Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which lawn mower to buy?

Default Re: Which lawn mower to buy?

Quote Originally Posted by Sandgroper
    I brought a 196 the other day,,was told the 197 has more power and is lighter but the 196 is going real well and i am pleased with it,(shop did not have 197)i have a self propelled 216 as well,,what a bunch of crap.

What country do you come from Starmow ?
    From Croatia

A rover with a honda motor motor is not the same as a Honda 196.

As you can see from some of the posts here, problems with wet grass mowing have a lot to do with the size of the catcher opening.

We never had any problem in the wet with our Honda 196 (not that we saw a lot of wet ) but I swear that mower could cut wet custard.
    ~ Joanne ~

Quote Originally Posted by starmow
    From Croatia
    ohhhhhhhh I remember being given a bottle of Kruskovac by a client once.....oh lord. It burned all the way down...I think Nasa use it to power the space shuttle.
    ~ Joanne ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS
    ohhhhhhhh I remember being given a bottle of Kruskovac by a client once.....oh lord. It burned all the way down...I think Nasa use it to power the space shuttle.
    it is very nice drink but after when it hit you..... oh

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS
    and probably all the way out too

I brought a 196 the other day,,was told the 197 has more power and is lighter but the 196 is going real well and i am pleased with it,(shop did not have 197)i have a self propelled 216 as well,,what a bunch of crap.

What country do you come from Starmow ?
    Queensland, just like big kev .
    Sorry, just like mower rob, I could,nt resist .
    Cheers Dean.

starmow what about some raakia, dobro

Quote Originally Posted by Adamandeves
    Queensland, just like big kev .
    Sorry, just like mower rob, I could,nt resist .
    Cheers Dean.
    Well if you search his posts he has a business name and phone number so folks can pass on work to him in Victoria,,every new member is not Kev.

Well if you search his posts he has a business name and phone number so folks can pass on work to him in Victoria,,every new member is not Kev.
    And it was his birthday yesterday . Happy birthday for yesterday

Very Helpful Member

the 197 is definitely lighter and while it's supposed to be a more powerful engine the only differences that i notice is that the 196 feels more solid and is quite a bit heavier i think both have about the same fuel efficiency [which is crap compared to the old 195] but the 196 has a bigger fuel tank
    having said that i buy the 197's now as i'm getting to old and fragile to be pushing an extra 3.1kg and while the motor may not last as long [ currently have one on it's second body so it still lasts ok ] the expected life is at least 3 years which equals a cost of less than $1 per day to help earn over $300 per day i think we should be quite happy with those figures
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Pushies are great - lighter, less to go wrong, less hassles.
    But where I operate, flat ground is a luxury few have, most places are billygoat mountain.
    Knowing my dad worked hard all his life and had knee replacements at 60 and hip replacement at 70, I figured self drives were the best/only way to go.
    So it depends,the best mower needs to fit what you plan to do with it, and you need to look after yourself as well.
    The money you save on a cheap mower is false economy in the long run.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

A good all round mower is Honda 196. Only buy second hand if you can find a Honda 195 on ebay. They are much better than the 196. I Have a Bushranger but at $1100 a little over your buget but well worth it. And just brought a Proscape 3 in 1 because the Bushie wont mulch. I payed $800 from cranbourne mowers. I am happy with it's mulching ability, I have a few customers who dont like me mulching their lawn but only know the difference when they see me mowing without a catcher on. The proscape can have the mulch plug in and the catcher hanging on the back so it looks like I'm catching wgen I'm not. The side throw shute is great but will only catch dry grass that isn't too long. So wouldn't have one as my only mower.

Cheers Rick

As you can see everyone has diffrent prefrence to mowers..Its a very important decision to make and can be a big investment as far as mowers go..

Buy the best you can afford as it can make you or break you with mechanical brakedowns or poor performance.As a professional lawnie your equipment is your livelyhood and I do not reccomend e-bay.Get a relationship going with a respectable mower shop and you will be glad you did as they will give you prefrence over the average joe when it comes to repairs and getting back on the job asap.

The price is soon forgotten when your cheap e-bay/trading post mower is on the garage floor in pieces with no one to turn to.

Quote Originally Posted by lenny
    starmow what about some raakia, dobro
    Yeah, Rakija is very good in the winter time for heat body.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12