Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Clients wanting work done immediately.

Default Clients wanting work done immediately.

Is it just me, I've had 4 calls this week from people wanting their lawn/gardens done immediately???

I went and quoted one but it was a half day job and I haven't got that much time this week, so stated on quote earliest I could do it was Saturday, no call back. One fella rang at 6pm last night wanted it done last night! The other two were no where near me and I referred them to the 1800 number for ILMCOA.

I suppose I shouldn't complain at least my phone has been ringing. I'd like to able to take advantage of their urgency but just can't do it at the moment.

Default Re: Clients wanting work done immediately.

What kinda advetisment have you put out..,.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B
    Is it just me, I've had 4 calls this week from people wanting their lawn/gardens done immediately???

I went and quoted one but it was a half day job and I haven't got that much time this week, so stated on quote earliest I could do it was Saturday, no call back. One fella rang at 6pm last night wanted it done last night! The other two were no where near me and I referred them to the 1800 number for ILMCOA.

I suppose I shouldn't complain at least my phone has been ringing. I'd like to able to take advantage of their urgency but just can't do it at the moment.
    Welcome to Melbourne everyone wants it done now.

Quote Originally Posted by 63impala
    What kinda advetisment have you put out..,.
    I letter box drop my local areas each time it rains, and every free listing I could find, and referrals from other Indy's, signage on my car... I think that's it.

Flyers, business cards, and listings say lawn mowing, edges and hedges trimmed, clipping and doggy doo removal. Signage on car is just magnet that says business name and number.

If you have time to do them then do so but add a fair bit extra on the job. I get these pretty regularly as well and they are normally someone who has a property inspection coming up the next day or in a few days. They are doing the ring around to find someone available and if the find someone they will normally go for it. I tell them up front that coming in at such late notice wanting it done immediately will cost them extra. I tell them they will be lucky to find someone available to do it in any case. But make sure that if you don't know them you get money up front as they may never be seen again.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Yeah I think because I'm new around here the majority of my work is clean ups because everyone who uses a regular lawnie already has one. Only two of my regular bookings weren't clean ups to start with!
    Is that the norm?

Here's a tip for the clients reading this forum... Plan about two weeks out to get your lawn done the week before your lease ends and for council letters make calls the day you get your letter. It will eliminate last minute stress.

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B
    Yeah I think because I'm new around here the majority of my work is clean ups because everyone who uses a regular lawnie already has one. Only two of my regular bookings weren't clean ups to start with!
    Is that the norm?

Here's a tip for the clients reading this forum... Plan about two weeks out to get your lawn done the week before your lease ends and for council letters make calls the day you get your letter. It will eliminate last minute stress.
    G'day Andy

I feel your pain mate.

When I first started clean ups or overgrown lawns seemed to be the going thing. I think your right potential customers have probably found most lawnies are to busy. So the new guys and girls are the ones who get the job. But it does get a bit monotamis. Hang in there mate a bloke with your experiance will get there real quick.

Thanks Cranbourne, I will.

Take the money as it comes Andy. Nothing wrong with doing cleanups as you build your round. Good money in it and they will keep you cashed up while you get new customers. I take on clean ups all the time and make a good profit from them.
    Cheers

Bluey

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

I agree, it's always good to spend a morning doing a clean up, one drive, one invoice, and one days pay.

Gotta have regulars though, that way life is not such a rollercoaster!

What's worse - you start to use a subby during off season - pass them really good jobs with flexibility.

Request a quote with a view to start in a few days and regular schedule (eg. twice monthly), and a week later they still haven't looked at the place - 'I got my own jobs'.

Hey! This is regular, year round, you get paid your full rate, you get paid promptly (even if I don't get paid), then you put me at the end of the list?

I also request prompt invoice - or at least a sms or email so I know the job is done and I don't need to make another arrangement. Invoice a week after job is done a week late just won't cut it!

Crying out loud! - I should be treated as your No.1 premium client!

Semi (wannabe) professionals can be frustrating to deal with.

If YOU perform subby work for another contractor, then don't behave worse than your own worst clients. Treat them like gold and you could be spoon-fed a premium work without having to 'earn' it or fight for payment later.

Okay - that's me getting it off my chest!

I'm happy again now!
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

The other problem with a subby as I found out the hard way is that they may not do the job themselves. I use a a bloke for paving work and he runs two crews. Does a lot of major work. He is the son of a mate so I get him to do some paving jobs from time to time. Had a medium sized job that included installing some drip irrigation to some fairly large beds and paving borders. He said he could do it so I arranged for it to happen thinking he would supervise the job.

Well he didn't and sent two blokes over who stuffed the job up terribly and really pissed my client off. They had to come back and redo it and it was not a good situation to be in. Luckily for me my client understood it was not me but the subby but I wasn't happy about it.
    Cheers

Bluey

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey
    The other problem with a subby as I found out the hard way is that they may not do the job themselves. I use a a bloke for paving work and he runs two crews. Does a lot of major work. He is the son of a mate so I get him to do some paving jobs from time to time. Had a medium sized job that included installing some drip irrigation to some fairly large beds and paving borders. He said he could do it so I arranged for it to happen thinking he would supervise the job.

Well he didn't and sent two blokes over who stuffed the job up terribly and really pissed my client off. They had to come back and redo it and it was not a good situation to be in. Luckily for me my client understood it was not me but the subby but I wasn't happy about it.

i find its best just to flick the client there card and tell them to ring them direct to arrange getting the job done = that way you dont get stuck in the middle if such an issue may arise ... a lot of tradies and subbys shunt there responsibilty once working for you rather than directly for the client = thay take on the attitude f---- it im working for him not the client not my problem he can deal with it ...

I agree with Geoff, I have a list of contractors who I refer my clients to, that way I am not stuck in the middle. I have been caught twice where it actually cost me money as I had to cancel a job to fix the stuff up that the subby did. So now I hand out names and numbers and ask the client to tell them I told them to call, seems to work well as I have had no more problems.

Yes, but sometimes a little extra gets added to these jobs as admin fees .
    Cheers Dean.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast