Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cheap Petrol Hedge Trimmers

Default Re: Cheap Petrol Hedge Trimmers

We are in the market for a new hedge trimmer, currently have the km130 with the hedge trimmer attachment and would like a hand held one. Stihl have 3 pro models , which one would be suitable taking into consideration we already have the pole hedger? they have different blade speeds and one has a single sided blade? thanks, Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris B View Post
    We are in the market for a new hedge trimmer, currently have the km130 with the hedge trimmer attachment and would like a hand held one. Stihl have 3 pro models , which one would be suitable taking into consideration we already have the pole hedger? they have different blade speeds and one has a single sided blade? thanks, Chris

I have the HS81T or R cant remember but the one with the 750mm blade, great unit but I still prefer using the pole attachment. I seem to be able to do a better job when I stand back with the pole unit. Either way if its Stihl its good.
    South Coast Mowing & Gardening Services
    www.southcoastmowing.com

Thanks SCW, seems like the 81 R which has the 750mm blade runs at 3000rpm and the 81 T has a 600mm blade running at 5000 rpm... they say the 3000rpm is good for heavy cutting and the 5000rpm good for fine trimming... I'm assuming the pole unit is a lower speed for heavy cutting... so would it make sense to get the higher revving model???

We have a few largish jobs coming up with low box hedges so I thought I would start researching now.

dunno if that makes any sense or not?! already pretty sold on Stihl's, everything else we have from them is excellent but always open to suggestions!

they def arnt cheap though approx 1k rrp... more expensive than a pole hedger!?

Yeah that makes sense Chris, my pole unit is the multi tool hedger fitted to a FS110 4mix or it also goes on my HT101 pole saw.
    South Coast Mowing & Gardening Services
    www.southcoastmowing.com

I have the KM90 combo but I do find it gets heavy after a while and the bigger the unit the more weight. I love the pole hedger and if you get one get the extension for it as well. Comes in handy. But you also need a hand held hedger for use from time to time especially in tight spots where the pole hedger has trouble getting to.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I have the KM90 combo but I do find it gets heavy after a while and the bigger the unit the more weight. I love the pole hedger and if you get one get the extension for it as well. Comes in handy. But you also need a hand held hedger for use from time to time especially in tight spots where the pole hedger has trouble getting to.
    We have the pole hedger and extention as well.. it is great but might be getting a few bigger jobs with long rows of dwarf box hedges which would really need a hand held hedger. Which hand held one do you suggest Bluey?

Quote Originally Posted by SouthCoast Walker View Post
    Yeah that makes sense Chris, my pole unit is the multi tool hedger fitted to a FS110 4mix or it also goes on my HT101 pole saw.
    Gotta love the 4mix...

We have the pole hedger and extention as well.. it is great but might be getting a few bigger jobs with long rows of dwarf box hedges which would really need a hand held hedger. Which hand held one do you suggest Bluey?
    Unless they,re in a very tight situation the pole hedger is still better as there is less bending of the back.
    Cheers Dean.

agreed - I have one client with miles of dwarf & standard box hedges, used to use a hand-held until I got a articulating hedger head for my makita. So much easier on the back and easy to keep a straight line when you're a bit further away

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Well we have one big job coming up with both large hedges and also dwarf box hedges.. as I work with my brother I thought it would make sense if one of us uses the pole hedger for the big stuff and the other uses a handheld for the box hedges??? Do you guys think we are better off just getting another extended hedger attachment then? (we have a second combi to run it off)

We definitely want to get another hedger otherwise one of us will just be watching the other work! just thought it would make sense to get the hand held but now not too sure???!

I bought one of those cordless Randy & Travis hedgers ages ago for $60. (Has anyone bought one of these?)
    Ived used it a few times and so far it goes O.K.
    As long as i recharge the battery once a fortnight, It goes pretty good.
    I dont have much use for it yet. When i do, Ill probably upgrade.

I spoke to the dealer briefly over the phone and he recommends the Stihl hs 45 which is the homeowner model. He said unless we are cutting hedges all day everyday then this model would be perfect. What is everyones thoughts on this?? It is lighter and less expensive but I dont wanna regret going the cheaper option down the track!

Chris I do miles of hedges from little buxus to tall conifers and everything in between. I like most guys have the stihl combi hedge trimmer also the big stihl 81t I think it is it's great but can get heavy I have a couple of echo trimmers which are good. A couple of things to think about when buying a small hedger is a swivel rear handle and also how good the anti vibe is in the handles
    . I think stihl make great hedge trimmers but the small ones don't have a swivel handle. As for the anti vibe you may think it's not important but one of my mates bought a junk one off ebay and I gave him a hand one day. I could not use it for more than 10 minutes and my wrists were sore as.You could suss out tanaka echo shindaiwa and I believe kawasaki are coming soon the look good just remember you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Paisley View Post
    Chris I do miles of hedges from little buxus to tall conifers and everything in between. I like most guys have the stihl combi hedge trimmer also the big stihl 81t I think it is it's great but can get heavy I have a couple of echo trimmers which are good. A couple of things to think about when buying a small hedger is a swivel rear handle and also how good the anti vibe is in the handles
    . I think stihl make great hedge trimmers but the small ones don't have a swivel handle. As for the anti vibe you may think it's not important but one of my mates bought a junk one off ebay and I gave him a hand one day. I could not use it for more than 10 minutes and my wrists were sore as.You could suss out tanaka echo shindaiwa and I believe kawasaki are coming soon the look good just remember you get what you pay for.

Thanks Mark. Yeh anti vibe is important to me too... nothing worse than your hands going numb! Looks like the Stihl 81 T is the favorite atm. How old is your Stihl? The new ones are 5.2kg which is pretty light however there is a tanaka which is 5.0kg flat

Very Helpful Member

Thanks Mark. Yeh anti vibe is important to me too... nothing worse than your hands going numb! Looks like the Stihl 81 T is the favorite atm. How old is your Stihl? The new ones are 5.2kg which is pretty light however there is a tanaka which is 5.0kg flat
    i think thats the one i have the Tanaka THT-210S great hedger and not a bad price
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast