Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *@#! Bullants!!!

Default *@#! Bullants!!!

I seem to have a bullant problem, right in the lawn and pathway to my front door. One of my kids copped a bite today (and of course is had to be the melodramatic child, not the easy going one), poor thing I've been bitten and know how much it hurts.

I am watching their mound getting bigger and my pavers sinking. Does anyone have a sure fire fix?

I poured boiling water down the holes yesterday and all that did was prove to me that there were a lot more holes than I realised....Mrs HMS doing the ant dance is not pretty.

I changed my brake fluid today and they didn't like that much either.
    ~ Joanne ~

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: *@#! Bullants!!!

baygon powder used to be good but unfortunately i believe some do gooder decided it was to dangerous to sell so i would suggest going to bunnings and getting a wasp or ant powder type poison [ not the mortein antsand but i think it may be hovex comes in the cardboard cylinder type container ] and spreading it around all the holes you can find they should drag it back into the nest and hopefully kill the whole lot
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Won't bother me Joanne, they'll probably bite Alec

I heard a mixture of deisel, super phosphate, sulphur(?) and a match will put a dent in them - but not recommended near a dwelling - you'll have bomb and anti terrorist squad surround you
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Borax.

My old man used this all the time. You can either sprinkle it around the place or make you own ant syrup by mixing it with sugar and water. Lethal to all kinds of ants. Warning though will also affect animals like dogs and cats. Wont kill them but will make them sick if they eat it.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    Borax.

didn't Borax make a movie or something.

We use Antex and have applied it for years, you can get it from wollies or other supermarkets. 1 container does the whole yard lasts for about 3 months.

P.s whish my clients would use it!

Fix Ant will do the job.
    Put it down the hole put a bit of water and cover the hole and they will get fumigated

Ended up using a product called Hovex and it worked a treat. Haven't seen a single ant since...not even a little black one.

I may have over treated the area but I was determined that none of us was going to get bitten again.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone
    ~ Joanne ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS
    Ended up using a product called Hovex and it worked a treat. Haven't seen a single ant since...not even a little black one.

I may have over treated the area but I was determined that none of us was going to get bitten again.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone
    hi mrs hms
    if you dont mind me asking where did you get that , i have the same problem and nothings worked so far .
    cheers

Got it at Bunnings Geoff.
    ~ Joanne ~

I hate Bullants with a passion as i am allergic to them and go in to anaphylactic shock if bitten i have only been bitten twice in my life and one was a very close call as i were a fair way from anywhere and didnt have the stuff your take if you get bitten, since then i have carried a epi pen with me... A job i did the other day i had to rack up heaps of gum leaves and there were tonnes of the little bastards around i had never been so happy to jump on my ride on

Hey danz. Make sure you check the expiry date on your epi-pen. It'll be OK so long as it isn't cloudy.

Doing what you do for a living you are going to encounter bullants often so you need to be always sure you epi is OK.

I have an anaphylaxis issue with crustacea (no lobster for me ) and went to get a new epi-pen last week and it seems Australia has run out of them...no kidding. May be up to 8 weeks before they're available again (how the hell this happens when we make them here is a mystery).

My friend with 3 kids all with fatal nut allergies can't get them. Found 2 but they have to be sent from Hobart!
    ~ Joanne ~

While working at a Dubbo nursery one Saturday in early '80s a couple of bullants crawled up the inside of my trousers and bit me just below my dangly bits. Dropped my strides in the middle of the crowded nursery while swearing at the little mongrels, much to the customers amusement - I wasn't terribly amused

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS
    Hey danz. Make sure you check the expiry date on your epi-pen. It'll be OK so long as it isn't cloudy.

Doing what you do for a living you are going to encounter bullants often so you need to be always sure you epi is OK.

I have an anaphylaxis issue with crustacea (no lobster for me ) and went to get a new epi-pen last week and it seems Australia has run out of them...no kidding. May be up to 8 weeks before they're available again (how the hell this happens when we make them here is a mystery).

My friend with 3 kids all with fatal nut allergies can't get them. Found 2 but they have to be sent from Hobart!
    Lobster is crap anyway. I'd rather a feed of red claw any day.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast