Thread: Lawn mowing service vouchers

Default Lawn mowing service vouchers

http://www.townsville.qld.gov.au/ser...ervices/mowing

Lawn Mowing Service
    Who is eligible?
    How do I use the vouchers?
    Your rights and responsibilities
    Water saving and lawn care tips

There have been some changes to the lawn mowing system. Council has introduced a voucher system for the mowing of lawns, which can be used across the year. The new process will consist of a voucher system, where the customer is given 15 vouchers per year, instead of the previous 10 mows each year at approximately five week intervals. This voucher system will give you greater flexibility and choice about who mows your lawn and when they do it.

Each voucher is worth $20. Council have arranged a discounted price with our list of preferred contractors.
    The purpose of the Lawn Mowing Service is to assist with the basic maintenance of yards. This is not a beautification service.
    This service is restricted to residents who are considered eligible under the Home Assist Secure and Home & Community Care Programs. This includes frail and elderly people and people with disabilities.
    The Lawn Mowing Service aims to give the best possible service to its clients, according to their needs and in light of available resources.
    Who is eligible?People who have a moderate to severe disability (of any age) or who are frail and elderly.

To receive the Lawn Mowing Service, a person must be:

In receipt of a full Commonwealth Government pension, and
    Have no alternative forms of assistance such as family, friends or other government programs e.g. Veteran Affairs, CACP Packages, etc.

How do I use the vouchers?Eligible candidates can choose to use more than one voucher, or one voucher and pay the difference per mow. If the eligible candidate chooses to use more than one voucher to cover a mow, they will not receive any change from the contractor.

Under the voucher system, you will:

Have the opportunity to schedule your mowing service at a time that suits you.
    Be able to choose the lawn mowing contractor from a list supplied by Home Services that you prefer.
    Have the option to change mowing contractors as you feel necessary.
    Be able to book the mowing service directly with the preferred contractors instead of through Home Services staff.
    Can someone help me work out how often I should have my lawn mowed?
    Yes. A staff member from Townsville City Council's Home Services Program will be available to help you plan a lawn mowing schedule on your request. A calendar is also included, which gives you a suggested schedule that you can adapt to suit your needs.

What happens if i need more help because I have a disability or other needs?
    You don't have to do this on your own. If you need more help, Home Services staff will be more than happy to assist you to negotiate with contractors and help to organise a lawn mowing schedule that suits you.

What if I can't afford the balance?
    If you are finding it difficult to afford the cost of the lawn mowing service, please contact the staff at Home Services and they will be able to help you plan ahead and budget for the service.

How do I know which contractor to use?
    The choice is yours. Along with your vouchers, you will receive a list of pre-approved lawn mowing contractors and the prices they charge for a service. You can then choose the contractor that you prefer and when you need the service. If you need assistance to choose the contractor, please contact the Home Services staff.

What work will the contractor do?
    The service provides lawn mowing only. If you need additional work done such as weeding or removal of garden waste this will be an extra charge and you will need to negotiate this with the contractor.

What do I do if I'm not satisfied with the work being done?
    If you have any concerns about the way your contractor has done the work and aren't able to resolve it directly with them please contact the Home Services staff. They will help you with any issues that may arise.

Your rights and responsibilitiesYour Rights include:
    You will receive clear information about what the service can do for you.
    You will be respected and treated honestly in a courteous way.
    Information will be kept confidential and private.
    You have the right to have your say about the services you receive.
    You have the right to make a formal complaint if necessary and receive an answer which is confidential and private.
    Your Responsibilities include:
    You are required to treat contractors and Council staff with courtesy and respect.

Water saving and lawn care tipsHome Services has compiled this informative guide to efficient watering practices and lawn care.

Don't over water your lawn. As a general rule, lawns only need watering every 5-7 days in the summer and every 10-14 days in the winter. Good rain elimates the need for watering for as long as two weeks.
    Water lawns early morning or late evening when temperatures and wind speed are the lowest. This reduces water loss from evaporation.
    Don't water your street, driveway or sidewalk.
    Position your sprinklers so thar your water lands on the lawns and shrubs…not the paved areas.
    Install sprinklers that are water-efficient for each use. Micro drip irrigation and soaker hoses are examples of water efficient methods of irrigation.
    Water the roots, not the leaves.
    Water in short, repeated intervals for best absorption, especially on slopes or compacted soils.
    Raise the lawn mower blade to at least three inches. A lawn cut high encourages grass to grow deeper, shades the root system and holds soil moisture better than a closely clipped lawn.
    Avoid over-fertilising your lawn. The application of fertilisers increases the need for water. Apply fertilisers that contain slow release, water insoluble form of nitrogen.
    Aerate your lawn with a corer or fork, so any water will go to the roots of the grass and not run off.
    Minimise grass areas in your yard. Replace grass with water resistant landscaping.
    Plant native and/or drought tolerant grasses, ground covers, shrubs and trees.
    For more information, contact Home Services on 4727 9000.

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Default Re: Lawn mowing service vouchers

Yeah it is a scam set up by our local council. There "approved" contractors dont want to do half the people that have vouchers and they charge top dollar. New vouchers come out i lose customers for a little while they run out of vouchers they ring me back. I tried taking some of the vouchers to the council as i have several customers that get them as i mentioned above. Council will not acknowledge there vouchers i even said to them i dont want cash take it off my rates. One lady she has heaps of the vouchers she throws them away there "approved" contractors say its not worth there time to come there the grass she has is a nature strip with a footpath in the middle i just run the snipper over it as either side is not even as wide as the 216.
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

It's a free council service for eligible people, and works on a voucher system like dump vouchers - if you don't use them by a certain date, you lose them, but it's worth $300 a year in savings, so is a real help for these people financially.
    We went through the tender process last year and are one of their current approved contractors. Some people pay in vouchers, some cash, some a combination of both. We haven't knocked back a job yet and charge them out at $50/hr, which is less than for most other jobs these days...a kind of unofficial "pensioner" rate.
    Most customers are really nice people and yes some yards are a bit fiddly with all the extra trees and garden beds etc to contend with, but it brings in 100s if dollars a month, so we've found it's well worth the effort.
    Ciao for now ~ Christine
    senior partner ~ Townsville Lawn Care
    http://townsvillelawncare.webs.com

Quote Originally Posted by Christine Wharton View Post
    It's a free council service for eligible people, and works on a voucher system like dump vouchers - if you don't use them by a certain date, you lose them, but it's worth $300 a year in savings, so is a real help for these people financially.
    We went through the tender process last year and are one of their current approved contractors. Some people pay in vouchers, some cash, some a combination of both. We haven't knocked back a job yet and charge them out at $50/hr, which is less than for most other jobs these days...a kind of unofficial "pensioner" rate.
    Most customers are really nice people and yes some yards are a bit fiddly with all the extra trees and garden beds etc to contend with, but it brings in 100s if dollars a month, so we've found it's well worth the effort.
    They sent me a thing to tender about 6 months back i filled it in but never got it. They where asking price for yads for certain sizes which didnt make sense to me as how can you work out from a size cause if its long grass its worse. I never had a rideon when i did the tender which is probably why i never got it i think.

im in that system;

its always a pita, cos it takes you 10 minutes to come home and write out the invoices like they want you to (requirements etc);

so the $10 voucher disappears pretty quick, in overheads;

i try to give them a good price, even so

ive even gotten a few people onto the system (i volunteer the info) when i can, cos i feel sorry for em,

i believe they are income tested or some such

but another lady told me she rang all the contractors on the list and they wanted 40 or 50 bucks more than i did - so theyre not playing the game as intended.

when youre hard up for work, its welcome, but now my book is full, i will refuse them i think

unfortunately, its always the "im a pensioner, i want stuff for free" attitude.

and i dont owe em that, i try to help a few out, but i cant fill my book with poor pensioners.

if youre new, and need the work, give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden View Post
    They sent me a thing to tender about 6 months back i filled it in but never got it. They where asking price for yads for certain sizes which didnt make sense to me as how can you work out from a size cause if its long grass its worse. I never had a rideon when i did the tender which is probably why i never got it i think.
    Dan
    There were all sorts of things you had to do when you applied for that tender...we know!
    Remember, quotes were not just required for different sized yards, but allowance was also made to quote on those same yards in different conditions as well (i.e. maintenance vs overgrown). I recall that they asked for lawns in maintenance mode to be catch-mowed so this may also have also put you out of contention, if you weren't prepared to do that. Did you mention you don't usually use a catcher?
    Ciao for now ~ Christine

Dan
    There were all sorts of things you had to do when you applied for that tender...we know!
    Remember, quotes were not just required for different sized yards, but allowance was also made to quote on those same yards in different conditions as well (i.e. maintenance vs overgrown). I recall that they asked for lawns in maintenance mode to be catch-mowed so this may also have also put you out of contention, if you weren't prepared to do that. Did you mention you don't usually use a catcher?
    Was a fair while ago so i cant remember what i put on there and ive done about a dozen other tenders since then I did however remeber when it cam in the mail thinking it was silly the way it was set up this much for that many square meters and that much for that many square meters. I have a yard thats 400 square meters been my customer from the second week i started and it takes me ages to do it due to all the trees and plants that you have to snip around yet i have one 800 meters takes me barley any time as its just a quick snip arounf the fence line and around the house no trees nthing in the road. And now i have the dixon even faster still. yet there really isnt anything you could get to speeed up the smaller block. I also remeber they asked for indemity insurance which i didnt have and that could have been a factor as well. I am pretty sure i did quote it at catching prices.

The customer i was refering to when i wrote the original comment back in april 2010 is a tran ***ual named penny have you done its place.

The customer i was refering to when i wrote the original comment back in april 2010 is a tran ***ual named penny have you done its place.
    What's this got to do with the Council tender system?
    Ciao for now ~ Christine

first it didn't let me submit the post, then it doubled up ... not what I intended...
    Last edited by Christine Wharton; 05-02-2012 at 03:20 AM. Reason: duplication
    Ciao for now ~ Christine

What's this got to do with the Council tender system?
    One lady she has heaps of the vouchers she throws them away there "approved" contractors say its not worth there time to come there the grass she has is a nature strip with a footpath in the middle i just run the snipper over it as either side is not even as wide as the 216.
    Cause as you can read it says she has heaps of vouchers and throws them away because all the "approved Contractors" refuse to do her yard.

It was the trans' reference that threw me Dan - now it makes a bit more sense.
    Ciao for now ~ Christine

You guys have a sick fetish!!

I've had to PM Dan to find out more about this lady - I can't recall mowing for her or getting a call from anyone fitting her description since we started the Council voucher work, so ???
    Ciao for now ~ Christine

following on re council voucher mows, they only took on a few contractors last year (to the point I was glad we weren't on the list) as the extra summer workload would have been horrific for them. glad we have won other work via tender that has given us a better spread of work
    Ciao for now ~ Christine