Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eradicating kikuyu in couch

Default Eradicating kikuyu in couch

I have a client that I just picked up that had a previous lawnie that she got rid of. About a third of her front lawn is infested with kikuyu and it is spreading. Can anyone help with the name of a product that will kill the kikuyu but not the couch.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Default Re: Eradicating kikuyu in couch

Bluey, it's called an axe, trick is to keep hitting it.

Very Helpful Member

a broadleaf weed spray that contains DICAMBA[ie: one that is not recommended for buffalo or kikuyu lawns] may be able to at lest slow it down if not kill it l would suggest testing in a small area first
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Bluey the only way to eradicate kikuyu is by using round up, (glyphosate). Yes a selective herbicide with dicamba will slow the kikuyu down, but it will not kill it.

When I worked on a golf course, the plan was to eradicate all kikuyu and make the course all couch. This was relentless work. Areas would be treated with heavy rates of round up, the old kikuyu turf removed and couch layed in. The kikuyu would start emerging again everywhere. There would be guys who would walk the course with zero weeding wonds dabbing all the kikuyu re emerging.

depending how bad your customers lawn is, it may be worthwile starting all over again, with a knew couch lawn or spot spraying the kikuyu patches.

There is a chemical that kills Kikuyu and not couch but I cant think of the name. Tri something and I think it also has yl in its name!

Quote Originally Posted by lenny
    Bluey the only way to eradicate kikuyu is by using round up, (glyphosate). Yes a selective herbicide with dicamba will slow the kikuyu down, but it will not kill it.

When I worked on a golf course, the plan was to eradicate all kikuyu and make the course all couch. This was relentless work. Areas would be treated with heavy rates of round up, the old kikuyu turf removed and couch layed in. The kikuyu would start emerging again everywhere. There would be guys who would walk the course with zero weeding wonds dabbing all the kikuyu re emerging.

depending how bad your customers lawn is, it may be worthwile starting all over again, with a knew couch lawn or spot spraying the kikuyu patches.
    I'll correct myself, Dicamba will not effect kikuyu, just buffalo.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    I have a client that I just picked up that had a previous lawnie that she got rid of. About a third of her front lawn is infested with kikuyu and it is spreading. Can anyone help with the name of a product that will kill the kikuyu but not the couch.
    Kikuyu in green couch (as opposed to Queensland Blue Couch - totally different plant) can be eradicated with Monument (by Syngenta) or DSMA (by generic).

Trouble with these products is they are pretty expensive, so best to get an expert in - blatant plug for me I guess!

Quote Originally Posted by lawngreen
    Kikuyu in green couch (as opposed to Queensland Blue Couch - totally different plant) can be eradicated with Monument (by Syngenta) or DSMA (by generic).

Trouble with these products is they are pretty expensive, so best to get an expert in - blatant plug for me I guess!

He is spot on Monument is the only way but get ready to fork some cash over

Quote Originally Posted by MowerRob
    He is spot on Monument is the only way but get ready to fork some cash over
    MowerRob, you are dead right about the cost!

Only 6 months ago or so, Syngenta re-packaged the Monument from the previously granular package to the 1 litre Liquid package.

At present, we purchase the 1 litre Monument for over $1,300 - mind you we have around 500 customers in Sydney so we can justify the cost, but if you were to only use the product from time to time it would be an expensive outlay!

Hmmm. Well at that cost I don't think my new client wouldn't keep me for long. How much do you charge your customers to eradicate the kikuyu Gerry. Can you recommend anyone here in Adelaide. I want to assist them but I am not going to fork out $1300 for a litre of Monument
    Cheers

Bluey

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Just on this I did a search for Monument and came up with this. Interesting reading.

http://www.syngenta.com.au/Start.asp...M=&icp=0&sti=1

What I cannot understand is why it is so expensive. Their site did say they were looking at releasing 100 ml bottles. Not sure if they have or not.

Maybe I should just advise my client to p*ss on it in the middle of the night but knowing kikuyu it would probably grow faster.
    Cheers

Bluey

Bluey,

This is an old greenkeepers trick for getting rid of Kikuyu in couch. Wait until the middle of winter when the couch has gone dormant, mix up a half rate of glysophate and spray the kikuyu, (5 ml per litre) and another one in 14 days time, it does not matter if you get overspray on the couch, but try to only spray the kikuyu. Couch it is not taking anything in as it is dormant, it will come back in spring.
    I have tried this one and it does work and a lot cheaper than Monument, but you only get a certain time period to do it in.

I want to clarify one thing with what I said about using glysolphate on kikuyu, the half rates are on glysophate 360, not 720 or powermax

Very Helpful Member

i would probably just take the lazy way out and enjoy a beautiful kikuyu lawn
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by lawngreen
    MowerRob, you are dead right about the cost!

Only 6 months ago or so, Syngenta re-packaged the Monument from the previously granular package to the 1 litre Liquid package.

At present, we purchase the 1 litre Monument for over $1,300 - mind you we have around 500 customers in Sydney so we can justify the cost, but if you were to only use the product from time to time it would be an expensive outlay!
    My understanding is that Monumet will only suppress Kikuyu (wont knock it all out)...Does a good job of it though...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast