Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: warning to members and visitors

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Default Re: warning to members and visitors

Quote Originally Posted by Yard & Car Care View Post
    Had a call from someone wanting me to place an ad in the Policemans journal, after all the chat he said a lady would ring to get my details to place the ad for next years journal.

After reading some posts a few alarm bells strated to ring.

When the lady rang I asked if I could be sent a copy of the journal prior to paying for the advertising, she said they would do that, but to date I have not heard from them.

It would seem people are still out there doing the rounds.

Just a quick note for all newbies like me, keep your guards up.
    There a scam they got me and i showed a copy to a police officer i knew and he told me he had never seen one before and he had been in the service for seven years. They also ring about a diary another scam and the there is the volunter mag and the ambo mag there all scams just say to them no thanks and hang up.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

We got a call from the "Police Journal" about two weeks ago , My wife answered the phone and the guy said G'day love is the boss there

Needless to say my wife sent him packing. Told her they were scammers made her even angrier

While a good many cold canvas advertising contacts may well be scammers, there is a legitimate "Police Down Under" magazine.
    I advertised in it once and picked up some work fo a local copper, also a couple handyman jobs for local 'nic'.
    I have seen their publication.

As far as value for money - there is little value in advertising in a magazine seen only a very small segment of the community - and no value in your details being shown out of town!

Some of these advertisers will try and work around you - "I spoke with [your wife] who approved advertising in our publication. I am calling back to get your credit card details."

Have a policy - only ONE contact point in your business for any and all advertising.

Go a step further - request a sample of their publication sent to you. If they are legit they should be willing to show you their past work
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

I just had a call about advertising in a federal police magazine to help raise funds for 'their next project'. It sounded very dodgy so I brushed him.

I had a very convincing email from ANZ.com... bloody shonky, looked really legit and I was just about to click on the supplied link until I remembered the real bank is anz.com.au not just .com

Very Helpful Member

Just received this Email from a friend this happened to her so as she says beware
    To family and friends

If you have a Commonwealth Bank account at Mount Waverley

BEWARE.
    Today I received a telephone call from the Commonwealth Bank
    “Saying that I had $2000-$3000.00 owing to my and Peter’s credit cards
    Due to been over charged on bank fees!!
    I was given a password and that tomorrow I would
    Receive a phone call from Fair Trading and I had to give them my password.
    These people were very cleaver as they know my whole credit card number,
    Expiry date and my date of birth and address
    Then they asked me for the last three numbers on the back of my card.
    That’s when I thought this is not right .
    Never give those numbers to anyone over the phone.
    I them visited the bank manager Jason Smith from Mount Waverley as soon as I got off the phone.
    He said I was the 10th costumer to come forward since Friday.
    He thinks that there must be a skimming device in the area.
    Beware when using ATMs.
    I have also spoken to Consumer Affairs Victoria and reported this scam, they knew nothing about this scam.
    I then called NSW Fair trading and they knew every detail about the scam and or going to do a Media Alert
    That’s no good for us in Victoria!!!
    Also I rang ACC and they have a web site called Scam watch www.scamwatch.gov.au
    Which they also knew about this scam.
    So please be a where of this scam and just hung up on these people.
    It was very scary that this person on the other end of the phone knew so many of my personal details.
    Just Beware

Remember the Bank doesn't need to ask for these numbers they will already have them
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

I got the Indian guy (whose name was John....lol) ringing me from "Windows Service Centre" telling me they had detected problems with my computer. I told him I don't have a computer.....he hung up.....rude bastich. I've had them a few times.....one guy I had on the phone for about 20 minutes.....I couldn't find that Start button he was telling me to push.....in the end he got sick of trying to scam someone who couldn't even find the start button......he hung up too.....rude bastich.

We get 2-3 a week at the cafe trying to sell us a better phone deal that would "halve our $190 bill from last month" (the bill was actually $54).....these days we just tell them the owner is away on holidays and we aren't authorised to do anything. Unfortunately, last time I checked you can't put a business phone on the Do Not all register.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    I just had a call about advertising in a federal police magazine to help raise funds for 'their next project'. It sounded very dodgy so I brushed him.
    In the last 2 weeks or so I have been called about half a dozen times from the police magazine/journal!! Must be making money from someone. Dont know how many mobile phones this guy has but has been a different number most times.

Buyer Beware!!!!!

I have fun with this stuff, I have time on my hands and work these buggers with bs.

Police magazine/journal - is NOT in itself a scam. While there 'may' be scammers saying they represent this publication, it is a legitimate publication.
    I used them maybe 10 years ago and made sure I obtained a copy of the issue my ad was published in, It is real...

However, consider your market. Not all police receive and/or read this. And the number of those that would see your add nation-wide are tiny compared to your local market.
    As a local I don't think there is ROI in advertising with them unless you are state/nationwide - but some might do so anyway in support of law enforcement personnel.
    In Victoria, the Blue Ribbon Foundation also holds Blue Ribbon Day on 29 September to coincide with National Police Remembrance Day, commemorating officers who have lost their lives in service.

As a general rule - I never accept unsolicited sales calls... no exceptions. Invite them to write you. A scammer wants easy money from a call and is less likely to write.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass View Post
    Police magazine/journal - is NOT in itself a scam. While there 'may' be scammers saying they represent this publication, it is a legitimate publication.
    I used them maybe 10 years ago and made sure I obtained a copy of the issue my ad was published in, It is real...

However, consider your market. Not all police receive and/or read this. And the number of those that would see your add nation-wide are tiny compared to your local market.
    As a local I don't think there is ROI in advertising with them unless you are state/nationwide - but some might do so anyway in support of law enforcement personnel.
    In Victoria, the Blue Ribbon Foundation also holds Blue Ribbon Day on 29 September to coincide with National Police Remembrance Day, commemorating officers who have lost their lives in service.

As a general rule - I never accept unsolicited sales calls... no exceptions. Invite them to write you. A scammer wants easy money from a call and is less likely to write.
    That is of course if it is the real one and it never is. Mate your rule is correct. Send m an email with the details. Never happens
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by glassngrass View Post

I agree and never said it was a scam. Just said I thought someone was making heaps of cash. Also said he calls from many mobile numbers which is also a "red flag"
    Even if it the real one as you mentioned you need to get ROI. New people may often think it is a good idea and when it is paid it goes in the next years edition in their off season

Quote Originally Posted by South East Mowing View Post
    New people may often think it is a good idea and when it is paid it goes in the next years edition in their off season
    When I first started I got scammed into doing the Police Dog Annual Police Magazine where i was guaranteed work from it as it went out to about 300 serving and ex serving police officers within my region. I didn't get one call or one job from it. Waste of $600 in the end ( I got a copy of the magazine sent to me with my ad in it, which looked good I must say. It also had another local from my region advertising in it as well, which I was told would not happen.

I still get calls from them asking to me to advertise. Now I state to them, unless they have an office within my region that I can sit down in and go over all the fine print in detail with them, and for them to show me all the stats and figures showing that I would get the "guaranteed work" and they can put it in writing and sign it infront of my solicitor, I am not interested. Usually they hang up on me at that point. Lesson learnt I suppose. that was a fair few years back now.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

if not a scam, it's walking a fine line...

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

I'm amazed some of the folk here actually buy/respond to any telemarketer call, since 1991 these scams and warnings have been going on for ages. Like really guys and gals, anyone want some shares in the Sydney harbour bridge????

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast