Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: For Getting Payments

Default For Getting Payments

HI EVERYONE,

HAVING A PROBLEMS WITH PEOPLE FORGETTING PAYMENT.

ON MY INVOICE @ THE BOTTEM I HAVE HOW MANY WEEKS IM DUE BACK, PLUS THE DUE DATE FOR THE NEXT CUT. I ALSO HAVE @ THE VERY BOTTEM THAT A LATE FEE OF $5 WILL BE ADDED TO THE TOTAL IF NOT PAID WITHEN 14 DAYS. I EVEN SMS 80% OF MY CLIENTS THE NIGHT B4......

PROBLEM IS STILL SOME FORGET! OR THEY SMS ME BACK TO SAY IT DOES NOT NEED A CUT (which i know it does! ), OR CAN YOU CUT IN A FEW DAYS ETC...ETC....I HAVE AROUND 100 CLIENTS SO CHANGING MY CUT DAYS FOR PEOPLE TAKES TO MUCH ADMIN TIME ETC..ETC..

HOW WOULD YOU GUYS DEAL WITH THIS?

CHEERS & YOU ALL HAVE A VERY MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

GS FROM PERTH WA

Unhappy Re: For Getting Payments

Hi Collingwood,
    I have tried the $5 penalty for late payment but it does not work
    There are so many of us doing this type of work they will just ring someone else for a quote. They probably will not get a quality job but some do not care.

I mow about the same amount of lawns as you but I try to keep my mowing clients as condensed as possible.I prefer to keep in a 8-10 k radius.
    I know how you feel about these PITAS that want to change your schedule.
    When I quote, I tell a client I mow 2 weekly (or less ) and 3 during winter. (There are exceptions if the price is right.) I also explain that it is not worth me mowing your lawn out of your area on a different day
    I work alone, so I can keep dropping bad, slow payers etc and replacing them is no trouble as I try to do a good job .
    Must be hard for a 2-3 man gang without driving too far.
    Anyway Merry Xmas all and Happy New Year

Default Re: For Getting Payments

A $5 late payment won't do anything. I add $25 and what I do is before I add the late fee I send out a reminder and tell them if it is not paid within 5 days the late fee will be added and debtor action will follow after that without notice.

If a client wants to go outside the schedule I have them set on ie. from 2 weeks to 3 and the lawn is going to be harder for us to cut I charge them more for it. I will change a schedule for a client at thier request for special circumstances but generally they are on a fixed rotation and I try bloody hard to keep them to that. I also work areas of suburbs on given days so I cannot afford to let them get out of schedule. If it happens a good trick I learnt from on here is to bring them back in on the rotation in the next couple of times So lets say they want to put a 2 week job off for 3 weeks then you tell them we will be doing your lawn again 3 weeks after that and you charge them extra for both occasions
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

You could try explaining that each invoice will be charged at $5 more than the quoted price, but a prompt payment discount of $5 will apply if paid within 7 days. I don't do this, but make it as easy to pay as possible - my preference is email invoice that night, each bill has bank details - 90% transfer to bank, half the rest pay over bank counter.

You will always get the cheaky ones who feel they can pay late, call you the day before to say come next week instead, etc...

These are PITA's - leave them for the cowboys.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Collingwood,

I used to get my knickers in a twist about payments. I think the late fee will only upset people. Its sounds like its documented on the invoice well but is charging 5 dollars going to lose you customers, especially the good ones.
    If they are good customers they will pay, if your worried about them not ever paying then you should probably get payment in advance or something similar.

I just now leave an invoice and when it gets to say 4 cuts worth I might leave a subtle hint about payment. What happens is that you might get some good weeks where you get a few large payments, and some weeks are a bit light. Its just a matter of moving some money from a good week to a place where u can draw on it when there is a bad week. What I have found is that it balances out most weeks. You might get 6 people during the week that dont pay but you will get some customers that owe a few cuts pay that week and it balances out. ( I hope this make sense).
    The main thing is that they do pay somewhere.

The majority of mine pay on line. I have now set up Pay Mate on my website and I get a few using this as well. A few will pay me cash on the day and a very small few will pay by cheque. I now add a $2 processing fee for all cheques. It should probably be more but some of my client are stuck on cheques. It is such an old school thing IMO
    Cheers

Bluey

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Some of free web listings let you select the payment types you accept.

Thanks For The Great Info!!!!!...ho.ho Ho!!!

You All Have A Merry Christmas & Even A Better New Years!!

G.s Mowing Team Perth Wa !

Quote Originally Posted by a grass act
    Collingwood,

I used to get my knickers in a twist about payments. I think the late fee will only upset people. Its sounds like its documented on the invoice well but is charging 5 dollars going to lose you customers, especially the good ones.
    If they are good customers they will pay, if your worried about them not ever paying then you should probably get payment in advance or something similar.

I just now leave an invoice and when it gets to say 4 cuts worth I might leave a subtle hint about payment. What happens is that you might get some good weeks where you get a few large payments, and some weeks are a bit light. Its just a matter of moving some money from a good week to a place where u can draw on it when there is a bad week. What I have found is that it balances out most weeks. You might get 6 people during the week that dont pay but you will get some customers that owe a few cuts pay that week and it balances out. ( I hope this make sense).
    probably the best bit of advice one could ever give , totally agree , what a top post , been doing this stuff for a long time and its balances , some weeks light some lean but it works out....this week prior to Christmas has been great as some customers have paid 2 to 3 cuts , nice little pay packet,,,,,we find everyone pays some late , even some pay in advance but eventually it comes in thats business..remember we are not getting wages so we have to wait sometimes ...but you do get paid ....

Very Helpful Member

Collingwood,

i agree totally and i find it works well at winter when people owe me start paying makes cash flow in the quite times a little better
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Collingwood,

I agree with this also, dont let it stress you,but dont be too slack either. At the bottom of our invoice it states ,account now due.
    On our next visit if the account has,nt been payed, I write a big PLEASE with an arrow pointing at the word NOW, this usually does the trick.
    Generally speaking, we provide a luxury service, not an essential service. You deserve to be payed promptly, dont stress, sometimes you can let it slide a little , but not too much!
    Cheers Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by collingwood
    HI EVERYONE,

ON MY INVOICE @ THE BOTTEM I HAVE HOW MANY WEEKS IM DUE BACK, PLUS THE DUE DATE FOR THE NEXT CUT. I ALSO HAVE @ THE VERY BOTTEM THAT A LATE FEE OF $5 WILL BE ADDED TO THE TOTAL IF NOT PAID WITHEN 14 DAYS. I EVEN SMS 80% OF MY CLIENTS THE NIGHT B4......

PROBLEM IS STILL SOME FORGET! OR THEY SMS ME BACK TO SAY IT DOES NOT NEED A CUT (which i know it does! ), OR CAN YOU CUT IN A FEW DAYS ETC...ETC....I HAVE AROUND 100 CLIENTS SO CHANGING MY CUT DAYS FOR PEOPLE TAKES TO MUCH ADMIN TIME ETC..ETC..

GS FROM PERTH WA
    i'm finding a few using paypal for payment now. If they don't have the cash on hand to pay you they may find it easier to pay by credit cards through paypal & paymate. it is annoying these customers who will hide under a rock beause they don't have the money to pay you. Or cancel a mow like in your instance. if they just let me know & be more open that they are a bit short this week, can they hold off till next pay etc... it wouldn't be so bad.

cheers
    rbm

the problem with customers who are having trouble paying for 1 mow is that if you let that total go to 4-5 mows it's even more difficult to get that full payment. plus the risk of losing all payment from the ones who move every 6 months renting. just stay on top of things. offer more payment choices & 1 on 1 chat with the customer about late payments.

cheers
    rbm

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by collingwood
    HI EVERYONE,

GS FROM PERTH WA
    At the bottom of my invoices it says stritly 7 days please pay into account and then bsb account numbers. In a week if i have email i email if mobile i text other wise i ring. If no response within 3 days then ring. If still nothing dont go back get a better client in there space. All my clients know there schedual if they leave cash then they leave cash but if not i leave a invoice if they dont like it and some dont they rather pay cash i also leave buisness card they ring me and i inform them of next visit they have cash there then. when i first started i would do one then a second then a third but then i realized thats 3 free mows if they do that to 9 contractors thats a year of free mows.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Quote Originally Posted by redbackmowing
    the problem with customers who are having trouble paying for 1 mow is that if you let that total go to 4-5 mows it's even more difficult to get that full payment. plus the risk of losing all payment from the ones who move every 6 months renting. just stay on top of things. offer more payment choices & 1 on 1 chat with the customer about late payments.

cheers
    rbm

Yes thats true. I have only ever had real problems with 2 customers not paying. I ended up threatening to send them both to the debt collector and when they finally paid up I ditched both of them. It is not worth the hassle putting up with non paying clients. You have to nip it in the bud. Both of the ones I had problems with I didn't do this and regretted it.
    Cheers

Bluey

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast