Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: warning to members and visitors

Very Helpful Member

Default warning to members and visitors

warning i just received a letter from INDUSTRY AND COMMERCE 2009 REGISTER OF BUSINESS INFORMATION ]asking me to fill out the form and update my information then sign and return READ THE SMALL PRINT where it says the cost per edition is AUD 1600 that is $1600 i personally am going to throw it out
    Last edited by administrator; 08-12-2009 at 12:39 PM.
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: warning to members and visitors

i just reread the form and it is a contract authorizing another 2 years so that means $4800
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Yes this letter has been around since 2008 good pick up IAN

On the government scam watch website .

http://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/...%20example.pdf

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Thanks Ian
    I received a phone call this afternoon from some guy from dLook telling me that they are the second biggest internet business directory after the yellow pages and that I should be listing with them for $250 odd dollars. I kept him on the phone for about 15 mins (he called my mobile) while I had a beer and a smoke.

When I looked them up they have heaps of hair dressers and beauty salons listed but I have never heard of them before, has any body?
    mobilemulching.com
    The key to a self sustaining, organic garden.

i wonder if the government is on the scam list

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

If they cold call you then you can be they are scammers. DLook is just another of the millions of online business directories out there. They make their money out of charging you for membership then selling advertising on their site to companies based on thier member base. If you want to list on directories do it on the free ones. One of the best i have found is Aussie Web. I get quite a few hits each month on my website from their site
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Glenofcarwoola
    Thanks Ian
    I received a phone call this afternoon from some guy from dLook telling me that they are the second biggest internet business directory after the yellow pages and that I should be listing with them for $250 odd dollars. I kept him on the phone for about 15 mins (he called my mobile) while I had a beer and a smoke.

When I looked them up they have heaps of hair dressers and beauty salons listed but I have never heard of them before, has any body?
    hi glen,
    put your number in the do not call register. saves a lot of unwanted phone calls. link here:
    do not call register

Quote Originally Posted by redbackmowing
    hi glen,
    put your number in the do not call register. saves a lot of unwanted phone calls. link here:
    do not call register

Doesn't stop the Paki Tele Terrorists
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Wasn't too fussed by the phone call as I found it amusing while having a beer, but this guy was persistent until I got sick of him and ended the conversation. I've' listed in half a dozen FREE internet directory's but haven't tried Aussie Web, thanks for the tip Bluey I'll check them out. Seems that there are just too many internet directory's around for any of them to have a great impact alone (except maybe Google ).

Got my first lead from a Canberra organic society teacher today (it was the student that called me for mulching) so the el cheapo advertising is starting to work. I falsely assumed that I could scale back advertising when things started to pick up but quickly found that my advertising efforts have to be ongoing to grow the business.
    mobilemulching.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    Doesn't stop the Paki Tele Terrorists
    the only calls i've received in about 6 months are from my bank, some charities (which i think are exempt) & 1 insulation company. none from phone/internet companies. so it's working for me. i'm sure it only for 2 years then you have to re-register??

Quote Originally Posted by Glenofcarwoola
    Thanks Ian

Did you register with true local recently?

When I listed with them the next day I got calls from yellow pages, yodel, dlook aswell and another directory I cant remember the name of all in the one day It was like all these companies looked for new listings on true local then pounced

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bgs

When I listed with them the next day I got calls from yellow pages, yodel, dlook aswell and another directory I cant remember the name of all in the one day It was like all these companies looked for new listings on true local then pounced
    I know what you mean when I first registered with them I got bombarded with calls from every directory you could think of telling me their the number 1 or 2 Internet directory to be with. It stopped after a while. Although saying that, I got a call from a bloke supposedly from google today telling me that they could get me on the first page. I told him I'm on the first page of all the area's I work so he types in lawnmowing and says your not there. I said try the area's that I work and hung up. Morons

This probably should be in "Marketing tips", but when I started a few months ago, I used to google the suburbs I worked and lawn mowing and joined every website my competitors were on. (All the free ones anyway). It got me higher up than most of them because my name starts with A.

Problem now is getting all the freebies to accept my change of address.

Quote Originally Posted by Bgs

Think I did. I've registered with a few free ones and 1 very local paid site but there's no way I'm forking over money for any directory sites because I just can't see the value.
    mobilemulching.com

Had a call from someone wanting me to place an ad in the Policemans journal, after all the chat he said a lady would ring to get my details to place the ad for next years journal.

After reading some posts a few alarm bells strated to ring.

When the lady rang I asked if I could be sent a copy of the journal prior to paying for the advertising, she said they would do that, but to date I have not heard from them.

It would seem people are still out there doing the rounds.

Just a quick note for all newbies like me, keep your guards up.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast