Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laying bricks as a border

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

Default Laying bricks as a border

I have a job to do in the next couple of weeks doing a house brick border and laying turf. The bricks will be layed after I'v gone over the area with a rotary hoe. Plan is to lay the bricks with the long face being the one you see. ( side you see when looking at a house )
    Using packing sand as a base then laying bricks side by side so there is a border as wide as the lenght of the brick. (I hope this hasn't become to confusing).

I am going to have to make sure the bricks are not going to move and I'm thinking about cutting them in with a concrete edge like you would for paving.

Does anyone have any other tips ,tricks or advice about the best way do go about this?

Cheers Glenn

Default Re: Laying bricks as a border

Glen,

Instead of using packing sand use dry mix, which is a dry sand cement mix for a base and also use it as gap filler, then light hose the whole area with a very fine spray. The dry mix will set like concrete and then you can do your concrete edge if you want. I do the same thing with my paver's never move then either, costs a little more but is a better finish.

Thanks David

Sounds like it will be a better option as the area is basically untouched since the house was built and is all clay. So don't want the bricks all moving 6 months later

The rotary hoe may make the ground a little soft, so I would probably compact the area where the bricks are going before you use cement just to make sure the ground does not settle later and make them sink.

I agree do not rotary hoe the area. I normally mix up some mortar, ie brickies sand and cement and put it down then lay the bricks on top. Use a straight edge to ensure they are all nice and level. If they are not give them a tap with a rubber mallet. It takes a bit longer but they should never move.

I have attached some during and after photos. I probably use too much mortar but I dont want the pavers to move.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS
    Glen,

Instead of using packing sand use dry mix, which is a dry sand cement mix for a base and also use it as gap filler, then light hose the whole area with a very fine spray. The dry mix will set like concrete and then you can do your concrete edge if you want. I do the same thing with my paver's never move then either, costs a little more but is a better finish.
    Yeah i agree with this sought of idea the time i laid garden bricks i also put some cement inside the bricks and the gaps inbetween so that i was making sure they didnt move.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Tender do u think that sort of a border with bricks which looks ok would a kwik kerb type of border which looks great be around the same cost or doing it your way miles cheaper .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Just thought I should add that the bricks will be hard up against one another and in straight lines. They will be sitting flush with ground level with garden bed on one side and turf on the other. I figured they wouldn't be going anywere if I use a good compact base.

Liking all the tips though guys. Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by 4 Gardens
    I have attached some during and after photos. I probably use too much mortar but I dont want the pavers to move.
    What the hell is that in the yard next door? A straw hut?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCoast Walker
    Nope..Just had 200 cubes of top soil delivered

Senior Member The Local Gardener's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing
    I have a job to do in the next couple of weeks doing a house brick border and laying turf. The bricks will be layed after I'v gone over the area with a rotary hoe. Plan is to lay the bricks with the long face being the one you see. ( side you see when looking at a house )
    Using packing sand as a base then laying bricks side by side so there is a border as wide as the lenght of the brick. (I hope this hasn't become to confusing).

I am going to have to make sure the bricks are not going to move and I'm thinking about cutting them in with a concrete edge like you would for paving.

Does anyone have any other tips ,tricks or advice about the best way do go about this?

Cheers Glenn
    use lilidale toppings, sand moves....

I think it might me netting over some sort of fruit tree???

it IS a straw hut - like a fiji type thing next to their pool so I couldnt see them swimming NAKED. But I can still see them through the fence. ha ha

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by administrator
    Tender do u think that sort of a border with bricks which looks ok would a kwik kerb type of border which looks great be around the same cost or doing it your way miles cheaper .
    I had to dig out a section they had renovations done on there house and the council said they needed to have air flowing underneath so i had to dig out a section about 3.m meters long and it sloped as there house was on a hill starting at about 3cm high to at the end being about 90 cm i think was a while ago so the only option was to put bricks in that case. Did them once for a body corp as a edge for a built up garden. But to answer your question kwik kerb type border much cheaper quicker and easier. Bricks however provided you have a good string line and make them straight and ive seen some dodgy ones in townsville. Look better.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast