Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Petrol Hedge Trimmers

Default Re: Cheap Petrol Hedge Trimmers

Quote Originally Posted by ian
    off topic but this just reminded me one of my sons mates he had made in Australia tattooed on his arm, his parents are asian
    Made in Australia using imported ingredients.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG
    As it turns out I wasn't fast enough to get in to Aldi to check these out. We have two Aldi stores here and another 30 minutes away in Gatton and by mid afternoon when I did get a spare 15 minutes to get to one of my locals they were already sold out - it turns out all three store were sold out. I guess a lot of Mums and Dads thought these were go value
    Blessing in disguise..Trust me dont buy crap..

Managed to pick up a Sanli 600mm hedge trimmer. Sold by Noble Park Mowers (Sydney I think?) through their eBay store. Yes it's made in China but at least Sanli has service agents around the country if I need some work done on it.

Should arrive here early next week. Looking forward to testing it on some hedging here at home to see how it goes.

Rec retail $299 - Ebay price $197.50 inc delivery.

Paul check the gap between the blades before you use it, see if you can slide a 10thou feeler gauge between them if it is really sloppy tighten the bolts up until you feel some resistance on the feeler gauge then do the next bolt. It will cut so much better with a minimal gap.

Thanks for the tip David. Will remember to check this out when it arrives!

Very Helpful Member

paul noble park mower power is in noble park a suburb of melbourne
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Cheers Ian. Thought it was either Sydney or Melbourne!
    Gotta say Matthew from there has been really helpful. I had a slight cash flow problem here in the last ten days after my Mrs wrote off our car in what was actually a minor accident but Matthew has been understanding of the fact I couldn't pay straight after winning the item on eBay.

PaulG i have the sanli hedge trimmer, so far so good. I dont do a lot of hedge trimming work though. I have used it mainly on lilli pilli hedges and it has done a good job.

Just an update re the performance of the Sanli trimmer I bought earlier in the year.

Nil work with it through Winter but have used it two or three times now around my own garden since the start of Spring, less than two hours work at most, and it is just woeful.

Ergonomically it's a pain to use. The vibration damping mechanism is so soft it is like trying to use a long rubber band. And the handle is very hard to tighten sufficiently to stop it spinning while being used. This all takes a lot more effort to force through what I'm cutting than something built more solidly. (Although to be honest the only other petrol trimmer I've used to compare with is a top of the line Stihl 110 that belongs to a friend that I occasionally sub-contract for.)

The wiring is badly placed and catches on everything and pulls apart.

It is the smelliest and smokiest two stroke implement I've used. Even running at 50:1 on Shindaiwa oil, the fumes nearly make me vomit and the oil dripping from the air filter and exhaust are a joke.

The jobs I have used it on have been fairly tough and woody which is obviously not at all what this unit is designed for. The openings in the blade are too small to catch anything much bigger than pencil sized growth. At best it should be used only to trim very fine growth.

Today the the trigger and throttle cable fell apart and despite me putting it back together and it looking like it should work it doesn't.

Maybe I expected too much from it for what I payed but seriously I did expect a little more than I got.

I'm ready to throw it in the bin.

so you'd recommend it then....lol

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    so you'd recommend it then....lol
    from pauls review i would definitely recommend it to any contractors competing with me
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    from pauls review i would definitely recommend it to any contractors competing with me
    Spot on there guys

Dont know why you would waste money on such crap..Although your revew is pretty much what we would expect it seems what you pay for and what you get reigns supreme..Personally I would not allow this type of equipment in my fleet.

My pope is still going well and over 12mths old now, I don't do a lot of hedges, but haven't had any dramas with it each time I've pulled it out. Touch wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    My pope is still going well and over 12mths old now, I don't do a lot of hedges, but haven't had any dramas with it each time I've pulled it out. Touch wood.
    If its as reliable as my pope garden hose than you will not be let down for years to come.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast