Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unbiased Equipment Review Thread – Add your review!

Thumbs up Unbiased Equipment Review Thread – Add your review!

Stihl Blower BG 86C $440

Rating 5 stars

We recently purchased the Stihl blower and are very impressed. On paper we could not find anything else comparable in power / weight / air volume / vibration levels. All brand loyalty aside it’s hard to fault. When using in the real world things that you just wouldn’t know until you try it are evident: perfect balance, super easy starting, very quiet, effortless power, and low vibrations.

Throttle cruise control and stop switch are integrated so you can turn it off with one hand easily, and then the stop switch springs back to the on position so you don’t need to change it when you start it next.

Easy to fill and well designed fuel tank / lid – low consumption

Sounds like it’s not that powerful but it is

The suction area is on the right side so all right-handers won’t have it sucking their clothes in.

If there is one reason why you should try it then that would have to be comfort in using it. The balance (feels like its floating in your hands) and low vibrations make it a pleasure to use and nothing else comes close. (will not “walk” away when sitting on ground) Vibration levels are 1.7 m/s2, the next lowest competitor is the Honda with 7 m/s2 ! (many others are over 10!) The whole engine is separated from the handle with rubber mounts like a chainsaw. At the end of the day I’m sure all good quality blowers do the job but in my opinion its worth getting the Stihl for comfort, after all we are using it every day.

Cons: can’t think of any unless you don’t like orange... If you don’t then paint it another colour!

I’ll add reviews of other equipment when I get a chance... Feel free to add your own, should be a good reference!

Default Re: Unbiased Equipment Review Thread – Add your review!

Ditto Stihl Blowers
    BR 600 Magnum
    RRP $999.00

I had some regular jobs a while back that required a very large blower, large areas both paved and grass, lots of decidous trees and litter. I was recovering from shoulder surgery at the time and was wary about the effects of prolonged use of a hand held blower, so choosing a backpack unit made good sense to me.

After researching all the large blowers the Stihl stood out as having the most air volume and velocity. Stihl seem to be able to get more airflow per horsepower from their blowers than the competition, must have good design in the impeller and housing components.

It's heavy at nearly ten kilos. but the harness is so well designed that you can wear it for hours at a time and hardly notice the weight and you can feel no engine vibration at all through the metal spring antivibe mounts. There is little weight in the operators hand just a plastic tube and pistol grip, no vibration travels though the flexible conector to the nozzle tube, this has got to be a lot easier on the wrist, elbow & shoulder. The unit is a little noisy, but if you take into account the amount of air that it's putting through then I would reckon it's quite acceptable. This unit has probably paid for itself in one season with time savings over the hand held 26cc unit I was previously using. It's not good everywhere, just to blow down a someones drive after lawn mowing it's easier just to pick up a small hand held unit, but for big areas with lots of leaves/ litter it's hard to beat.

Pros, Awesome power, no discernible vibration, starts first pull, very comfortable to wear, good quality construction / should last for ages, imho. easier on the body than prolonged use of a hand held blower.

Cons, a little noisy, have to take it off to restart it if you stop it to take a phone call etc., not handy for small jobs /overkill for most situations, more awkward to store and transport than a hand held.

Cheap 10/12” chainsaws

If you look at all the pictures you will notice they are all the same saw diff brand!

We bought the Laoda one off ebay for $90. For the price you cannot go wrong. We usually like to purchase commercial quality equipment but for a chainsaw we couldn’t justify a massive outlay as we don’t use them as often. We also have a stihl kombi with pole saw and a couple of bigger cheaper ebay chainsaws as well so we don’t have to rely on it as much as a mower / trimmer etc.

Unit came with 2 chains plus usual tools / bar cover. Starts very easily and very handy to have. The unit does have a bit of a cheap plastic feel but if you are careful with it I’m sure it will last a fairly long time. You can thrash it without worrying too much because of the cost though! Only issue I found was it cut out a few times when idling however a quick adjustment of the idle screw and this was fixed. Also chain oil adjustment screw needed to be turned up for oil to lubricate the chain/bar. Interesting to note the manual recommends husqvarna oil so maybe affiliated?

Pros: easy to start, compact, 2 chains, price, primer bulb for quick starts.

Cons: vibrations, cheap construction, fair bit of noise pollution/fumes for such a small engine
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Equipment Review Thread – Add your review!

Stihl Kombi System

We bought the Stihl Kombi system and highly recommend it. We have the KM130 model which is the 36.3cc 4mix engine (4 stroke with mixture lubrication) with 1.4kw (1.9HP) of power. The unit is very easy to start, first pull from cold without choke as long as you prime and use the throttle lock. I found that the choke is only necessary if under 10-15 degrees. The throttle response and power is excellent and can go hard all day long without any issues at all. Well designed fuel cap is easy to use and full tank lasts approx 1 hour. It is fairly loud but sounds smoother than a 2 stroke. Attachments are easy to change – just push in and tighten knob.

Trimmer Attachment:
    We use this as our main trimmer. May be a little heavy for some (probably a touch heavier due to coupling than the FS130 which is listed at 5.6kg) but makes up for that with HEAPS of power! Can easily take a blade / slash blocks / jungles even take out massive plants & fence palings if you’re not careful! It is a beast and overgrown jungles feel like manicured lawns! We changed the head to a speed feed once the original spool wore out. Speed feed is excellent but the original is better balanced I believe as has less vibrations going up the shaft. Original also lighter and quieter but obviously takes a little longer to load. Either way you go they are both good. Keep it greased and should last forever.

Hedge Trimmer Attachment:
    Great tool, excellent build quality. Razor sharp. Even found myself trimming branches I probably shouldn’t have as it slices through anything. Only thing is can get quiet heavy if you are doing a big job. Has been used heaps of times and shows no signs of getting blunt.

Pole Pruner Attachment:
    Another great attachment, saves using a ladder most of the time. Solid construction and can cut surprisingly big branches. Just make sure you clean it after use to avoid clogging up sprocket area otherwise oil won’t get to the bar properly.

Carbon Fibre Extension:
    Saves using a ladder on almost all jobs. Pole itself is lightweight but using it can get quiet heavy and tiring holding something that long above your shoulders! Still highly recommended though as most jobs are completed quickly and easily.

Pros: Easy start, Enormous power, Quality construction should last years
    Cons: Can get heavy using above shoulder height or as a trimmer.

Definitely recommended, we like it so much we bought another power head and trimmer attachment. Only issues: carbon fibre extension vibrated but this was replaced under warranty and once I over tightened the attachment coupling and cross threaded the nut – 5 cents for a new nut and all good, just keep coupling clean and you won’t have an issue.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Cheap 10/12” chainsaws

If you look at all the pictures you will notice they are all the same saw diff brand!

We bought the Laoda one off ebay for $90. For the price you cannot go wrong. We usually like to purchase commercial quality equipment but for a chainsaw we couldn’t justify a massive outlay as we don’t use them as often. We also have a stihl kombi with pole saw and a couple of bigger cheaper ebay chainsaws as well so we don’t have to rely on it as much as a mower / trimmer etc.

Unit came with 2 chains plus usual tools / bar cover. Starts very easily and very handy to have. The unit does have a bit of a cheap plastic feel but if you are careful with it I’m sure it will last a fairly long time. You can thrash it without worrying too much because of the cost though! Only issue I found was it cut out a few times when idling however a quick adjustment of the idle screw and this was fixed. Also chain oil adjustment screw needed to be turned up for oil to lubricate the chain/bar. Interesting to note the manual recommends husqvarna oil so maybe affiliated?

Cons: vibrations, cheap construction, fair bit of noise pollution/fumes for such a small engine
    I've got the one on the left, been through two chains, probably my own fault not stopping and checking them during use. Both flung off and chewed out at full revs, didn't damage machine. Have cut up logs bigger than I am with it and prunes branches etc great little cheap tool. Leaks the bar oil a fair bit while not in use, mower shop guy told me to loosen the cap when not in use and leave as little oil as possible in her, so doing that as of this week.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    I've got the one on the left, been through two chains, probably my own fault not stopping and checking them during use. Both flung off and chewed out at full revs, didn't damage machine. Have cut up logs bigger than I am with it and prunes branches etc great little cheap tool. Leaks the bar oil a fair bit while not in use, mower shop guy told me to loosen the cap when not in use and leave as little oil as possible in her, so doing that as of this week.
    must admit the first chain I used flung off because of the stretch of a new chain but I switched it off in time. haven't noticed the oil leak but you just reminded me that the oil cap is a pain to undo as it was so tight so gotta remember not to over-tighten!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    Cheap 10/12” chainsaws

Yer, we,ve a few of these, excellent value 4 money.
    Payed $99 at Bunnings 4 the GMC, then $135 for the Ozito at Bunnings.
    Ours have done heaps of work, are a great little saw 4 the right application, but basically are a throw away item.
    I hate the throw away mentality, but in this(& other) case its inefficient to go the other way.
    At least we get to clog up our sheds with parts.
    Watch out 4 the choke button, its very vunerable to breakage, we,ve done a couple but with a little wire its an easy fix.
    Cheers Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamandeves View Post
    Yer, we,ve a few of these, excellent value 4 money.
    Payed $99 at Bunnings 4 the GMC, then $135 for the Ozito at Bunnings.
    Ours have done heaps of work, are a great little saw 4 the right application, but basically are a throw away item.
    I hate the throw away mentality, but in this(& other) case its inefficient to go the other way.
    At least we get to clog up our sheds with parts.
    Watch out 4 the choke button, its very vunerable to breakage, we,ve done a couple but with a little wire its an easy fix.
    Cheers Dean.
    Pulling them out or knocking them? Mine retracts when you touch the throttle.

I got one of the Baum AGR ones off EBay. It was a steal at $56. Cost me more in freight.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I got one of the Baum AGR ones off EBay. It was a steal at $56. Cost me more in freight.
    How do you like it Bluey and did you manage to adjust it before the chain that came with it stretched?

Mate it is a little ripper. Like everyone else it spits out chain lube when left idle but I stopped that by laying on it's side. It starts brilliantly better than my Stihl. Bit noisy but what saw isn't. I saw the blade coming loose and tightened it up so no probs there. I always check them for being loose anyway.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    They are gravity fed chain oil so even when there off there still oiling , store so that the chain side faces up,oil plug down on its side ..
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-25CC-CHAI...35eb90895#shId
    Anyone got one of these or can recommend a cheapy thats ok just for limbing etc??

Guys, unless you are climbing with it, a rear handled saw is so much better ergonomically and a sh*t load safer. In some countries it is actually illegal to use a top handled saw on the ground, in the UK you have to show that you are a climbing arborist to even buy one. Top handled saws are designed for climbing, in the tree industry they are mostly called a "climbing saw" for that reason.
    There are plenty of cheap rear handle saws on ebay too so don't put yourself at unnessary risk.

Graeme

(quote)http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-25CC-CHAI...35eb90895#shId
    Anyone got one of these or can recommend a cheapy thats ok just for limbing etc??(unquote)

Guys, unless you are climbing with it, a rear handled saw is so much better ergonomically and a sh*t load safer. In some countries it is actually illegal to use a top handled saw on the ground, in the UK you have to show that you are a climbing arborist to even buy one. Top handled saws are designed for climbing, in the tree industry they are mostly called a "climbing saw" for that reason.
    There are plenty of cheap rear handle saws on ebay too so don't put yourself at unnessary risk.

Graeme

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast