Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safety in the Tree service Industry

Default Safety in the Tree service Industry

Tree Service Contractors Discuss The Importance of Safety and The Different Types of Safety Accessories Available.

Treeloppers/arborist courses

http://www.indmowing.com.au/forum/sh...6004#post46004
    Last edited by administrator; 16-04-2010 at 12:29 PM.

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

Default Re: Safety in the Tree service Industry

Download film clip Why you wear a harness and know what you are doing .

http://www.indmowing.com.au/images/OHSprob.mpg
    Last edited by administrator; 11-11-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Mate of mine fells trees on his days off, did a tall palm ladder and chainsaw, wasn't scarfed adequately and the head of the palm hung on and swung down into his ladder sending him 4m to the driveway beneath...on his head.

The top of his head looked like a baboons arse after he was treated. Lucky boy.

What concerns me esp with the mowing industry is there are some who think that climbing a ladder or climbing freehand & cutting limbs is fine , which may be the case on some , but others it can be a lethal choice , especially those who've had no industry training , i believe anyone in the mowing game should do a chainsaw course to learn the safety aspects & the correct PPE ( personal protective equipment ) before using one !!!
    The tree industry has professional climbers who do lots of training & retraining esp when doing contract work to keep them up to date on safe working methods & new procedures to ensure safety !
    The EWP or (cherry picker ) was invented to do tall trees & fixtures in safety & ease , preventing climbers from taking risks & injuries .
    Ladders & tree work are fraught with danger & although can be used in a safe manner , should be used as a last resort .
    pole or power pruners eliminate the need to climb or gain height , but allow branches to fall on top of you !!! so planning , technique & ppe all come into play .
    Cheers
    1st aid level 2 , ewp over 11m , limits of approach (powerline clearance) , ohs red card , roadside traffic management, chainsaw lvl 1 , woodchipper , fire training lvl 1 Leaves2Lawn Tree & Gardencare PTY LTD 0407569973 [/COLOR]12 inch woodchipper hire , Garden Mulch , Ride on mowing & lawn mowing services , Hedge trimming , Tree removal & Maintenance .

Agreed - a chainsaw is a completely different beast to the mower/trimmer/blower and needs to be handled with much greater respect. In handling a chainsaw it is all too easy to be blase. I been using the chainsaw from time to time for several years now, but only did a two day course this year - that's when I learned to properly handle and maintain, but also how to limb/fell and assess a job correctly before starting - I now turn some jobs down.
    I train my staff how to correctly use other equipment, but forbid them from touching the chainsaw unless they have completed a certified chainsaw course.
    David
    Mr Sparkle Car Spa

Personally i won't use a chainsaw, very dangerous machines and i wouldn't trust myself with one.

Having said that, i did buy one the other month as my full-time worker used to work in the tree lopping industry and is extremely experienced in operating them. Since owning the chainsaw he has done a lot of work with it for us, done additional work for existing clients and managed to charge a premium for the service.

Chainsaw Operation & Safety Courses are available through out Australia

Ranging from 150.00 Upwards Great to have on oboard .Generally no longer than a day .

NSW
    http://www.nmit.vic.edu.au/shortcou...t_rtc2304a.html

Vic
    http://www.shortcourses.vic.gov.au/...19&prv_id=1024c

Western Australia

http://www.astpl.com/chainsaw_operation.html

South Australia

http://www.aftc.net.au/chainsaw.htm

Qld
    http://www.trainingfortrees.com.au/

Some points covered in these courses are

maintenance of chainsaws
    sharpening chains
    operator maintence
    safe working practice (occupational health and safety - OHS )
    use of rope and harness in chainsaw operations
    elevated work platform operations
    tree felling
    de-limbing (removal of branches)
    cross cutting

Pruning trees can be a good profit earner but do it waith care and wisdom but above all safety is a must .

Some other courses you might need if going into the tree industry for your own safety .

NATIONALLY ACCREDITED TRAINING
    RTF2009A : Above Ground Pruning
    RTF3007A : Advanced Tree Felling
    RTF3019A : Advanced Tree Removal - Climber
    RTF3019A : Advanced Tree Removal - EWP
    RTC2017A : Amenity Tree Pruning Techniques
    RTF2005A : Basic Tree Felling
    RTC2016A : Basic Tree Identification
    CPR : Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation
    RTC3031A : Advanced Tree Climbing and Removal
    National EWP Licence : Elevated Work Plaform
    RTC2706A : Herbicide Applicator
    RTC2304A : Operate & Maintain Chainsaws
    RTF1002A, RTF2027A, RTF3702A : Safe Tree Climbing
    RTC2307A : Woodchipper Operations

INDUSTRY RECOGNISED TRAINING
    HTI113 : Hazardous Tree Identification
    HEC115 : Hearing Conservation
    NUE260 : Electrical System Identification and Powerline Clearance Distances
    MAH14 : Manual Handling
    SPOT : Spotter's Course
    21783VIC, 21784VIC : Worksite Traffic Management

EWP STANDS FOR ELEVATED WORK PLATFORMS
    Last edited by administrator; 18-11-2008 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wggc
    What concerns me esp with the mowing industry is there are some who think that climbing a ladder or climbing freehand & cutting limbs is fine , which may be the case on some , but others it can be a lethal choice , especially those who've had no industry training , i believe anyone in the mowing game should do a chainsaw course to learn the safety aspects & the correct PPE ( personal protective equipment ) before using one !!!
    The tree industry has professional climbers who do lots of training & retraining esp when doing contract work to keep them up to date on safe working methods & new procedures to ensure safety !
    The EWP or (cherry picker ) was invented to do tall trees & fixtures in safety & ease , preventing climbers from taking risks & injuries .
    Ladders & tree work are fraught with danger & although can be used in a safe manner , should be used as a last resort .
    pole or power pruners eliminate the need to climb or gain height , but allow branches to fall on top of you !!! so planning , technique & ppe all come into play .
    Cheers
    Well said. I think the chainsaw is probably the single most dangerous piece of equipment we are likely to use. Add it to a situation where you are on a ladder and at height and it can be lethal. I am in awe of the professional tree fellers and how well they do their task. I only use my chainsaw from the ground. If the job requires climbing I will subby it out.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

What concerns me esp with the mowing industry is there are some who think that climbing a ladder or climbing freehand & cutting limbs is fine , which may be the case on some , but others it can be a lethal choice ,

There are laws pertaining to ladders and heights in most parts of Australia .

After reading your post and all the other posts in the tree servicing forums it brought up a question in my mind and it might seem a bit silly but

Should anyone that uses a chainsaw domestic or business have to do a chainsaw course seeing from what ive read here it can be so dangerous .People can go into bunnings and purchase a chainsaw at any age which is a little disturbing and any where else for that matter .Thousands of chainsaws are sold each year in Australia .

The average joe homeowner or general public come under no OH & S criteria what so ever that includes poisons to a certain level ,fortunatly for plumbing electrical gas and such like they cant touch it lol

Some facts about injuries in the Forest industry regarding chainsaws ive used the American stats because they where easier to read than Aus bereau of statistics that i could find

Facts and Figures about Chainsaw Injuries

Refer site http://www.elvex.com/facts08.htm nice pic there also showing the body and where injuries occur

According to the U.S. Consumer Products Safety Commission there were over 28,500 chain saw injuries in 1999. More than 36% were injuries to the legs and knees.
    The average chainsaw injury requires 110 stitches and the average medical cost was $ 5,600.00 in 1989. Data according to The Davis Garvin Agency, an insurance underwriter specializing in loggers insurance. In year 2000 corresponding costs can be estimated to be over $12,000.00.
    Medical costs for chainsaw injuries based on these facts amount to about 350 million dollars per year.
    Workman's compensation costs, based on the assumption that four weeks recovery is required, can be estimated at 125 million dollars annually.
    Loss of production as well as loss of quality of life for the injured can not be adequately quantified, but may in fact represent the single largest cost.
    There are 69,000 professional loggers in the U.S.. The cost of equipping all of them with one pair of chainsaw chaps at approximately $75.00 each would result in a total annual expense of five million dollars.
    There are few situations where safety has a more immediate payback than in the logging industry.
    Last edited by administrator; 20-11-2008 at 08:22 AM.

Injured tree lopper rescued

* Stacey Lobo
    * November 3, 2008

A tree lopper has been airlifted to hospital in a serious condition after he was left hanging from a tree by ropes attached to his chest at a golf club in Melbourne's south-east.

The man was cutting the tree at Beaconhills Country Golf Club in Upper Beaconsfield about 11am this morning when he fell, leaving him dangling more than seven metres from the ground.

- Man dangling from tree
    - More than seven metres off the ground
    - Rescue operation underway
    He is suspected to have badly injured his back and chest in the fall, at Beaconhills Country Golf Club, Country Fire Authority duty officer Arthur Haynes said.

He was slipping in and out of consciousness while suspended off the ground near the Upper Beaconsfield course's 14th hole Mr Haynes said.

Emergency services personnel rescued the man with the aid of a cherry picker.
    He was then airlifted to The Alfred hospital.
    1st aid level 2 , ewp over 11m , limits of approach (powerline clearance) , ohs red card , roadside traffic management, chainsaw lvl 1 , woodchipper , fire training lvl 1 Leaves2Lawn Tree & Gardencare PTY LTD 0407569973 [/COLOR]12 inch woodchipper hire , Garden Mulch , Ride on mowing & lawn mowing services , Hedge trimming , Tree removal & Maintenance .

Tree lopper injured by branch at Cranbourne

Wasnt Cranbourne Mowing close to home though Glenn

Tree lopper injured by branch at Cranbourne
    9 Sep 2009

A fallen tree branch struck a man on the head at Cranbourne this morning.

The 21 year-old man was working as a tree lopper when the accident occurred.

Advanced life support paramedic Jacqui Simon says the impact cracked the man’s helmet.

‘The man was part of a crew involved in lopping a tree, and was struck by a branch that fell about five metres,’ she said.

‘He was knocked to the ground and was briefly unconscious.

‘The man had some neck pain, and had trouble remembering what happened.

‘We fitted a neck brace given the potential for spinal injuries.

‘The man was given oxygen and an ECG monitor was used to check his heart.

‘He was taken to Dandenong Hospital in a stable condition.

‘The fact he was wearing a helmet has certainly reduced the severity of his injuries,’ Ms Simon said.
    Last edited by administrator; 10-04-2010 at 10:26 PM.

crikeys !!!! , this is what i mean about doing the job safely , was there a noted (drop zone ) written on a jsa ( job safety analisis ) sheet ???? was the crew trained enough & were the crew performing the job properly ??? , dropping a branch on someones head in a crew situation should Never Happen !!! but it does when the crew is rushed or not working together to ensure everyone is safe !!!!
    if you dont know which way a branch or tree may fall or there is some doubt , it shouldnt be done till control measures are in place son there is NO doubt left to worry about !!!!!!
    Tree work is dangerous by nature but when it is done with penty of thought &protection , it is as safe as mowing grass !!!!
    if you have doubts , Dont do it !! , get someone in to remove all doubt & get them to explain how they will do it !!!!
    If you are onsite , make sure they have a jsa in order & if you are close to the workzone , make sre you are safe & sign on to a jsa to prove it !!!!

A great link for Treeloppers

http://unionsafe.labor.net.au/offici...eeindustry.pdf

CODE OF PRACTICE
    Code of practice: Amenity tree industry

3. Planning and preparation
    3.1 Nominated competent person
    Before work starts, a competent person should be nominated to plan and control the work.
    A competent person is one who has experience in the work being done. They also have the skills and knowledge needed to:
    · identify any potential hazards
    · assess the risks of injury
    · plan the work so risks are controlled.
    Where appropriate, more than one person on site should have the experience, skills and knowledge to act as the nominated
    competent person.
    3.2 Consultation
    The nominated competent person should consult with the people who will be doing the work (or their representative) about how to
    do the work safely.
    Remember:
    · Plan the work
    · Identify hazards
    · Assess risks
    · Control risks
    · Review control measures
    3.3 Planning
    When planning the work the nominated competent person should consider:
    · the equipment needed to do the work safely, and its availability
    · the experience, fitness and skills needed by the people doing the work
    · the number of people needed to do the work safely, particularly taking account of work site safety in public places
    · the control of pedestrian and vehicular traffic
    · the location of above and below ground services
    · the size of the area to be designated as a safe working zone
    · the involvement of authorities such as WorkCover, local government, electricity, fire, police and the ambulance service.
    3.4 Review
    Safety measures should be reviewed when work is finished, or if conditions change. This is particularly important if a dangerous
    situation occurs, or if someone is injured.
    In many cases a range of control methods must be used to control hazards. This page lists various strategies which should be
    considered. The list is in order of preference. It is known as the hierarchy of hazard controls.
    3.5 Engineering

Quote Originally Posted by administrator
    Download film clip Why you wear a harness and know what you are doing .

http://www.indmowing.com.au/images/OHSprob.mpg
    Its lucky this guy knew what he was doing, if he didnt he would have gone straight down to the ground.
    Cert III Arborist

http://www.theherald.com.au/news/loc...s/1387953.aspx

The report left out a few details from what i can see i believe there was a crew on the ground and they called 000 seconds after they had a problem the report does leave us without a clue as to what did really happen ,

My sincere condolences to the mans family.

Tree lopper's body wedged between branches
    BY TYRON BUTSON
    17 Dec, 2008 08:31 AM
    A TREE lopper died after he became wedged between branches 15 metres above the ground in Maryland last night.

The man's body was left hanging for more than 21/2 hours as emergency services tried several times to retrieve him.

Specialist police rescue officers, firefighters and paramedics were called to Kiara Close after neighbours spotted the man dangling from the tree about 6pm.

It is believed the man became wedged between two branches of a tree in the front yard of a Kiara Close house and was badly injured as he tried to wiggle free. He died in the tree soon after.

Firefighters used ladders to reach the man but were unable to pull him free.

They said the man showed no signs of life and did not respond to them.

Police spent most of the night at the scene and said they were still looking into the accident.

"We're still investigating, but police have established a crime scene and we're now trying to determine exactly how he died up there," a police spokesman said.

He said firefighters and police rescue officers worked together to try to get the man down.

It is unknown if the man was a professional tree lopper or an amateur who had attempted to cut branches from the tree, but he was using climbing gear and a safety harness.

Residents of the Maryland street were shocked by the incident.

"It's crazy, he's just hanging there, it's awful," one man said.

Police had not formally named the man last night.

A report was expected to be prepared for the coroner after further investigation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast