Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawnmowing Yearly Schedule

Default Lawnmowing Yearly Schedule

just like to get some opinions about a 'yearly mowing schedule' that i'm going to attatch to my quotes. with a bit of rain about brissie work should start picking up. i want to educate my new customers & convert old ones of this new schedule i will be following.

'yearly mowing schedule'

To have a great looking lawn it needs to be mowed regularly year round.

The great benefits of a regular mow are:

1. A great looking lawn being maintained by a professional contractor.
    2. A cheaper rate than a casual cut.
    3. Piece of mind about your lawn maintenance.
    4. Priority is given to regular customers over the casuals – especially at X-mas.
    5. No wasted time calling & chasing a mowing contractor every time you need a mow.
    6. Gardening 1hr min. for regulars & not 2hr for casual customers.

The Schedule

Mowing every two weeks from September to April & every three to four weeks from May to August. Any mowing outside the schedule will became a casual mow. A price increase on the next mow will occur. When a casual needs a mow, it can be only done when all regulars are serviced & when we can fit you in our mowing schedule. Prices subject to change at anytime. Payment by cheque add $5.50 fee. Payment by PayPal add $2.20 fee.

Regards

it's not a signed contract. just something to have in writing for their benefit. does anyone else do this or only verbally tell the customer. if they don't like the schedule well they convert back to a casual rate which can be variable due to condition of their lawn.

is this too much info for them? would it scare them off? pita's may not take the quote(good thing).

any suggestions, critical remarks & comments would be much appreciated.

cheers
    rbm

Default Re: Yearly Mowing Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by redbackmowing
    'yearly mowing schedule'

4. Priority is given to regular customers over the casuals – especially at X-mas.
    5. No wasted time calling & chasing a mowing contractor every time you need a mow.

The Schedule

Mowing every two weeks from September to April & every three to four weeks from May to August. Any mowing outside the schedule will became a casual mow. A price increase on the next mow will occur. When a casual needs a mow, it can be only done when all regulars are serviced & when we can fit you in our mowing schedule. Prices subject to change at anytime. Payment by cheque add $5.50 fee. Payment by PayPal add $2.20 fee.

Regards

cheers
    rbm

If I was an existing customer, I reckon it might sound a bit too rigid, and you might lose me altogether, unless you:
    1. do a really good job already for a reasonable price
    2. you haven't been jacking the price up on them too much to date and
    3. the general timeframe you offered suited me. (It's hard to know what the weather will bring in terms of growth/not, hence my earlier comment re rigidity.)
    As for #3 on your list, I wouln't want your piece of mind about my lawn maintenence, tho' I might want peace of mind - spelling things the right way can make a big difference
    On the plus side, I like your reference to regular customers getting priority - I'm sure that will make them feel a bit better about being locked into a "regular" maintenence program.
    All the best with applying it - let us know how it works out.
    Ciao for now ~ Christine
    senior partner ~ Townsville Lawn Care
    http://townsvillelawncare.webs.com

Talking Re: Yearly Mowing Schedule

As a customer i wouldnt sign it or agree to it and you can stick the fees lol .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

thanks for the replies admin & Christine,

thanks for the typo mistake i made. maybe a bit more flexibility on mowing frequency due to weather conditions ie. drought... my regulars are 2-3 weeks anyhow. it's the casual customers that let their lawn go for too long between mows & than expect it done at same price i like to target. i probably drop fees but 'cash is king'. i'll ask before quoting how their paying & factor that in the quote. if they don't want fees then they can pay by cash. i don't want to absorb the fees myself. plus 30 mins running around to bank cheques.

yes i thought some will be put off by it. nothing will be signed. it's just my conditions for doing the lawn. lets them know if they leave their lawn get too long an increase in price is on the cards.

i'll give it a bit more thought & see what i can come up with.

cheers
    rbm

Reback,

I think most of the "benifits" you not the customers lawn.

Benifits should include:
    - free weed control twice a year (start of spring and winter)
    - Aerating the lawn twice a year
    - treat for grubs (if needed)

Jay

I've very interested in this method Redback, you seem to have the right idea when it comes to working out how to retain your customers year round, and in this industry its a bloody brilliant thing!!

My question is that because there is no contract (which is an excellent thing) how do you control customers to stop them turning the service on and off like a light switch??

For example if Joe Bloggs decides he wants your year round mowing calendar, how do you dissuade him from going "well i'll have Redback Mowing for 8 weeks, then i'll kill it off for winter, then when it gets to spring i'll tune back in for the X-mas pricing, and priority"

How do deal with that? or do you just wear it?

Great system though, nice work. just work on those *customer* benefits!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Silkwood Garden Care
    Benifits should include:
    These are great 'extras' as a benefit provided to regular clients that pay on-time.
    I would call domestic clientsregular at least 6-weekly off season and paid within 7 days.
    If you got any larger commercial job where you are paid a flat monthly fee, not by the job, treating for weeds may help you stretch a little further between mows AND the lawns look better overall.
    Clients always like to see you do a little more than quoted.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

after these comments all appreciated by the way, i think my conditions are too rigid. it's what i would like to happen with every customer ie. 2 weekly mows, paid by cash.

i will likely change wording to "mowing every 2 weeks in warmer growth months & 3/4 weeks in cooler months. mowing outside the schedule will be classed as a casual cut".

i'll drop the quoting of banking fees. these will now be factored into the quote. (hidden fees). will keep the benefits list but drop the gardening restrictions. my quote sheet lists regular mow price & casual rate. so they'll know - it's their choice.

Originally Posted by Silkwood Garden Care
    Benifits should include:

hi silkwood - i consider these add-on services. they will be getting a cheaper mowing price if a regular. that's the carrot for them. thanks for your reply.

quote:
    Fresh_Cut
    My question is that because there is no contract (which is an excellent thing) how do you control customers to stop them turning the service on and off like a light switch??

For example if Joe Bloggs decides he wants your year round mowing calendar, how do you dissuade him from going "well i'll have Red . back Mowing for 8 weeks, then i'll kill it off for winter, then when it gets to spring i'll tune back in for the X-mas pricing, and priority"

could happen but will have to wear it i guess. no contract but if they disappear for 8 weeks, well a casual rate for their next mow will happen. i thought about the monthly full maintenance schedule. were they pay a monthly set amount for 12months. but decided not to go ahead because of what your saying. they would get my services in the busy summer months & come winter drop me like a hot potato. they may feel they aren't getting their money worth in winter but in busy summer getting great value. so will quote per job now.

so the bottom line is i quote for a regular & casual rate. their informed of my mowing schedule. their informed of the benefits. if a regular goes outside that schedule then it's a higher casual rate. if their happy with the casual rate, then that's fine too. it's their choice. i've had regulars through winter here, that want it mowed every 3 weeks. even with no rain for 4 months. i was mowing not much grass. these are good customers i want not ones that i don't see for 2 months or more.

cheers
    rbm

Sometimes we can make what can be a relatively easy task difficult Use the KISS method! Keep It Simple Stupid
    It will always happen with Domestic work boys n girls, mowing, plumbing, window cleaning etc. The client is IN CONTROL HERE!
    Spend that little extra time with them when you quote them, document fair but firm policies on your quotes/invoices and WIN THEM OVER 1ST with your work!!
    Give them an excellent service that is value for money for their needs and they will retain you and let you "call the shots" up to a reasonable point You will ALWAYS get clients who don't fit into your way of thinking -make them fit into your business calculations to still be profitable for you while still searching for those other excellent clients you desire. When they dont fit your needs any longer then sell them off etc, just as they would do to you - it's just business!
    DON'T FIGHT IT - WORK WITH IT to make it work for you as time and good business planning, advertising and practices should see this improve - BUT PROBABLY NOT DISAPPEAR.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by administrator
    As a customer i wouldnt sign it or agree to it and you can stick the fees lol .
    Ahhhhh... Your so suttle admin

To suceed you have to make a good experience for the client and not complicate it too much but on the other hand you have to lay the ground rules ...a lot that has been suggested by redback is spot on and really good stuff...so to make a good balance its hard sometimes....on our quotes we make some rules on the back of the quote like frequency , cleaning up , changing what needs to be done...the old days of every two weeks used to be simple but with the way things are today you have to bend a bit but also need to lay the ground rules....if you have nearly full books you can dictate but if you are searching for more work you need to bend the rules and be a bit each way.....at the end of the day its the client thats needs satisfying not you ...

Very Helpful Member

i would suggest handing them to the clients that you would be lest fussy about losing first to gauge there reaction then if it's positive give them to the other clients
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Senior Member The Local Gardener's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by redbackmowing
    just like to get some opinions about a 'yearly mowing schedule' that i'm going to attatch to my quotes. with a bit of rain about brissie work should start picking up. i want to educate my new customers & convert old ones of this new schedule i will be following.

'yearly mowing schedule'

The Schedule

Regards

it's not a signed contract. just something to have in writing for their benefit. does anyone else do this or only verbally tell the customer. if they don't like the schedule well they convert back to a casual rate which can be variable due to condition of their lawn.

is this too much info for them? would it scare them off? pita's may not take the quote(good thing).

cheers
    rbm

your intentions are fantastic, won't work in my eyes. Maybe that could work for retirement villages, schools etc... customers dont really give a stuff.....really..... very few stay loyal, (if that)

I had a guy after 3 years to tell me see ya later for $4.... I was done by a $36 dollar cut. go figure....

Mr Redback Mowing,

Take our advice and put your proposed schedule in the bin.
    You are the one providing the service and if the punters want it they will be in contact.
    With the amount of Lawngrubs, Highschool drop outs and Dolies around today you are in no position to call the terms just be thankful you have the the job.

With the down turn in jobs today every man and his dog are putting a mower on the back of their ute and trudging the streets looking for a lawn to cut.

This situation is not helped by the fact that it has not rained for a long time, many months in our portion of QLD and if you are going to hold a stick to your clients head the only result will be you will have a dwindling client base until you are out of the business altogether.

Take care and think about it some more

Gary Firth Band J Mowing Bundaberg almost 5 years in the game.

My regulars on occasions ring to drop of the schedule for various reasons, I wouldnt penalise them becuase they miss out on one or 2 mows during the year, I am happy to put up with the occasional dropout, it doesnt matter if I mow 26 times per year or 20 times, they are my bread and butter. The regulars always get priority on over the casual, but if I can fit a casual in, I will work the extra hour or 2 at night, because they are my next regular.

Just this week I had one who has dropped out for the last 6 months, not sure why, but suddenly he emailed this week, and I know I will have a regular for the next 12 months, good payer, and regular work again, beats advertising to fill the gaps.

look after your regulars, even if they drop out occasionally, there are many different reasons,

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast