Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Honda Hru196 Catcher Falling Off

Senior Member Wombat Garden Services's Avatar

Default Honda Hru196 Catcher Falling Off

Hi all, my honda 196 is having problems with the catcher falling off when only half full, or on rough ground, the front of the catcher doesn't look really damaged or anything, is the best fix for this the 'Honda Catcher tounge Repair kit 19 inch' from the indi store or is it another problem

Very Helpful Member

Default Re: 196 Catcher Falling Off

make sure the back flap hasn't bowed also the little metal flaps on the bottom corners can get slightly bent just try tapping them gently with a hammer [ lift backflap up and tap small flaps back towards mower ]
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Ocky strap from side to side over guard is a quick fix. But time waster term.

metal tabs as Ian said thats always the first correction to perform...worst scenerio could be the spring needs relacing but am sure its the tabs

I agree with Ian & Geoff. Use pliers or multi grips, its easier.
    Cheers Dean.

And make sure the edge all the way around the metal flap is clean and free from dirt etc. And scrape the area where the spring is with a screwdriver to make sure it's clean too. And RP7 on the spring helps too.

Cheers Rick

I think you jinxed me wombat, I did few with wet grass today and maybe the weight of the wet grass bent the tabs on the guard.

Yes, ensuring the tabs are clean and properly 'engage' the catcher to hold it in place is important, but so is the spring.

Is there still plenty of 'spring' in it?

I find every couple of years the end of the spring can break away and the tension becomes minimal.

Replace this $2 item.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Don't you look like a dick when you trip over the bastard.Only happened to me once i tell you. (Honest)

This has just started with my 196 catcher and the whole mower hasn't seen much work. Looking at the chute lid I did see it had a slight curve to it and wasn't seated square. I pressed this back to flat and cleaned around all the edges as has been recommended above but it still does it occasionally fall off on rough ground. The spring may be the next thing to check.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG
    This has just started with my 196 catcher and the whole mower hasn't seen much work. Looking at the chute lid I did see it had a slight curve to it and wasn't seated square. I pressed this back to flat and cleaned around all the edges as has been recommended above but it still does it occasionally fall off on rough ground. The spring may be the next thing to check.
    have you tried bending the 2 corners [ the reinforced section ] of the flap just grab with pliers as dean suggested and bend slightly towards the inside
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

No haven't tried that with the Honda yet but did do this to an old Rover that had the same problem and it didn't really help. I'm wondering if it is just a common issue with these types of catchers and lids...

Form {bend} top of frame so that only the edges rest on the tabs.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG
    No haven't tried that with the Honda yet but did do this to an old Rover that had the same problem and it didn't really help. I'm wondering if it is just a common issue with these types of catchers and lids...
    whenever my catcher drops off and i then walk into it i will grab the trusty metal handled secateurs and beat the tabs in this always seems to fix the problem [ i carry cheap secateurs in my pocket and have better ones in the van for any serious pruning ] bending them using pliers just sounds like a more civilised approach

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast