Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Websites

Default Websites

If I get a website built by, say Bluey - are there ongoing costs to maintain it? I know mobs like Vista charge a monthly fee, does this apply if someone like Bluey creates one for you? What sort of (rough) prices are involved?

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Default Re: Websites

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye
    If I get a website built by, say Bluey - are there ongoing costs to maintain it? I know mobs like Vista charge a monthly fee, does this apply if someone like Bluey creates one for you? What sort of (rough) prices are involved?
    Hosting fees???

The best website to have is the one you can change yourselve instantly at anytime.

Please Support The Sponsors www.lawnmowingdirectory.com.au

As they support this forum

Carrum downs Dandenong Doveton

There is the hosting and also domain registration which is pretty cheap. I think mine is about $35 for two years, hosting is about $9 per month, but it depends on how much space you need. You can also pay for advertising on things like Google Adwords so it comes up as a sponsored link. Seems to be working pretty well for me and is relatively cheap.

Is there a way of avoiding hosting charges i.e. do you have to go through a host?

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

Whats a fair price for a website these days 100 bucks 200 bucks

Senior Member Wombat Garden Services's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Websites

You can avoid hosting costs if you use your free web space your isp gives you, a domain name is fairly cheap, maybe $20 a year or less, A basic website is pretty easy to do yourself, this is one I bodgied up myself using my tpg webspace http://users.tpg.com.au/adslmgf9/index.htm

How long is a piece of string. There are web sites and there are websites. There is hosting and there is hosting. You have a plethora of options out there. Hosting packages come in all shapes and sizes and costs as do websites. You can build your own or get someone to build one.

But one thing is certain. If you don't do it properly you may as well not do it at all because all you will have is a website that no one sees. You have to optimize it for search engines and that is the tricky bit.

Many just want a fixed website they never ever change others want to change them all the time. Some want to do the changes them selves and others want to have someone do it for you. Websites are like used cars. You can get good ones and you can get lemon and everything in between.

Whatever you do make sure you know what your getting and it is like mowers. You pay for quality although there are a lot out there charging through the nose for a website.

Admin..if you reckon you can get a website for $100 to $200 these days your dreaming. That would be the lawn grub web page service. Many web companies will charge from $2000 to $3000 which is exhorbitant in my book and clearly over priced.
    Last edited by administrator; 18-05-2010 at 06:44 PM.
    Cheers

Bluey
    Adelaide Home & Garden Solutions
    http://www.ahgs.com.au

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Quote Originally Posted by Wombat Garden Services
    You can avoid hosting costs if you use your free web space your isp gives you, a domain name is fairly cheap, maybe $20 a year or less, A basic website is pretty easy to do yourself, this is one I bodgied up myself using my tpg webspace http://users.tpg.com.au/adslmgf9/index.htm

Wombat... not bad for a website in a can but do a web search on lawn mowing Kingscliff NSW and see where it polls if you don't make the first 5 o 6 results forget it. The only thing getting you up there at the moment is your entry in DLook
    Cheers

Bluey

"Success occurs when no one is looking, failure occurs when everyone is watching."

Any of you who currently have a website should do a search on your major search terms in Google. If you don't make the first page you need to do some work on it. people kooking for your services won't go beyond the first page. 95% of them wont go beyond the first 5 listings
    Cheers

Bluey

The other major thing about websites is security. With these websites in a can they basically build themselves and security is not even thought of. Any 8 yr old script kiddie can hack them and they do. They actually run contests to see how many pages they can hack.

When you are looking for a website ask about their security because without working on security of your page it is akin to having s** in brothel in China without protection....you WILL eventually catch something pretty bad that is really going to upset your day
    Cheers

Bluey

I have a lawn grub special lol $99 bucks per year.

www.brisbanebackyards.com

If you do a search Bluey as well as others have given out some really good free advice over the years, which I have followed and my site ranks pretty well for Brisbane and no 1 for my suburb.

I have found doing it myself lacks the refinement and optimisation of a pro site, I would love to know how to get to no 1 on google maps and stay there I have got to no 2 before and my position goes up and down I have notice all bluey’s sites are no 1 in search results and no 1 on Google maps pretty handy if you want to get noticed.

The only advertising I do is my web site and all my jobs come from it so it works pretty well could be a lot better though

So i reckon on your words Bluey the lawn mowing directory would of cost Indy about 7 to 8 thou yes

lol...not sure Admin...not unless I can have look under the hood.
    Cheers

Bluey

Senior Member Wombat Garden Services's Avatar

Wink Re: Websites

Thanks Bluey "Wombat... not bad for a website in a can" except there was no can, I did it myself from bits borrowed from here & there, its really basic & cost me nothing, your so right about search rankings, I'm sure its more than just having the right keywords,Ill have to investigate this sometime, when I do a google search for wgs, the hotfrog listing comes up first for me

Page 1 of 13 12345678910111213 LastLast