Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: Your area your rates

Default Re: Your area your rates

Quoted my first Real Estate bond tidy-up yesterday and to my surprised and pleased that my quote was exactly the same as the only other one they had at that stage which was $350 for what had to be done. I estimated about 4.5 - 5 hours.

It was funny when I gave my price to the woman on the phone from the R.E. mob though; When I said $350 she said "That's the same as the other quote we have already" and then silence as if she expected me to say I would drop my price. So after about 5 seconds of silence I just said well at least I know I'm on the right track with my price then. She muttered something inaudible a couple of times.

Then she said "I'll call you back and let you know."

I just love that line! Why don't they just be honest and say I'm going to get more quotes until I find the cheapest one.

Still haven't heard back.

Quote Originally Posted by TomSizer View Post
    I am telling people a minimum of $40 now on the phone.. saves a lot of unproductive quoting. I'm not quoting out-of-town work anymore, just give a hourly rate and tell them when I can do it. Mostly thats ok, sometimes its the end of the conversation. I don't like losing work but tell myself they wouldn't have been good clients anyway.. and you can burn endless time and fuel quoting..
    Might be going down that same path come the new year..maybe not that high a minimum, but by the time you quote,confirm and do it, it can cost 10$ in fuel and time.
    Cheers.
    MIGHTY MOW Lawn & Garden Services
    Brett Youlten
    Mob: 0415 112 163
    Web: www.mightymow.com.au

Email: info@mightymow.com.au
    Proudly Australian Owned

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post
    Quoted my first Real Estate bond tidy-up yesterday and to my surprised and pleased that my quote was exactly the same as the only other one they had at that stage which was $350 for what had to be done. I estimated about 4.5 - 5 hours.

It was funny when I gave my price to the woman on the phone from the R.E. mob though; When I said $350 she said "That's the same as the other quote we have already" and then silence as if she expected me to say I would drop my price. So after about 5 seconds of silence I just said well at least I know I'm on the right track with my price then. She muttered something inaudible a couple of times.

I just love that line! Why don't they just be honest and say I'm going to get more quotes until I find the cheapest one.

Make it 349.95

Just don't quote over the phone, you can get caught, when you turn up people expect you to do what you said, place might be a jungle. If people want a price over the phone I just say sorry I need to see it and walk it before I can give price, if they say no we need price I say bye and hang up, don't need the headaches. Yes it is time and money to physically quote but it is so much safer than turning up to do job and then telling client that you are not doing for that price. Bad mouthing travels faster than good.

Yep I made sure I went and checked it out first before I rang back. There would have been a few surprises for anyone just quoting without looking.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulG View Post

When they call back assuming you get the job make sure you know who's paying you, I've heard (as you probably have) stories of the RE clerk doing all the organizing without any authority and then a dispute over who's paying the contractor. Just ask and get a clear answer before you begin. And if they say the owner speak to the owner and confirm this just in case. Good luck, might be a test on who they liked more or who's easier to deal with or more professional!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    When they call back assuming you get the job make sure you know who's paying you, I've heard (as you probably have) stories of the RE clerk doing all the organizing without any authority and then a dispute over who's paying the contractor. Just ask and get a clear answer before you begin. And if they say the owner speak to the owner and confirm this just in case. Good luck, might be a test on who they liked more or who's easier to deal with or more professional!
    I always ask them to email me a work order.
    "I'm not alone cause the tv's on yeah,I'm not crazy cause I take the right pills.... everyday" Jimmy Eat World

http://www.dreamlawnsandlandscapes.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andy B View Post
    When they call back assuming you get the job make sure you know who's paying you, I've heard (as you probably have) stories of the RE clerk doing all the organizing without any authority and then a dispute over who's paying the contractor. Just ask and get a clear answer before you begin.
    Real estate agents always say they are not responsible, it is the client. I had a big arguement with one as they were refusing to pay until the rent came in. But I pointed out that I had written permission from them, they eventually paid. I now put on any quotes for RE's that if they accept the quote they are responsible. Generally I avoid Real estate agents, and go more for Body corporates.

Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920212223242526272829