Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum

Thread: What is the fuel economy for 01 hilux 2.7ptrl trayback?

Default What is the fuel economy for 01 hilux 2.7ptrl trayback?

Is it normal to just do around 450 on a full tank (60L?)? Ill try run it without the trailer but i kinda still get the same figures.

My other rav4's full tank is around 44L and gets me 500klms on its own and just over 400klms with trailer fulltime.

If you have similar vehicle could you tell me your fuel consumption?

Member Tender Lovin Lawn&Garden's Avatar

Default Re: What is the fuel economy for 01 hilux 2.7ptrl trayback?

Quote Originally Posted by VJinTownsville
    Is it normal to just do around 450 on a full tank (60L?)? Ill try run it without the trailer but i kinda still get the same figures.

My other rav4's full tank is around 44L and gets me 500klms on its own and just over 400klms with trailer fulltime.

If you have similar vehicle could you tell me your fuel consumption?
    petrol hiluxs arnt good on fuel ive heard a lot worse figures. 7.5 klms a liter is ok my uncles old hilux was 3 klms a liter
    Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care
    We do everything for your lawn and garden with tender loving care
    find us on facebook under Tender Lovin Lawn and Garden Care

not a hilux but my petrol rodeo with a 50 ltr tank is lucky to get 300 klms

My old 2.7L Hilux got between 400 and 500k's depending on whether I had the trailer on and if in heavy traffic. I think the most I ever got was about 530k's off a tank but it was almost empty! Even when travelling to Queensland I think I only got about 500 off a tank.

My new 4.0L is about the same k's but it has a 72L tank. Heaps more power though.

My boss through the week has a hilux with the same issues. Says he should buy a service station.

I have a 2008 Colorado and same thing, 70 litre tank and towing trailer only get about 460km. Without trailer just scrape 500km.

Talk about thirsty!!!!!
    Life's a garden, dig it! Life's a garden, dig it!

my 80 series landcruiser does 20l per 100km on petrol and 30l on gas.

I think i am soley responsible for pushing up fuel prices and causing a shortage of fuel

Very Helpful Member

i get about 340k in my mitsubishi van on a 55 lt tank
    Anything Ian says may or may not be garbage, it may also be his own opinion or it may not be his opinion at all, it may just be something he felt like stating anyone following his advice does so at their own risk and may be doing something Ian would actually advise against.
    And if you don't like what Ian has to say use the ignore function if you don't know how ask i will gladly tell you

Wow...seems like I should have stuck to my rav4!

400-430klms with trailer doing 10/100 is great! although the smell of fumes and other crap fouling the inside isnt great

I am looking at a 2000 xtra cab hilux on 2.7 donk. same as on my trayback hilux.

Would they be doing the same figures. Would the xtracab styleside use more since it is higher and heavier or the trayback with boxy tray and racks use more?

4 litre 1997 Falcon auto ute, approx 450km with trailer, or 650km highway without trailer before the fuel light comes on, and it usually takes 60L give or take one to fill. So about the same, the trailers really suck the fuel.

If you want fuel economy you need to buy a Diesel vehicle as towing does not affect the economy all that much not like a petrol vehicle. That's why all trucks are diesels. I have a old diesel Ute and towing a trailer or not I get 600klms out of 58ltrs of diesel, the newer diesels get even better economy with more power.

Diesels for sure for towing, make sure their turbo-charged for economy

http://curraronggardening.com/

"All sin is washed away in the Holy goodness of Beer"
    Book of Redeye, Psalm 69

ive done 60k in six years from new in my hilux workmate so the petrol factor is small...have to work to keep the round down as low as you can go ..if you are lucky

Understanding that your looking for a 2000 or 2001 2.7, If you can stretch and I know it's easier said than done to a 2006 model, the economy is better, amongst other things.

I researched every 2.4 2.7 and V6 and several diesels prior to my purchase of a Aug build 06 hilux 2.7 in June 2010. I could have got an older Hilux 2.7 with a tippper tray. But decided the upgraded 2006 Workmate onwards model being more powerful as against the previous models. Whilst being a more fuel efficient workmate was a better choice for me and with the tandem I will be towing. Also its the most fuel efficient petrol engine in its class.
    I knocked back two V6 maxi cab Rodeos be it the V6 thailand engine or the newer Alloytec. There gas guzzlers in both models from reports. Plus I knew a V6 Hilux would need to come with a life time Shellcard.
    Really liked a demo model diesel Bt50 4X4, as there priced well compared to a diesel Hilux but the misses would have not got a Yaris in that deal.

So I got the the above mentioned 2.7, I must say I'm blown away by its economy. Far better than expected realising it's petrol. Can't give exact fuel figure, because I'm just happy with how slow the fuel needle moves for the vehicle it is.

I negotiated a further 3 full tanks of fuel in my deal and its going to take some time to use it.
    But a diesel would have been the ultimate though. So what I got in the 2.7 was the next best choice for me.
    Cheers Garry

I really like the look of this extra cab hilux 2000...the problem is its a 2.7l petrol and apparently chews a fair bit of juice. However its a few grand under what its worth. It has bigger exhaust, good tyres and other accesories that can make a bogan p-plater blush.

I was weighing up the option getting the petrol (this particular car) over a diesel model with these points:
    * Cheaper service and parts. Less often too
    * The car is already a great bargain (at 9000 maybe 3k cheaper than the other models), 6mths rego and RWC
    * Couple of grands worth of accersories (rollbar, exhaust, flares, stereo, tyres, rims etc
    * it looks great and sporty
    * diesel is sometimes more exxy than petrol.
    * seller will get it tuned before handing it over.

all the other diesels sell at 4-5k more and has a sh*tload of klms done already.