Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Petrol Hedge Trimmers

Default Re: Cheap Petrol Hedge Trimmers

Very good point stripes.

Lawnmowing shops repair shops are finding it extremely difficult to stay afloat alot have closed down over the last few years ,small engine mechaincs are very few and far between seems like the new generation dont want to get into the trade dont want to get their hands dirty .

Repairs costing around between 60-80 dollars an hour very hard to justify with the chinese imports introduced ,you can buy chainsaws hedgetrimmers whipper snippers from ebay bunnings etc for the same price .
    You would be shocked at the prices these importers pay if they are selling to you for 90 bucks
    How in the world does the manufacturer build and sell a chainsaw for 29.00 amazing .
    Yes they do make a million at a time or even 3 million maybe more and sell to the rest of the world its mind blowing .

Two of the largest spare parts resellers to the Australian industry in this country shut their doors just after Christmas and had been trading for around 50 years .
    Yes they were Aussie owned .
    And there is more trouble brewing in the outdoor power equipment parts and accessories industry .

Bynorm Spare parts supplier was Aussie owned since early 1900s and is now American owned .

I know people buy walker spares from America and other parts from around the world and they land on your front doorstep 2 weeks later cheaper than the shop around the corner .
    Last edited by administrator; 01-04-2010 at 09:52 AM.

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Senior Member Wombat Garden Services's Avatar

Im always amazed at how much extra outdoor power equipment costs in australia compared to the US, I dont think the local mower shops have huge markups either, somewhere up the supply chain someone is getting rich, for example look at this husky 455 from the US http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Husqvarna...item5ad847aac1 & look at the same item from an australian supplier http://www.newagearbor.com.au/shop/prod709.htm makes you wonder...

[QUOTE=PaulG]ALDI has these on sale tomorrow:

http://www.aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_12694.htm

AGR Machinery on eBay has these Baumr-AG ones:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Precision...item20afe7a49e

I don't have one and I need to get one so I can win a few more jobs and gradually I'll earn enough to afford a better one. I like the look of the AGR unit but it only has 3 months warranty whereas the ALDI unit has 12 months warranty.

The blade will be crap and tear instead of cut and open the plant to disease..I had a Viburnum with this problem and it came down to the crap hedger that was being used...

The warrenty is only domestic not commercial use...Better off with a good second hand machine known brand with a descent blade.

One more tip.. Do not use WD40 on the blade.. Use a lanolin spray.

Hmmmmmmmm, hate doing it but when a replacement pull start costs more than entire machine .
    When i go to the mowing shop only to be told " your a contractor, you only get 3 months warranty" after buying the quality stuff & then get told that it proly isnt worth fixing .
    Its a hard one, thats for sure. Usually if I cant fix it myself its all over
    Cheers Dean.

its hard one isnt it , if you dont have the bikkies to buy a good one then i suppose the options are limited....theres no worse than using a cheap machine that pack up during the job...the cheap hedgies give a crap finish and just tear the folliage in turn killing the hedge because of disease..better saying no till you have the money to buy a good one ...took me many years before i got one and used hand shears..boy the day when used the big stainless steel shindy i was exicited

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG
    I looked at these today when I was in Aldi, opened the box, pulled the plastic off (much to the annoyance of the staff).

Don't even bother. Only good for domestic use and not much more.
    ~ Joanne ~

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs HMS
    I looked at these today when I was in Aldi, opened the box, pulled the plastic off (much to the annoyance of the staff).

Don't even bother. Only good for domestic use and not much more.
    What was the prob????????
    Cheers Dean.

Quote Originally Posted by Adamandeves
    What was the prob????????
    Cheers Dean.
    It had a 'Made in China' sticker on it

The blades....they looked flimsy and the cutting edges are about as sharp as a butter knife.
    ~ Joanne ~

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stripes
    It had a 'Made in China' sticker on it
    off topic but this just reminded me one of my sons mates he had made in Australia tattooed on his arm, his parents are asian
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

I bought a chinese made hedge trimmer about three years ago..I think it cost about $350...the only problem I've had with it is the fuel cap splitting..this seems to be problem with the chinese stuff as I've had similar problems with other chinese made stuff. For my daily work I use Honda mowers, Echo snipper, Stihl blower, Husky chainsaw. For work that I only do occasionaly I have purchased chinese made stuff, such as the hedger, Most recent purchase was a multi tool hedger and chainsaw. Had a few problems with the screws,,,it just wasn't put together tightly...the fuel cap never worked from day one and eventually split. Apart from that they all work fine. I run them all on 50:1 fuel mix, they don't seem to mind not having 25:1. I still reckon half the problem with machinery is the user...some people should never be let near machines... I can run a mower all week, and then give it to one of my workers and it will come back with problems.

Couldn't agree more. The poor man always pays twice.

As it turns out I wasn't fast enough to get in to Aldi to check these out. We have two Aldi stores here and another 30 minutes away in Gatton and by mid afternoon when I did get a spare 15 minutes to get to one of my locals they were already sold out - it turns out all three store were sold out. I guess a lot of Mums and Dads thought these were go value

More than likely they only had ten per store .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Good marketing....Sold out = curiosity
    On the next sale more product = more curiosity = more customers = more sales.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast