Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Fertilisers

Default Re: Lawn Fertilisers

I dont know why you would bother with fertiliser at this time of year, yes maybe some potassium, but nothing as high as that with nitrogen. May as well piss your $55.00 up at the pub would be better. Potassium is for strength in the roots and stems, nitrogen is for leaf growth. Fertilising might extend your mowing for a bit longer but at what cost as most clients would not pay the extra to have their lawns fertilised at this time of year. If you used the high potassium fertiliser and explained why you want to do it, they may go for it.
    As a greenkeeper we used to use slow release and the last dose was usually end of February early March. Fertiliser NPK was 10:5:23. Then nothing until we where getting ready to bring the greens out of winter. We would then give a high nitrogen fert of say 32 in late August or early September just to get the grass growing, dependant on frost zones, high frost zone we would leave it until late September or early October. We would then do a renovation in early October and we would feed the greens high nitrogen and potassium with lots of other minerals. Topsoil and water then every 8 to 12 weeks we would fertilise again right through to the end of Summer.

Davids, what about garden beds prior to mulching in the cooler months, would there be any benefit throwing a bit of blood and bone down around plants prior to mulching or not worth it?

I fertilise Commercial clients lawns demanding green and growth all year....and they have sprinkler system running all the bloody time too.
    Just in case theres other lawnies having the same type of clients.... This is good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    I dont know why you would bother with fertiliser at this time of year, yes maybe some potassium, but nothing as high as that with nitrogen. May as well piss your $55.00 up at the pub would be better. Potassium is for strength in the roots and stems, nitrogen is for leaf growth. Fertilising might extend your mowing for a bit longer but at what cost as most clients would not pay the extra to have their lawns fertilised at this time of year. If you used the high potassium fertiliser and explained why you want to do it, they may go for it.
    As a greenkeeper we used to use slow release and the last dose was usually end of February early March. Fertiliser NPK was 10:5:23. Then nothing until we where getting ready to bring the greens out of winter. We would then give a high nitrogen fert of say 32 in late August or early September just to get the grass growing, dependant on frost zones, high frost zone we would leave it until late September or early October. We would then do a renovation in early October and we would feed the greens high nitrogen and potassium with lots of other minerals. Topsoil and water then every 8 to 12 weeks we would fertilise again right through to the end of Summer.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Quote Originally Posted by steveo View Post
    Davids, what about garden beds prior to mulching in the cooler months, would there be any benefit throwing a bit of blood and bone down around plants prior to mulching or not worth it?
    For gardens yes it would not be a waste. If you have box hedges give them a dose of gypsum in early June and then in mid to late October will help them.

Yes I can understand the requirements by your clients but why use fertiliser so high in nitrogen. Nitrogen is made up of salts. You are going to end up with a salt problem in your lawns, even if they have irrigation going, they need to be based on a sand base so the salts from the fertiliser can be flushed through the soil profile. It may not happen over night but it will happen and then you will have a major problem as nothing will fix it bar flushing the soil profile, which will move the salts to another place for others to worry about. Places around Berry and Bomaderry now have that same problem and are now only just getting things back to where they can grow grass again. All the land had white crust on top of the soil, this was the salt layer had risen up through the soil from over use of fertiliser and lots of salty irrigation water.
    I know it stinks but I would feed their lawns with dynamic lifter in autumn and winter and then use the higher nitrogen fertilisers in Spring and Summer, this way you can have natural organics helping keep the soil healthy. I do believe there is now a low smell dynamic lifter available.

20150321_090122_resized_1.jpg
    This is what we are using at the moment to fertilize the lawns with chicken manure.

I only use the strong fertiliser in the summer months. Once only per year. I use dynamic lifter at the end of winter too. I use the non smelling one...
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidS View Post
    Yes I can understand the requirements by your clients but why use fertiliser so high in nitrogen. Nitrogen is made up of salts. You are going to end up with a salt problem in your lawns, even if they have irrigation going, they need to be based on a sand base so the salts from the fertiliser can be flushed through the soil profile. It may not happen over night but it will happen and then you will have a major problem as nothing will fix it bar flushing the soil profile, which will move the salts to another place for others to worry about. Places around Berry and Bomaderry now have that same problem and are now only just getting things back to where they can grow grass again. All the land had white crust on top of the soil, this was the salt layer had risen up through the soil from over use of fertiliser and lots of salty irrigation water.
    I know it stinks but I would feed their lawns with dynamic lifter in autumn and winter and then use the higher nitrogen fertilisers in Spring and Summer, this way you can have natural organics helping keep the soil healthy. I do believe there is now a low smell dynamic lifter available.
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

I tried chicken manure and it didnt work at all....
    Must be the climate
    Quote Originally Posted by urbanpatch View Post
    20150321_090122_resized_1.jpg
    This is what we are using at the moment to fertilize the lawns with chicken manure.

What's everyone using for flat weeds in the lawns ( kik & some buffalo)these days... A couple lawnies said weed and feed but all the reading I been doing indicates use a weed killer and a fertiliser Seperatly.....

Any clover/bindi/broadleaf product for me, its selective but be aware some aint friendly on buffalo lawns or parts thereof, read the label.

Weed and feed is poor mans Dicamba in my opinion, If your going to do the job properly I would recommend as you said do them separately.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

I'm 100% with djkgrounds. If you are serious about proper lawncare, get a backpack sprayer with a 3 nozzle boom and a commercial broadleaf weedkiller. I bit the bullet and bought a 20 litre drum of KambaM, can use it on all lawn types up here, even the local buffalo (haven't tested it on Sir Walter). Just make sure you are using the right chem for the lawn types in your area or you will be in more strife than Flash Gordon.

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

For a contractor to use weed & feed spray packs, looks totally unprofessional. BIN DIE for buffalo, KAMBA M for Kikuyu, Couch & Fescue.

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    For a contractor to use weed & feed spray packs, looks totally unprofessional.
    See it here all the time. They charge full price for the job that is half done as well.
    DJK Grounds & Gardens
    0416 931 867
    http://www.facebook.com/DJKGrounds?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by GardeningSolutions View Post
    For a contractor to use weed & feed spray packs, looks totally unprofessional. BIN DIE for buffalo, KAMBA M for Kikuyu, Couch & Fescue.

the principal or using the hose on sprays is safer, no misting, has anyone tried mixing there own and spraying. and is there commercial hose sprayers ?

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast