Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Tenders

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Default Re: Tenders

Quote Originally Posted by SunM View Post
    To give you guys a bit more of an idea of how big crews are for council contracts. The mowing contract based out of the depot I work at (I work on a different contract but same company) has ~25 mowers; 6ft front deck mowers, 16ft front deck with those wing mowers that fold down and several tractors 1 with a big slasher trailer with 3 slashers on it. We have at peak times ~60 staff including casuals (most are full timers) and if it really gets bad like the Melbourne weather does (rain one day and sunshine the next) then private contractors are brought in to help with the load. Most of the crews run with a truck/trailer with 1 guy mowing and 1 guy brush cutting, larger areas just have the edges cut and either the 16ft Toros or tractors finish it up. Theres got to be a fair bit of money involved in these contracts because they would have dropped about $500k on new mowers/trucks in the last year.
    I spoke to the owner of a major contracting business today and he said they are starting to go backwards. They are now starting to advertise in the domestic market again because there is not enough money in council contracts. He did say unless you start branching out into other fields ie tree lopping, large landscaping contracts and the like. Then you will not survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    There is one particular company called Skyline that looks after (I assume) a few "areas." They are a big company, probably the biggest on the Coast.
    Skyline are also in Sydney (not sure if they started here) but have been around for at least 15 years. The reason I remember is they were trying to get the contract for the estate I was in charge of off my old company. They got it eventually long after I had left. The company I used to work for (Sterling Group) have recently been bought out by Citywide who I think are a big Melbourne based company also spreading nationally. It seems the big boys are taking over everything but making very small margins from what I have heard around the traps.
    One of my mates worked for another larger company and said with the prices being charged, there is no way they can be sustained. They have since let go of a lot of staff and are concentrating on construction only.

Has anyone on here read the specifications on the tender applications? I started looking at tenders for irrigation work but I would need someone on full time just to deal with all the stuff involved. Some of the documents have over 100 pages of specs. There is so much OH&S stuff involved, and on one tender application one of the sections was something like " please explain what steps you will take on how you will reduce your carbon footprint whilst undertaking this project". I stopped reading after that.

I think thats basically the crux of what Im saying, "It isnt worth the headache or expense!"

If you new some one that worked for the yellow pages would they give you a discount if that there departmant dout it they aint cheap ill tell yah that....
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    I spoke to the owner of a major contracting business today and he said they are starting to go backwards. They are now starting to advertise in the domestic market again because there is not enough money in council contracts. He did say unless you start branching out into other fields ie tree lopping, large landscaping contracts and the like. Then you will not survive.
    Not sure where the money is being made, council do a lot of 'variations' or something along those lines where theres extra work for extra money, we do also do turf for sports ground and landscaping/garden beds under the same contract I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    The company I used to work for (Sterling Group) have recently been bought out by Citywide who I think are a big Melbourne based company also spreading nationally. It seems the big boys are taking over everything but making very small margins from what I have heard around the traps.
    One of my mates worked for another larger company and said with the prices being charged, there is no way they can be sustained. They have since let go of a lot of staff and are concentrating on construction only.
    Citywide is big company, expanding all the way up the east coast. Melbourne based, we hold what it seems to be the majority of open space council contracts in the Melbourne metro area. Business seems to be booming because theres lots of new gear and the contracts keep coming in, just not enough staff to fill the gaps. I know for the mowing contract in the depot I work out of, at peak time they get a boat load of casuals from labor hire agencies then once the season drops off they offer the good ones a job and dump the rest. Most of winter they just mow the dew off the grass.

You need to have your **** down pat, all your OHS, all your training/induction procedures, etc. I spent about ~45 minutes going through and signing off on SWMS when I first started, then you get inducted. Unless you got all that + whatever else sorted it'll probably be easier trying to sub contractor during peak season.
    Cert III Arborist

How do I get to the members only section, I have no idea regarding passwords, if I am registered etc!
    Life's a garden, dig it! Life's a garden, dig it!

Quote Originally Posted by Back to Basics View Post
    How do I get to the members only section, I have no idea regarding passwords, if I am registered etc!
    e-mail dean at indy he will advise you .

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Back to Basics View Post
    just email or ring dean for the password

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes View Post
    Skyline are also in Sydney (not sure if they started here) but have been around for at least 15 years.

Has anyone on here read the specifications on the tender applications? I started looking at tenders for irrigation work but I would need someone on full time just to deal with all the stuff involved. Some of the documents have over 100 pages of specs. There is so much OH&S stuff involved, and on one tender application one of the sections was something like " please explain what steps you will take on how you will reduce your carbon footprint whilst undertaking this project". I stopped reading after that.
    Skyline are a large company starterd by 2 brothers in Sydney over 15 years ago, about 4 years ago one of the brothers moved to Qld to set up the Qld operations, which i believe are doing very well, particularly from what Mick says. In Sydney they are based out of Seven Hills industrial area and have over 50 full-time staff.

Personally, i like Skyline, i picked up 4 largish apartment blocks from their incompetence in one suburb over a 2 year period (big company - poor attention to detail) and i must admit their prices are quite reasonable, certainly not cheap and not over the top either, the 4 jobs i picked up off them i could easily match their price.

As for those specs to those tender applications - i looked at several Dep't of Housing ones years back. Problem was you had to take out a specific Public Liability insurance policy with Marsh and you as the policy owner where responsible for the first $100,000 of any claim. WTF ???? Huge risk and not worth taking is what i figured.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

For those in Brisbane this tender might be worth a look at https://secure.publicworks.qld.gov.a...tender-details
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

I think this is the post to put this under...
    Recently i ve had 3 body corp jobs request their garbage bins to be put out and put back inside the next day.
    Has anyone else experienced this?
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    Recently i ve had 3 body corp jobs request their garbage bins to be put out and put back inside the next day.

No mate but go for it. Just how lazy are ppl becoming
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by imoww View Post
    I remember there was a gig getting around years ago people would do that and clean the bins with disinfectant before putting them back.
    Go for it Mat you can do that with one hand
    How is the hand by the way?
    AJD Mowing Giving Back Your Life

http://www.ajdmowing.com.au/

As stupid as it seems, I can see why they'd be trying to get someone to do it.

I look after a couple of body corps, and there are bins that will stay in the same place, with the same stuff in them for three weeks before anyone actually bothers to put them out.

If it's close by to your existing clients, then it would be easy money!

So Paul what would you consider a reasonable rate for the service considering it is essentially a 2 day job. Factor in you time getting to the place and your time on site doing it. Plus the fact that it may have to be early in the morning putting them out. Put all that together and your starting to look at good sum each time. Would body corps be willing to pay. From experience body corps like an idea until they have to cough up the money
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast