Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw best value for money

Default Re: Chainsaw best value for money

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS
    I use a Stihl chainsaw, but have also used Husky's and Echo's. Echo's are a nice light commercial saw good for pruning and cutting small timber but if you want to cut big hardwood then I would recommend a Stihl over a Husky. All my mates who are loggers use Stihls, they have tried Huskys and ended up back at Stihl's.
    Totally agree,
    Also the best chainsaw for the smaller type workpruning and firewood etc in my experience was a Stihl.
    This was an old 009 model which went for 8 years with no problems except for routine maintenance. Bought 2nd hand too.

Impala 63"s favourite tool brand

Ozitos are throw away tools

Why would a contractor buy cheap rubbish from Bunnings anyway.

Deal with your local mower shop I say .
    Just checked out blade prices from Dean. Fantastic

I couldn't be any happier with my chinese saws; a Baumr 22" chainsaw that has been the best earning buy I've made. Cost about $120 to my door, has cut down trees to 70' high elms, countless willows etc over 2 plus years. Cuts as good as any Euro machine, great balance....
    the other machine is a Raiden long-pole chainsaw,chinese under $200 delivered that has done a mountain of work. Have had to re-build the gearcase (no charge) but otherwise it also has cut branches over 12" repeatedly for over 2 years, owes me nothing. Have recently bought a Makita (Robin) brushie with chainsaw & a hedge-trimmer heads, a little over $1000 for the lot delivered, contractor quality made in Japan

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

I like your style mowon any one who has been in the game longer than 3 years should have the best of the best if not your name is billy bear money,,or on the rock and roll.....

It's a matter of economics 63, I bought the chinese stuff for one off- jobs - they've gone on to make me a lot of money for the initail outlay and they are still going without missing a beat. Most of us probably started out with the basics to start with, maybe after being on the dole, gotta start somewhere.

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Quote Originally Posted by MOWON
    Totally agree,
    Also the best chainsaw for the smaller type workpruning and firewood etc in my experience was a Stihl.
    This was an old 009 model which went for 8 years with no problems except for routine maintenance. Bought 2nd hand too.

Impala 63"s favourite tool brand

Ozitos are throw away tools

Why would a contractor buy cheap rubbish from Bunnings anyway.

Deal with your local mower shop I say .
    Just checked out blade prices from Dean. Fantastic
    Im not all 4 buying cheap machinery , Im not all 4 buying expensive stuff either. I buy what I think suits my needs & what I consider good value 4 money.
    Over more than 30 years I have bought just about every brand on the market, sometimes the top line stuff is great, sometimes not.
    Someone on here once said "there,s nothing worse than buying cheap stuff only to let u down on the job" WRONG, when u buy expensive stuff & that lets u down on the job(it happens) thats frustrating.
    Buying the most expensive gear u can find may be a false economy.
    Buying the cheapest gear u can find may also be a false economy.
    Ever heard of someone buying an expensive lemon???
    Ever bought a bargain???
    Do your homework & buy what u think suits you.
    The little Bunnings ozito jobbie x2 that we puchased has payed 4 themselves many times over. We have many chainsaws up to 76cc & they all have their place.
    Im not saying that the ozito is a great saw ,but it is great value 4 money. Its choke button is weak, but when they fail, we just make our own.
    Cheers Dean.

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adamandeves
    Im not all 4 buying cheap machinery , Im not all 4 buying expensive stuff either. I buy what I think suits my needs & what I consider good value 4 money.
    Over more than 30 years I have bought just about every brand on the market, sometimes the top line stuff is great, sometimes not.
    Someone on here once said "there,s nothing worse than buying cheap stuff only to let u down on the job" WRONG, when u buy expensive stuff & that lets u down on the job(it happens) thats frustrating.
    Buying the most expensive gear u can find may be a false economy.
    Buying the cheapest gear u can find may also be a false economy.
    Ever heard of someone buying an expensive lemon???
    Ever bought a bargain???
    Do your homework & buy what u think suits you.
    The little Bunnings ozito jobbie x2 that we puchased has payed 4 themselves many times over. We have many chainsaws up to 76cc & they all have their place.
    Im not saying that the ozito is a great saw ,but it is great value 4 money. Its choke button is weak, but when they fail, we just make our own.
    Cheers Dean.
    Just looked at this ozito store at bunnings gees its tiny i dont know i looked at it but didnt end up buying it yet. I still going to go have a look at the still guy and then ill decide. the ozito i seen at bunnings had a 12 inch blade do you reckon thats big enough. I dont know a lot about chainsaws in fact i know next to nothing only used a chainsaw twice in my life.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

Quote Originally Posted by Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden
    Just looked at this ozito store at bunnings gees its tiny i dont know i looked at it but didnt end up buying it yet. I still going to go have a look at the still guy and then ill decide. the ozito i seen at bunnings had a 12 inch blade do you reckon thats big enough. I dont know a lot about chainsaws in fact i know next to nothing only used a chainsaw twice in my life.
    Its not a powerfull saw but u stated in your opening post up to 8", the ozito although only 25cc with a sharp chain will eat that up.
    The small saws will have little kick but as they get bigger so does the kick.
    If your seriuous about using saws, do a coarse!
    Cheers Dean.

I picked up one of the cheap chinese saws on ebay a year ago. 62cc engine, 20 inch bar, could fell a 20 foot tree in under 10 seconds. So from that perspective good. And cheap too. I picked it up not sure if I would end up with enough chainsaw work to warrant having one. However, onto the bad. There was an issue to start with - it would rev not by the throttle but by holding it at a certain angle - bar straight up. It went back and they fixed it. But because of the engine size, it was a pig to start. Had to wear gloves to stop from shreding my hand (while pulling the starter cord), it was cheap plastic and the screws would rattle out when using it. It finally gave up the ghost when the starter cord would not recoil. The innards are plastic and it had basically melted so had nothing to recoil into. For the price and to see if I should buy a better one, it was worth it. But not recommended if for anything other than very occassional use.

Very Helpful Member

i would suggest checking with bunnings regarding returning the product for a refund if your not happy with it [ i wouldn't mention that i was a contractor] then maybe next time when you know you will need a chainsaw duck in to bunnings and buy the ozito i think if you find if it is useless and return it straight away bunnings may give you a refund also this saw comes with a 12 month replacement warranty i have one and am happy with it but i rarely use a chainsaw which i gather is the same as you i also have a husky 445 but if i had brought the ozito first for the amount of chainsaw work i do i probably wouldn't have brought the husky .
    i don't usually advise buying cheap products but i think buying an expensive chainsaw to use once or twice a year is a bit like buying a ride on mower to do townhouse lawns with
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

I think horses for courses is my favourite saying tonight.

At home (my dad's) we have husky's and never had to replace them they keep going and going and on the occasion they break down parts and service is easy to get. But there we cut up large paper barks, gums, wattles and each saw could be used on an off half the day. So has to reliable, able and be able to stop and start many times over in a day.

Down here I haven't worked on anything I couldn't cut with a pruning saw so a little light weight (3kg) chainsaw is a time saver and I think even a safer way to work. I like to spend as little time on a ladder as possible so plan my cut, practise my route up and down, then up and make cut and climb back down. Beats standing up a ladder for a few minutes while arm burns out working a hand saw.

Ebay has a chainsaw 52cc 20" bar only $80.....Pinnacle Wholesalers .....They don`t get cheaper than that Bargin..
    ....Nothing like a good whipper....

These well priced imports are ok as long as they have spare parts if they dont then dont buy them .

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Picked up a tanaka 35cc or something off ebay for $150 as a back up for the huskies have not used it yet but very light and strong for the price....Just a rebaged Hitachie
    But if you aint ''STIHL'' you aint real....

Stihl shops have a deal on the MS170 presently. $299 which is the normal sale price for the saw but at the moment they are including the hard orange plastic carry case (RRP$79) and a Stihl cap.

Quote Originally Posted by 63impala View Post
    Picked up a tanaka 35cc or something off ebay for $150 as a back up for the huskies have not used it yet but very light and strong for the price....Just a rebaged Hitachie
    Who are you and what have you done with 63impala?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast