4 feet high it looks good now but i nearly had a panic attack just watching him

Saw a similar thing only a couple of months ago. Lady called me for a quote to remove prunings. Got to the property to see a huge pile of gum tree branches on the footpath. Young lass came out and told me this was the job. Only then did I see her hubby 8 foot up a tree bare foot cutting it down bit by bit with a circular saw. I nearly had a fit and explained to him it was unsafe but he didn't seem fazed by it. I gave the quote and got out of there quick smart. Never got the job.
    Cheers

Bluey

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    Saw a similar thing only a couple of months ago. Lady called me for a quote to remove prunings. Got to the property to see a huge pile of gum tree branches on the footpath. Young lass came out and told me this was the job. Only then did I see her hubby 8 foot up a tree bare foot cutting it down bit by bit with a circular saw. I nearly had a fit and explained to him it was unsafe but he didn't seem fazed by it. I gave the quote and got out of there quick smart. Never got the job.

thats proberly why she rang you bluey , she proberly thought if hes that frigging stupid with the power saw what tricks he got up his sleaves for the mulching

I was only saying to my wife the other day, that if chainsaws where only invented this year and a company wanted to sell them, there would be no way they would pass any safety standards and people would laugh at how dangerous these things are.
    mobilemulching.com
    The key to a self sustaining, organic garden.

Great...I've got a lot to look forward too....my lil ebay beast!

Get yourself one of those one handed chainsaws and just don't get to cocky with it or you will lose out big time. Most pruning jobs and even tree removal jobs can be done with a 12' chainsaw, if you need a larger bar to get the job done you have to ask your self if your qualified or competent for such a job.
    mobilemulching.com
    The key to a self sustaining, organic garden.

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye
    Got one about 2 years ago, also paid for itself 1st day. Done a lot of heavy work.Stripped the gears around a year ago but they replaced them (free I think).I keep thinking of getting a good pole-saw but this thing keeps going - with regular TLC/maintenance!Ok, I have never been shown how to use one or qoute a chainsaw job.

"Can anyone show me a step by step procedure on chainsaws and qouting on jobs as I have seen a few jobs I had to knock back because I didn't have the right gear and know-how on pricing."

Go and do the TAFE chainsaw cert. course. I day in the classroom, one day of practical. Chainsaws are scary beasts (like 9" angle grinders) for the uninitiated.
    thanks redeye,
    i'm really thinking about getting one. those on ebay maybe a bit longer in reach but the actual bidding to get a cheap price is a pain & pot luck. saw a guy 2 days ago doing a cleanup down the road. he had his chainsaw up above his head with no visor or hard hat on. any kickback he would be badly hurt.
    i'm not confident with a chainsaw. a pole pruner - yes. the amount of chainsaw being sold on ebay is crazy. would get a certificate 1st to use one. their down right dangerous in the wrong inexperienced hands.
    i remember my old man using the circular saw to cut back his trees. he's an ex chippy & probably felt more confident using it.
    cheers
    rbm

Here VJ,

Read this before you start using your chainsaw. It gives you the basics but you really should do a chainsaw course. A couple hundred dollars at TAFE will save you a lot of grief. You will be instructed by a professional operator.
    http://www.stihl.de/safety_manuals/e...e_englisch.pdf

I just bought a new generator off these guys as back up for the summer. Can't have my fish tank being without power for too long plus I don't want my beer getting hot. Also may need it for a contract am looking at after Xmas so it will come in handy.
    Cheers

Bluey

Quote Originally Posted by Glenofcarwoola
    Get yourself one of those one handed chainsaws and just don't get to cocky with it or you will lose out big time. Most pruning jobs and even tree removal jobs can be done with a 12' chainsaw, if you need a larger bar to get the job done you have to ask your self if your qualified or competent for such a job.
    So true, and it's easier to see what your cutting when it's only that length, less chance of hitting another branch with the tip too.

My nephew (a builder) used his drop saw on a crepe myrtle one day, scariest bit of gardening I can remember.

Do a course if you have time and money and or spend some time with someone who has heaps of experience. I learnt from a guy who cut down trees for a living for 40 years, he never made a cut he didn't plan.

The cheap pole saws sold on ebay might be a better option anyway.You still have a 12" bar which is enough for pruning work and the advantage of 10" extra reach.

Chainsaw danger grows exponentially when you try using one up a ladder, up a tree or above shoulder height.

Thats why the made one handed chainsaw Like stihl 200t 192t or Husqvarna 338 or 344t I have the 344t best thing in the world for garden clean ups.

Page 2 of 95 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829303132333435363738394041424344454647484950515253545556575859606162636465666768697071727374757677787980818283848586878889909192939495 LastLast