Independent LawnMowing Contractors Of Australia Forum
Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Lawn Fertilisers

Default Re: Lawn Fertilisers

Quote Originally Posted by Macka View Post
    the principal or using the hose on sprays is safer, no misting, has anyone tried mixing there own and spraying. and is there commercial hose sprayers ?
    Now there's an idea. I have a Gilmour All Purpose Sprayer that I use for applying Seasol/ Liquid fertilisers. Nah, skip that idea, stick with the backpack sprayer. To reduce misting, I use the coarsest spray nozzles I could get = big droplets of product.

WTF is going on here? The grass was looking worn so I fertilised the lawn by clients request last week.
    I used 2spec which is a poly coated product (doesn't burn) like I always do.
    And have never had this before...
    Any ideas ?image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Has it been dry?

Imoww I would check for lawn beetle.
    As their at adult stage now and feeding on roots.
    Cheers astro.

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Is it all over the lawn or just there. Kind of looks like it could be a pest like spidermite, lawn beetle or army worm.

Not the best pics mate. How did you apply the 2spec? Did you spill any? Did the client water it in, was there a dew on the grass when you applied it ? A better picture might help but there has been a lot of army grub around lately, I just cant tell from those pictures

Thanks guys. It was applied evenly with Scotts spreader as per instructions and it was normal warm weather at the time.
    They had lots of rain also.
    What's the best way to tackle lawn bettle etc
    Everything looks good with a haircut.... ɐuıɥɔ ɯoɹɟ pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐl ǝɥʇ sʇɐɥʇ

Senior Member GardeningSolutions's Avatar

Spray with Chlorpyrifos and water in ,or buy lawn beetle granules and water in. The granules are safer.

The easiest way is go to Bunnings and buy a bag of scots lawn builder with grub killer in it. Its in a red bag, spin it on and give it a water. It has Bifentherin in it which will fix the little farkers up if that is the problem

Yep. Definitely looks to be lawn grub / beetle. Bunnings is the way to go for smaller areas; Unless you've already got Chlorpyrifos, it's expensive as you've got to buy a fair bit of it at once (and you also need to take full precautions when applying it). Just get the granular beetle killer and water it in. May need a second application a 10 - 14 days after but see how its going.

Another hint, if you want to see if it is lawn grub, go to the affected areas of lawn and pull on it, or slide you fingers under it and try and pull it up. Lawn grub wipe it out in sections, so you should be able to roll in back like carpet in those sections.

Its Bifenthrin........... sorry spelt it wrong. Chlorpyrifos is good stuff, but care needs to be taken. Baythroid is also available at Bunnings if you want to spray the lawn.
    Last edited by NLALM; 24-03-2016 at 06:05 PM. Reason: none

Thanks guys. Found that the neighbours lawns has the same issue which I didn't fertilise....

Using my own lawn as a test bed this year. Have a bit of Burr Medic (Clover family) in it at this time of year. Last year treated with Spearhead with good effect but it's back with a vengeance. Thinking of trying the following approach this time. Detaching using rake dethatcher & low mow(done) then fertilising with Baileys Brilliance with some urea added (apparently clovers hate high nitrogen fertiliser as they fix their own through root nodules). A few days afterwards thinking of sprinkling some Ferrous Sulphate Hepta directly onto any clover plants growing back. I picked up from the Iron Sulfate from a farm supply place a while ago and have been using it to lower the pH of a particularly alkaline garden bed. Iron Sulfate is apparently the main active ingredient of many granular weed feed products.

Apart from being careful not to spill any on pavers etc. Any other tips/advice? Rather than sprinkling on selectively should I mix some sand with it and apply it to the whole lawn (the added benefit being a green up of the lawn)?

I take it from the lack of response that no one thinks this is a good idea?

Quote Originally Posted by Crankitup View Post
    I take it from the lack of response that no one thinks this is a good idea?
    Could be everyone is getting ready for a good heavy growth period (Melbourne) and too busy on the tools

Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 LastLast