Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lawnmower stolen lock your gear up

Default Re: Lawnmower stolen lock your gear up

Quote Originally Posted by Cranbourne Lawnmowing View Post
    Went out to go to work this morning and found the padlock from my mower compartment sitting on top of the trailer. Nothing gone, but wont be parking the rig out front anymore. The spring loaded levers on my trailer don't get oiled so that if someone does try and open them in the middle of the night it will wake up the whole street. It obviously worked. The dog started barking at something last night, didn't think it would be for that reason. Good Girl.
    Lucky Boy. What you gunna do with your ztr/ride ons?? I am going to get a cheapy gps tracker and try that(if i work out how to set it up) something like this.
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Dedicated Member Cranbourne Lawnmowing's Avatar

I would normally have the trailer in the garage but have been a bit slack. The garage is a mess at the moment. Once I have the ride ons and new trailer it will take pride of place in the garage no matter what. Just running out of room at the moment. I have a rear roller door on my garage but I already have 2 trailers taking up room behind the garage.

Back in my younger days we never lost our keys like people do today,that’s because the keys were always kept in the ignition where they belong.
    Plus we would go out for the day and not lock the house.
    You’d never hear of things being stolen,i guess some of you young fellers will never see or experience what we had.

Default Re: lock your gear up

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    sorry to hear about the mower i always remember the story i heard years ago about a guy who had his mower on the foot path and climbed up a tree he was cutting down he was at the top of the tree when someone pulled up in a ute jumped out and threw his mower in the back and drove off all he could do was watch and yell which did no good.

As far as which mower i tend to think the blade brake would be handy as you don't have to turn the mower off to negotiate steps,edges and those stupid loose stone paths some people put in.
    .....And your blades and deck last so much longer with the blade brake

Jason Forrest
    Fair Dinkum Lawn & Garden Care
    Servicing St Clair, Erskine Park, Colyton, South St Marys
    0407 435 642

fairdinkumlawns.com.au

facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by BeetleJuice View Post
    Back in my younger days we never lost our keys like people do today,that’s because the keys were always kept in the ignition where they belong.
    Plus we would go out for the day and not lock the house.
    You’d never hear of things being stolen,i guess some of you young fellers will never see or experience what we had.
    I still leave the keys in the truck when mowing and haven't lost anything yet, touch wood. Too much a pain in the butt to lock the truck every time.

How would you go leaving the window down and the keys in it overnight??
    I'm referring back to the 60's when humans had respect of others peoples property.

Well I know in 70's we would go on holidays and the back door didn't have a lock, we only pulled the windows to stop rain getting in. Half of them wouldn't close properly because the black soil had shifted the foundations. We would be away for 4 weeks and not worry about a thing.

I don't leave the keys in the truck overnight, but I would never have done that back then either, unless I had to many sherbets and forgot them, but it is just parked in the yard unlocked overnight now.

I remember when I was transferred to Toowoomba, the barmaids used to chase me with my change I'd leave on the bar and go for a chat at the other end. Out home you could leave the change and go up the road to the other pub for a quick chat and it would still be there when you got back.

Reminds of a true story of an old drunk out at Longreach. Never seemed to have any money but still was able to sit in the pub all day Saturday and keep the supply going. My mate was talking to the barman about it and he told him to sit pat next time there was a blue. As you may recall, whenever there was a blue everyone went out the back to watch the proceedings. Well my mate sat pat for the next one and this old bloke did the rounds of the bar and grabbed a couple of bob from each pile of change, never enough to be noticed and took it back and added it to his small pile. kept him in beer all day long those blues.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlandsguy View Post

I remember when I was transferred to Toowoomba, the barmaids used to chase me with my change I'd leave on the bar and go for a chat at the other end. .
    Ahh the good old days when barmaids were barmaids. There could be 20 piles of money around the bar, and the good barmaids would know who owned each pile, who was in each shout, whose turn it was to shout and what the order was.

since reading your horror stories i changed what i do a little,

i unlock the box, take out the blower and the snipper, lock back on, take these 2 into the backyard.

come back out, get the pushie, take that to the back.

finish back yard, including blowing, bring 3 machines out all together, do front yard, gear away,lock up then go talk to the customer for money and go.

i nearly cried this arvo, though, a $30 love job for an old customer, and i took the honda out of the box, went to get the catcher, the mower rolled under the trailer, and smashed the plastic around the gear / throttle levers into about 5 pieces. dang. dont think i can even araldite it back together. gonna cost more than that $30 i bet to fix. sigh.

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    Ahh the good old days when barmaids were barmaids. There could be 20 piles of money around the bar, and the good barmaids would know who owned each pile, who was in each shout, whose turn it was to shout and what the order was.
    Well those days have not gone you just have to find a town where it happens. I spent the last 2 day in Mt Gambier and last night at the RSL Megs the barmaid did exactly that. She looked after me very well. Her and I have become firm friends since I go down there a fair bit. The old way is alive and well in the country.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

I can speak from experience in having your gear knocked off. I leaves a sick feeling in your gut. The bastards are so quick. I am paranoid about locking things up now days. Sad but that is what you have to do I am afraid. Too many losers and druggies around nowdays. Time to move back country.
    Cheers

Bluey

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

I'm paranoid here in a village of 200 people Bluey, lock up everything - I use Masterlock Python motorbike locks.....its a whole different world these days

Quote Originally Posted by edbeek View Post
    javascript://

And they would have been kicked out of the barmaids union if they served up the glass of froth some of these children behind the bar give you these days. And to make things worse they don't understand sarcasm. I received a beer a few weeks ago that had a monstrous head on it, looked like an ice cream. I asked the girl if it came with chocolate topping and nuts and she was looking for them. Ah the younger generation, is there any hope for them?

Quote Originally Posted by Redlandsguy View Post
    Reminds of a true story of an old drunk out at Longreach. Never seemed to have any money but still was able to sit in the pub all day Saturday and keep the supply going. My mate was talking to the barman about it and he told him to sit pat next time there was a blue. As you may recall, whenever there was a blue everyone went out the back to watch the proceedings. Well my mate sat pat for the next one and this old bloke did the rounds of the bar and grabbed a couple of bob from each pile of change, never enough to be noticed and took it back and added it to his small pile. kept him in beer all day long those blues.
    My old man used to tell a story about when he was at Pilliga in NSW just after the war. Apparently the publican had this old white cockatoo that that was a bit of a soak. He used to have a thimble on a chain around his neck and he would go up to you and hold the thimble out for a bit of a tipple. He used to get blotto and pass out on the bar. But he also used to nick the blokes change and run back and put it in the till and yell out F*** ya. That story made me laugh as a kid. I could see this sozzled cocky doing it.
    Cheers

Bluey

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    My old man used to tell a story about when he was at Pilliga in NSW just after the war. Apparently the publican had this old white cockatoo that that was a bit of a soak. He used to have a thimble on a chain around his neck and he would go up to you and hold the thimble out for a bit of a tipple. He used to get blotto and pass out on the bar. But he also used to nick the blokes change and run back and put it in the till and yell out F*** ya. That story made me laugh as a kid. I could see this sozzled cocky doing it.

classic Bluey!
    "Time trial. Start as fast as possible, finish as fast as possible and hope it is fast enough,"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast