Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: When do buy a new mower

Default When do buy a new mower

if the money is there , when do you buy a new mower.
    Is the old mowers running fine bit dented but work well ,when do you replace that mower..ive got some hondas over 6 years old and going great , bushrangers getting on with 3 years under the belt but all are working fine , replaced the wheels , catchers , the odd spring here and there but working ok.
    Do you run it into the ground that it dont work any more or sell or trade for new ones every two years.....i always service mine like clockwork and have never got to a stage where they dont go...but like to get the most time if i can...
    Some contractors i know replace every year and for they earn probably is ok but if you service well and treat with respect they go a long time..I have a honda thats 20 years now and still goes ( brother in law has it )

Default Re: When do buy a new mower

I'll probably be a cheap bugger, if it ain't broke... I'm the same with cars when the hassle is greater than the benefit it's time, otherwise keep up the normal maintenance and give her a belly of fuel when she needs and they are good as gold.

But for now it's a case of when I can afford it cause my old rover died again yesterday and unless I can fix her myself she's going to see a younger prettier model in the shed.

I have always bought a new one before my existing one is useless. I bought a new Honda about 4 years ago when my old one's wheels were like slicks. Never had any dramas with it but thought if the wheels are worn out, other parts of it are probably the same, so I grabbed a new one before it started playing up. Last year I bought a Rover, more so to use on wet grass but it became my main mower as it gave a nicer finish than the Honda. If you can afford to buy a new one before your existing one is dead, do that so you then have a decent backup. Even if it is only 2 years old it has well and truly paid for itself.

My victa 550 looks like death warmed up, still works perfectly. The problem for me is that most mowers are now made in Asia - no longer the quality product that would "keep on keeping on". I'll keep an eye out for an old 550 base in good condition for a rebuild. My other main mower is a Bushranger, hopefully they'll stay proudly Aussie made & owned,.....Victa,Rover now chinese made, Honda engines

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Bushranger only use Japanese motors and well constructed
    decks and frames, that will last for years to come.but not aussie

Always have a new or almost new mower in the shed in case of a breakdown.
    Usually you get to a point where the deck, motor and gearbox are pretty well at the end of thier run, and it's not worth the cost of repair/parts.
    Some blokes like to keep a mower 2 years and sell it for $400 - $500 to a domestic owner or new starter while it is still in reasonable condition.
    "Can't" is a dirty 4 letter word.
    If someone says "Can't" , take the "T" off the end and brew it.
    Sip on a mugfull, relax, and take a look at what you've got left to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by geoff
    Bushranger only use Japanese motors and well constructed
    decks and frames, that will last for years to come.but not aussie
    Actually, they are Aussie - they are PLP (Roy Grispe)'s own range. I think they use NZ made decks (Steelite?). Proscape are also an Aussie company.

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye
    Actually, they are Aussie - they are PLP (Roy Grispe)'s own range. I think they use NZ made decks (Steelite?). Proscape are also an Aussie company.
    yes as aussie as most things these days nz decks, japanese engines all the other things are probably also imported but they are still aussie i remember reading once the i think it was aus buy guide recommended buying from two cookware companies as they were aussie companies , both imported there products another company that actually made there's in australia was not recommended because they were foreign owned
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

When our back-up push mower gets to look a bit daggy, I buy a new one, so our other one becomes the back-up, and the oldest one is pensioned off.
    With our ride on mower, we just keep getting it rerpaired and buying replacement parts here and there - my John Deere has done 1000+ hours and is still working hard
    Ciao for now ~ Christine
    senior partner ~ Townsville Lawn Care
    http://townsvillelawncare.webs.com

My biggest regret was not getting rid of the Honda 216 before holes started to come through the deck and the self propelled stopped propelling etc.

If i had my time again i would sell it for $500 or whatever,i left it to late and its basicly worthless now,i will fix it up later for a spare.

I use mine till the deck has holes, the handles are busted, the motor smokey ,the catcher has holes, the gear box totaly rooted and the wheels are wobbly..then strip it for anything left for parts..I`am always satisfied that i got my $$ worth..
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....