Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Type of grasses for Victoria

Default Lawn Type of grasses for Victoria

Hi all, lve got this customer moving to Vic and they asked me what would best for there new lawn. There lawn over he is a ryegrass blend, but we dont have a issue with water.

Cheers

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: Type of grasses for Victoria

sir walter buffalo and mown at the correct height or kikuyu
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

kikuyu is that spelt correctly with all the weeds growing down here in Melbourne nowadays its has much better weed tolerance and seems to go better in our climate down here. I know Buffalo is the in thing right now but it really needs a water every so often to look its best where as the Kikuyu seems almost bulletproof and seems to handle our winter better. Just make sure your customer has some weedkiller handy to stop the runners going into the garden beds.

I would use Zoysia Empire Green, it is not as invasive as Kikuyu, it can be mowed with a cylinder mower to make a magnifcent lawn. Not much care needed once established.
    Check this out http://www.empireturf.com.au/empire-...teristics.html

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS
    I would use Zoysia Empire Green, it is not as invasive as Kikuyu, it can be mowed with a cylinder mower to make a magnifcent lawn. Not much care needed once established.
    Check this out http://www.empireturf.com.au/empire-...teristics.html
    Sorry, but you guys are wrong!

Zoysia, like kikuyu and green couch, is a turf grass with both stolons (above ground runners) and rhizomes (below ground runners). Therefore, zoysia is capable as much as kikuyu to invade garden beds etc.

Buffalo & Queensland Blue Couch are both stonoloniferous turf grasses only (ie no rhizomes), therefore garden beds are not invaded by runners where there is a garden edge in place.

Re grass invading garden beds, it is simply part of good maintenance to spray turf grasses that do in fact get into gardens.

To answer TassieXJ's original question, the best turf grass is simply that which the customer likes the best. Obviously, consideration needs to be given to whether there is enough sunlight and moisture. These things will alos determine what turf grasses will survive well in areas of full, partial or no sunlight.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by ian
    sir walter buffalo and mown at the correct height or kikuyu
    i recommend these as we have water restrictions in melb and unless the client has a 50,000 lt tank it will be emptied the first time they try to water the lawn and these are about the only lawn grasses i have found that didn't dry up and turn to dust and weeds in the last couple of years [ note the buffalos that haven't been mown properly have also suffered greatly they need to be mown high to survive the hot dry melbourne summers ] zoysia may also be a good option but can't say i have come across it in my lawns
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Thanks for the replys, l will past on the info. I would say that they would get someone to look after the area for them.

Quote Originally Posted by lawngreen
    Sorry, but you guys are wrong!

Zoysia, like kikuyu and green couch, is a turf grass with both stolons (above ground runners) and rhizomes (below ground runners). Therefore, zoysia is capable as much as kikuyu to invade garden beds etc.

Buffalo & Queensland Blue Couch are both stonoloniferous turf grasses only (ie no rhizomes), therefore garden beds are not invaded by runners where there is a garden edge in place.

Re grass invading garden beds, it is simply part of good maintenance to spray turf grasses that do in fact get into gardens.

To answer TassieXJ's original question, the best turf grass is simply that which the customer likes the best. Obviously, consideration needs to be given to whether there is enough sunlight and moisture. These things will alos determine what turf grasses will survive well in areas of full, partial or no sunlight.

i allways take note of what people say that are educated in this type of area .

So thankyou lawngreen .

i love watching how to Tv programs on foxtell etc and i allways have a chuckle on the show property developers .

A lovely blond chick ,helps first time property developers of course shes an expert in her field and does it for a living and passes on her knowledge and experience .

its f amazing when their going down the wrong rd she pops in with some great advice and they dont listen .

lolololol why wouldnt you listen and change direction some do but most dont .

Why why why chuckle chuckle chuckle

Its like a lawnie never done it b4 rings indy and tells them how the industry works lol

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Gerry I agree to disagree, Zoysia is the same type of grass but does not invade gardens any where near as much as couch and kikuyu. Having had some experience with this grass, I have found it less invasive than couch and kikuyu. When I sell my house here and move to my new home I will laying Empire Green.

Cheers David

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS
    Gerry I agree to disagree, Zoysia is the same type of grass but does not invade gardens any where near as much as couch and kikuyu. Having had some experience with this grass, I have found it less invasive than couch and kikuyu. When I sell my house here and move to my new home I will laying Empire Green.

Cheers David
    Good luck with the zoysia!

I guess my issue with some of the answers given in this forum and others is that many so-called professionals are giving opinions on things that are simply wrong.

Please do not say something like...in my opinion kikuyu is better than couch...because there may be a whole lot of reasons for and against. Better that people research the topic correctly and give valid reasons why kikuyu is better than couch.

The other thing is some guys on this forum have been mowing lawns for 5 minutes and they think they are a professional. Mmmm!

I can't believe they are saying Zoysia is slow growing? It grows just as fast as anything else. I do one weekly and it is always harder to cut than couch because it is very thick. I find it a bit tricky to cut. You set the height and it looks a bit scruffy, drop it down a notch and it scalps it. It comes up nice most of the time but it does not seem as deep green as a well fertilised couch or Buffalo lawn. I tried cylinder mowing it a few times but this particular lawn was very thick. How does it handle de-thatching?

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    I can't believe they are saying Zoysia is slow growing? It grows just as fast as anything else. I do one weekly and it is always harder to cut than couch because it is very thick. I find it a bit tricky to cut. You set the height and it looks a bit scruffy, drop it down a notch and it scalps it. It comes up nice most of the time but it does not seem as deep green as a well fertilised couch or Buffalo lawn. I tried cylinder mowing it a few times but this particular lawn was very thick. How does it handle de-thatching?
    Stripes, I'm with you on that!

Zoysia, in fact, has a broad leaf like Buffalo, and therefore would not get as nice a finish with a barrel/cylinder mower.

Very Helpful Member

The other thing is some guys on this forum have been mowing lawns for 5 minutes and they think they are a professional. Mmmm!
    then again some people have been doing it for a lot longer and still have no idea how to do it properly and not only call themselves professional but brag that they have been doing it for x amount of years

Quote Originally Posted by ian
    then again some people have been doing it for a lot longer and still have no idea how to do it properly and not only call themselves professional but brag that they have been doing it for x amount of years
    You're 19, Ian, how long you been in the game????

You're 19, Ian, how long you been in the game????
    I think his listed age maybe wrong. This point has come up a few times before.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast