Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: chainsaw sharpening

Very Helpful Member

Default chainsaw sharpening

i thought this looked interesting http:///www.powersharp.com/ and you tube http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-yFaKkkF-U mind you i can't see it being cheap
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Default Re: chainsaw sharpening

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    i thought this looked interesting http:///www.powersharp.com/ and you tube http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=e-yFaKkkF-U mind you i can't see it being cheap
    I never sharpen chains just find they dont last as long so everytime I get the chainsaw out I charge an extra $30 and if im lucky enough to get 5-10 jobs out of that chain lucky me

I have 3 chain saws and I buy 5 chains each at a time

That looks soo pointless and stupid. You have to buy a new bar, new chain AND the sharpener and you can only use that sharpener on that chain. Waste of money imo. A file costs you $20 and takes 5 minutes to sharpen a 20" bar.
    Cert III Arborist

Quote Originally Posted by SunM View Post
    That looks soo pointless and stupid. You have to buy a new bar, new chain AND the sharpener and you can only use that sharpener on that chain. Waste of money imo. A file costs you $20 and takes 5 minutes to sharpen a 20" bar.
    I agree with that one. I have a bench sharpener in the shed and run 3 chains. One on the saw and 2 spare. When you blunt one you sharpen it and it becomes the spare. I would invest in a sharpener Mower Rob as you can easily blunt a chain but it has heaps of use left in it if you sharpen it properly. Plus i have a back up saw.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Glad I don't buy your files SunM, I buy a packet of Sthil files for $18. which is 3 files. I sharpen all my chains after use, I carry 2 spare chains plus one on saw. I have a vise that can be driven into a tree stump or log that holds the blade and you can touch up the chain on site to. Great when I am cutting firewood in the bush saves me walking back to ute to get spare chain.

I rarely buy files myself, $20 includes the file holder as well, can't remember the price I seen on the pack of 3. Sharpening chains yourself is just that much better and cheaper.
    Cert III Arborist

Quote Originally Posted by MowerRob View Post
    I never sharpen chains just find they dont last as long so everytime I get the chainsaw out I charge an extra $30 and if im lucky enough to get 5-10 jobs out of that chain lucky me

I have 3 chain saws and I buy 5 chains each at a time
    I have 4 chain saws. 1 not that reliable the 2nd does not comply with oh&s , 110 cc 48 year old , makes a hell of a noise [ why i have kept it] the other 2 i use . I have allways sharpened my own chains, bout every 4or 5th time they get done by the saw doctor and when the chain comes off to sharpen the bar gets dressed up and cleaned , lack of oil will wear the chain out as well.done the course and have a licence to operate the saw , was worth the $ to do .trick is to touch the chain up before it gets blunt and keep the edge on it .

Quote Originally Posted by fitternturnercook View Post
    I have 4 chain saws. 1 not that reliable the 2nd does not comply with oh&s , 110 cc 48 year old , makes a hell of a noise [ why i have kept it] the other 2 i use . I have allways sharpened my own chains, bout every 4or 5th time they get done by the saw doctor and when the chain comes off to sharpen the bar gets dressed up and cleaned , lack of oil will wear the chain out as well.done the course and have a licence to operate the saw , was worth the $ to do .trick is to touch the chain up before it gets blunt and keep the edge on it .
    Love to see a piccy of the old one if you can post one?

I sharpened by hand for 2-3 years,thinking how great & sharp they were - bought an electric bench sharpener, haven't touched a file since -only way to go. As for chain life, unless you go at them like a 1st year apprentice, bench sharpeners are the only way for me.

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Watched some tutorial type youtubes on sharpening chainsaws dont go there!
    One guy was even filing from the outside of the tooth, in.
    Cheers Dean.

What bench grinder can anyone recommend ?? I assume the quality of grinding wheels also make a difference to the end result.
    Do any of the cheap $50 ebay ones do a reasonable job and what ones are they if you have them.
    I only require it for minimal use but so I can sharpen my spare chains as I hand sharpen chains on the saw usually.

the one I use is on http://www.catchoftheday.com.au/smal...oducts_id=5835
    cheap & it works fine

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Do the electric sharpeners file down the rakers too?

No you have to hand file them with a rakers gauge

Pshaw, the gauge isn't needed, you can do it easily without it.
    Cert III Arborist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast