Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Shindiawa Hedgetrimmers

Default Shindiawa Hedgetrimmers

With the Shindy hedgetrimmers is there a difference in cut quality between the 24 and 30 inch blades? My thinking was the longer blade might be a fraction slower in cutting speed (due to the blade being heavier to move) and might reduce cutting quality as a result. Wont make a huge difference i know but i'm starting to pick up some top end hedging work and any gain in quality will help me keep an edge on the opposition. I know some of you have the shindies and would be interested to see what sized blade you are running and also if you have compared the cut quality to other hedgetrimmers.

Default Re: Shindiawa Hedgetrimmers

Hi Steve,
    we have heaps of shindawa hedge trimmers but they are all multi tool related. We use them on different sized poles. Cutting head speed has very little to do with the quality of cut, its more to do with sharpness & tolerences. I wouldnt worry about the little handheld ones unless u are in very tight situations.
    Cheers Dean.

Steve is what you are trying to say is blade clearnce look up the stihl site 81r and 81t,the 81r is for very over grown hegdes the blade clearince is bigger but the 81t is for trimmimg topires and real fine and dandy jobs witch you are going on about shorter blade clearce for finer work

81r 3000 strokes a minute 750mm bar $1050 {ripping)
    81t 5000 strokes a minute 600mm bar $950 (trimming}

Iam getting the 81r from over seas Held one the other day at my stihl dealer oh baby it felt good...

22.5cc moter as well..

Very Helpful Member

steve if you have a multi tool i would suggest buying the 24" easier to maneuver around small standards also lighter and the multi tool will take care of anything larger and give better reach than the 30"
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Quote Originally Posted by 63impala
    Steve is what you are trying to say is blade clearnce look up the stihl site 81r and 81t,the 81r is for very over grown hegdes the blade clearince is bigger but the 81t is for trimmimg topires and real fine and dandy jobs witch you are going on about shorter blade clearce for finer work

81r 3000 strokes a minute 750mm bar $1050 {ripping)
    81t 5000 strokes a minute 600mm bar $950 (trimming}

Iam getting the 81r from over seas Held one the other day at my stihl dealer oh baby it felt good...
    63impala i hadn't even thought about the blade clearance until now, was meaning that the extra length/weight in blade might slow the speed down a fraction resulting in a less pleasing finish. So for finer trimming work you reckon the 81t is the go. Anyone out there using them?

Quote Originally Posted by Adamandeves
    Hi Steve,
    we have heaps of shindawa hedge trimmers but they are all multi tool related. We use them on different sized poles. Cutting head speed has very little to do with the quality of cut, its more to do with sharpness & tolerences. I wouldnt worry about the little handheld ones unless u are in very tight situations.
    Cheers Dean.
    Hey Dean you using pole trimmers/multi tools for most of your hedging work? I have always used the 24 inch hedge trimmer (not the pole prunning ones). You must find you can get a straight cut with them , each time i've tried to use a pole pruner it always felt weird and like i had less control (you get the hang of it i guess). I do large and small hedges and apart from the odd hedge had always been able to reach where i wanted to trim. Having both would be the best, but storage is starting to become a problem which i guess is where the multi tool comes in. Which model are you running if you dont mind me asking. Have you used the non pole variety?

SS I love stihl and yes the 81t will be good for you go in to your stihl dealer a hold it, it just felles right and 3 way swivel handel....Rember to talk them down in price...

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Steve
    Hey Dean you using pole trimmers/multi tools for most of your hedging work? I have always used the 24 inch hedge trimmer (not the pole prunning ones). You must find you can get a straight cut with them , each time i've tried to use a pole pruner it always felt weird and like i had less control (you get the hang of it i guess). I do large and small hedges and apart from the odd hedge had always been able to reach where i wanted to trim. Having both would be the best, but storage is starting to become a problem which i guess is where the multi tool comes in. Which model are you running if you dont mind me asking. Have you used the non pole variety?
    Hi Steve,
    we trim/reduce heaps of hedges, (see our pics under clippings & shapings) we use mainly the shindawa multi tool with various lenghth poles. You can even get the 8" pole if you want a very short one. We find them to be extremely well balanced & I personally find them way more comfortable to use than a small hedge trimmer. Thats mainly due to your arms being further apart, therefor spreading the load. Also your back remains perfectly straight.
    My favorite aspect of using the longer machines is that you can stand further back allowing you to see more of the big picture.
    Cheers Dean.

Very Helpful Member

Quote Originally Posted by ian
    steve if you have a multi tool i would suggest buying the 24" easier to maneuver around small standards also lighter and the multi tool will take care of anything larger and give better reach than the 30"
    just rereading your post and my answer what i meant was the multi tool is probably the best option for hedges and tall standards but if doing smaller lower standards i would go for the 24" but if your mainly doing hedges get a multi tool well and truly worth the outlay in time saved,quality of work,quantity of work you will be able to do and safety
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

All I here is multitool I am the Topiary king And I will tell you know standerd hedge trimmer for ever thing get on a later all good,I have the stihl 130 with hedger attachment and it dont see as much action as my tanaka hedger {stihl 81r 2weeks}.

There is a $200 price difference between the stihl and the shindi, is the stihl worth the extra money?

I just love stihl had the shindaiwa multi tool but upgraded to stihl witch wayes more than the shiny... Love my shindaiwa c4 back back blower she will blow the chrome of anything.....I think it comes down are you a shiny man or a Stihl man or what ever dealer you have near you I guess....

I think you defintely need a multiple tool and a dedicated hedger. I don't do great amounts of hedges and my stihl multi works great but it gets heavy and when your in tight areas and small dedicated hedger would come in handy. Some of the guys on here reckon the cheapy Pope is ok. For the few times I would use it I might look at it
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Yeah, a Stihl multi tool and a dedicated 24" hedger, is all that is required. I do heaps of hedges and topiary, I even use old hedge shears like shearing shears for some of my topiary. I find the multi tool good but when I have a huge hedging day I usually use my Tanaka 24" hedger, just the extra weight of the multi tool makes it to hard when you are hedging for 6 to 8 hours.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast